Weighing meat

Should I count the weight of meat before I cook it or after when recording it in my food diary?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    There are database entries for both. Use the appropriate one.

I weigh it uncooked.
  • autopilot_off
    autopilot_off Posts: 83 Member
    Of course it would be that simple. Thank you!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Raw whenever possible but as long as you use the correct entry for cooked our uncooked you should be good.
  • arrghmatey1
    arrghmatey1 Posts: 91 Member
    Are the fats from the meat retained in the recipe?

Cooking a burger weigh it cooked.

Cooking chili weigh it raw.
  • luisgromero132
    luisgromero132 Posts: 1 Member
    Are the food (meats) suggestions on their weight on this app raw or cooked. Im confused. Help. For example i choose a type of meat and next to it is either 120 grams or 4.0 ounces...is that raw or cooked because I've been thinking it means cooked and been eating that amount and more.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Are the food (meats) suggestions on their weight on this app raw or cooked. Im confused. Help. For example i choose a type of meat and next to it is either 120 grams or 4.0 ounces...is that raw or cooked because I've been thinking it means cooked and been eating that amount and more.

Entries should state whether they are raw or cooked.... If not, I'd find a different entry.
  • ldwatene
    ldwatene Posts: 150 Member

Entries should state whether they are raw or cooked.... If not, I'd find a different entry.

I've always wondered this as well. Good to know.

• Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 611 Member
    The USDA nutrient database is a great way to verify the MFP entries you are using. Whether cooked or raw.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Fwiw I always weigh mine cooked and use whatever entry, don't know if it's for cooked or not, and I've lost the weight I wanted to do even if it's off it wasn't by that much that it stopped me from losing
  • sosteach
    sosteach Posts: 260 Member
    I always weigh raw...by the time I cook it I want to EAT not weigh LOL.
  • mybigfat
    mybigfat Posts: 162 Member
    I have been doing raw as well
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Raw. Cooking methods will change the weight drastically.