Icy-cold no- low-cal drinks

kavahni
kavahni Posts: 313 Member
I'm jonesing for icy-cold drinks of the slushy variety. Rules for this question:
1) No artificial sweeteners.
2) No artificial sweeteners.
3) In case you didn't catch it...no artificial sweeteners!
I am not opposed to a small amount of real, Old-fashioned sugar, or a splash of fruit juice of some sort. I like to make things with Tru Lemon packets. I also like fizzy drinks like Lacroix.
I just can't get past those two things and the idea of blending up something I have frozen in ice cube trays.
Thoughts?
And, in case you missed it: please, no artificial sweeteners! Thank you.

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,514 Member
    Sounds like you might like to use frozen berries. Costco has good ones. Welches as well. Berries, milk (or soy or yogurt), a banana, protein powder (opt), hoo boy!
  • kavahni
    That would be a great way to start the day, but it is not really no-cal/low cal. Just want a drink, not a meal, but thanks!
  • SarahLascelles1
    SarahLascelles1 Posts: 95 Member
    Cold brewed ice tea
  • lilolilo920
    lilolilo920 Posts: 184 Member
    Forgive me but, out of curiosity I have to ask-what's "wrong" with artificial sweeteners?
  • MamaOfTwo2017
    MamaOfTwo2017 Posts: 7 Member
    Seltzer water or sparkling water infused with cucumbers or orange slices/frozen berries. Any fruit or vegetable will work. For even fewer calories you could use mint leaves or other edible plant leaves. You can freeze all of these inside your ice cubes too if you prefer.
  • mybigfat
    mybigfat Posts: 162 Member
    You can freeze fruit in ice cudes to add a tiny bit of mint to your wster or a cinnamon stick
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,514 Member
    kavahni wrote: »
    That would be a great way to start the day, but it is not really no-cal/low cal. Just want a drink, not a meal, but thanks!

Yeah, got carried away.

You can make tea and ice it with fruit chunks (fresh pinapple is great). Strain over ice. Really good!
  • GoldenEye_
    GoldenEye_ Posts: 330 Member
    I'm with @MamaOfTwo2017 That's really delicious! Lipton also has ice tea bags. They don't have all the additives iced tea from cans have and come in normal tea bags. This is one of their serving suggestions:
    5f70dd2c-db35-474f-98a2-5e52bc880dea_1.0671f7f9f0ccb80271387a60eed04ac7.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF
  • sak20011
    sak20011 Posts: 94 Member
    I like to freeze strong coffee in cubes, then blend with a bit of half n half or splash of full fat coconut milk and small amount of sweetener (splenda, agave, whatever). Kind of like a frappuccino but far fewer calories and cheaper .

I also do sparkling water with a splash of cranberry and fresh lime.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    You could freeze berries and water in ice cube trays and blend them with your fizzy water for a fruit infused slushie. Or frozen chunks of watermelon.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    I like to blend crushed ice with a little lime juice and agave syrup, add a shot of tequila. :drinker:
  • kavahni
    Thank you for the great ideas! Totally forgot about a few of them.
    Btw kommododevaran: I am already a mega water drinker. My fave drink of all time. I have a glass of it with ice on hand all day, every day. I grew up on amazing well water that started me drinking water early on. Just need something watery that's a bit different to mix it up a bit on days I up my intake due to the heat.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    I throw things in my water. Cucumber. Watermelon. Berries. Mint. Flavoured water is fun.

I also brew water kefir, which is low sugar/calorie by the time the scoby eats all the sugar and carbonates it for me. It's fizzy and probiotic and I kind of love it. Rhubarb is my current flavour. :) Look into it if you want a new hobby and a new cold drink.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Herbs like rosemary or basil also add a nice flavor to your water. You could also look into non-alcoholic Bloody Mary recipes. People concentrate on the fruit and berries and forget veggies can make great drinks too.