Protein Donuts using your favorite protein pancake mix

Geocitiesuser
Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
sCikn8r.jpg

lWjniwX.png

Here I used flapjacked buttermilk, but you can use any "just add water" brand (or make your own out of whey isolate, baking powder, and flour).

The icing is just a serving of chocolate pb2 mixed with unsweetened almond milk (not in nutrient panel above)

For flavoring I used oh my spice birthday cake flavoring, if you're using cocoa powder or pb2 or similar for the flavoring you might want to up it to about 20g instead of 10 as the flavor really didn't come through for me.

The portions of yogurt, apple sauce, and almond milk don't need to be exact. "about" 40g each of apple and yogurt, and just keep splashing almond milk (or milk of your choice) in until you get a pancake batter like consistency.

If you don't have donut molds, I did this the other week in a cake pan.

Other icing idea is greek yogurt mixed with a bit of whey or casein (casein is a little creamier if you have it on hand).

Optional: Add splenda/sweetner/honey to either the batter or the icing to taste.

Bake roughly 10-12min at 350 degrees for 6 donuts.

I just bought my donut mold and this is my first batch of protein donuts and wanted to share! They came out amazing!

Replies

• Geocitiesuser
    89 calories, 9 g protein. Three makes breakfast and that's 27 g protein. WIN!

My thoughts exactly!
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    I'm inspired to get a doughnut mold now--thanks!
  • Geocitiesuser
    I bought silicon molds from amazon. It was 10 bucks for two 6 donut trays. There was zero sticking and everything cooked very evenly. I might buy more silicon bakeware in the future after this.
  • chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    I have a feeling this recipe is about to change my life
  • Geocitiesuser
    @chelseahatch24 i modified this recipe from the flapjacked website, the original was for "apple donuts". In case you want to see my source material before I tweaked it. Four donuts later i will confirm they came out great lol. Tomorrow im going to sub out the yogurt and apple for a ripe banana and make more.
  • mybigfat
    mybigfat Posts: 162 Member
    Yum!!
  • chelllsea124
    aw, crap. I don't have a donut tray!!!
  • glasstacular
    glasstacular Posts: 56 Member
    I know what I'm doing tomorrow!
  • chelllsea124
    I might have to try to cake pan option before I get the molds. Molds wont be here fast enough!!!! LOL!
  • glasstacular
    I might have to try to cake pan option before I get the molds. Molds wont be here fast enough!!!! LOL!

This girl has no patience.
  • Geocitiesuser
    edited June 2017
    I didn't take a pic of the cake version I did, but I used an 8x8 pan, and cooked about 15ish minutes at 350. Make sure you check it with a tooth pick to not over cook. Then I used fat free cream cheese as an icing. (It was an apple cake using flapjacked apple pancake mix). Protein baking powder is kinda magic. lol.
    lmao.. at risk of becoming a donut. I laughed a little too hard at that.

Donut shaped fritatta, donut shaped falaffal, donut shaped meatloaf.... lol. Plus it helps portion it out.
  • chelllsea124
    I didn't take a pic of the cake version I did, but I used an 8x8 pan, and cooked about 15ish minutes at 350. Make sure you check it with a tooth pick to not over cook. Then I used fat free cream cheese as an icing. (It was an apple cake using flapjacked apple pancake mix). Protein baking powder is kinda magic. lol.
    lmao.. at risk of becoming a donut. I laughed a little too hard at that.

Donut shaped fritatta, donut shaped falaffal, donut shaped meatloaf.... lol. Plus it helps portion it out.

hahahahaha
  • chelllsea124

:|
  • glasstacular

The smily face didn't show in my reply. :( I was teasing, as I was gonna do the same thing. Instead my comment just made me look like a jerk.
  • chelllsea124

The smily face didn't show in my reply. :( I was teasing, as I was gonna do the same thing. Instead my comment just made me look like a jerk.

oh thank god you were kidding!!! hahaha