Can we bake stewing beef in the oven ? if so how long

So i have this huge pack of beef cubes (1.2kg ) and i want to bake it. Ive been baking most of my food , salmon, chicken thighs, hotdogs etc. is it possible just to tosss some marinade or spices n bake it? or is it something only done for steaks

Replies

• annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    You can, but it might be super tough. Be careful not to overdo it. Do you have a meat thermometer? Generally, if it's sold as stewing beef, it's because it will benefit from a slow cooking method with moisture (like throw it in the slow cooker for 6 hours with some kind of sauce).
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Not dry, but if you marinade it and THEN cook it in liquid, covered, it will work out all right, provided you cook it for a long time to tenderize in there. Include a bit of apple cider vinegar as a tenderizer in the liquid.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    For a fast cooking method - you're better off marinating it and then grilling it like a kabob.

Otherwise slower roasting (with liquid).
  • Adi4Fitness
    Adi4Fitness Posts: 97 Member
    TeaBea wrote: »
    For a fast cooking method - you're better off marinating it and then grilling it like a kabob.

this sounds interesting . i have an oven and a roasting grill with a drip pan. How long does it take to cook?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member

this sounds interesting . i have an oven and a roasting grill with a drip pan. How long does it take to cook?

There's a reason it's called "stewing" beef. That's a very clear message of the best way to cook it to get moist, tender, palatable results. Don't use a drip pan. You're better off cooking it covered in liquid. If you want to do that in an oven at a baking temperature, put it in a Dutch oven, casserole dish, or any oven proof pan or pot that you have. Add liquid, such as broth, beer, wine, apple juice, canned tomato product, water, or some combination of those. Then cover with a lid or aluminum foil if you don't have a lid.
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    edited June 2017
    You'll want to braise stew meat, even if you are putting in the oven. Sear it off on the stove top, then put it in a roasting pan, dutch oven, or casserole dish with liquid covering it and a lid or aluminum foil on top. I think you'll want to cook it at around 300 degrees, maybe for 2 hours? You'll still be stewing the meat, just in the oven instead of a crockpot or stovetop. Think beef stew: you cook it for a long time, at a low time and the meat falls apart. You're trying to accomplish that in the oven. Beef broth with some onions, carrots, and celery would be good! Or you could do some stewed tomatoes with paprika, mushrooms, and onions and put it over some rice or spiralized veggies.
  • Adi4Fitness
    Adi4Fitness Posts: 97 Member

There's a reason it's called "stewing" beef. That's a very clear message of the best way to cook it to get moist, tender, palatable results. Don't use a drip pan. You're better off cooking it covered in liquid. If you want to do that in an oven at a baking temperature, put it in a Dutch oven, casserole dish, or any oven proof pan or pot that you have. Add liquid, such as broth, beer, wine, apple juice, canned tomato product, water, or some combination of those. Then cover with a lid or aluminum foil if you don't have a lid.
    Absolutely right. Being the dumbass that i am i tried a portion of the beef with marinade and drip pan. IT turned out looking great on the outside but hard and chewy and a total pain in the mouth to eat it, my jaws still hurt.

Lesson Learnt.
  • CoueCoue
    CoueCoue Posts: 69 Member

(For future reference) This ^^. Then the absolute KEY is to cook at a SUPER LOW temperature (the lowest your oven has likely). The liquid inside should barely bubble and leave it cooking like that for 2-3 hours (or longer depending how low your oven goes!), checking occasionally to ensure there is still enough liquid.

Allowing it to bubble or worse BOIL in the liquid is what makes it tough. (Many years of trial and error, I have learnt this!)