WANTED: Opinions on vegetarian/vegan diet

If anyone is considering being or already is vegetarian/vegan or is just curious why the heck someone would want to be, I highly recommend the documentary titled "What the Health". It's on Netflix and could be found elsewhere. I already don't eat much meat just because I don't like it, but I am considering being vegan again. I am curious as to what everyone's opinion are on this!

Replies

• YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    What does it matter what other people think? If that's what you want to do, just do it. Just make sure you are hitting your macros: Fat, carbs, protein in a healthy way. You can make any diet work, as long it is a diet that YOU want to do. And by "diet", I mean "lifestyle". If it's something you can stick to, and make work, go for it!!!
  • dancefit2015
    dancefit2015 Posts: 236 Member
    My opinion: I have been vegan for ten years, one of the best decisions I have ever made. I wish the trend of documentaries trying to scare people into a plant-based diet would end.

If you are talking about the gory graphic videos of animals being slaughtered then I agree, but the one I recommended is all about the health and the misinformation surrounding diabetes, heart health, cancer, etc...
  • dancefit2015
    edited June 2017
    @YvetteK2015 awesome advice and I completely agree! I have already decided I will be vegetarian, it's vegan that is hard. Last time I was vegan I was very unhealthy as there are many junk foods that are vegan *ahem* Oreos...
    So if anyone has any delicious vegan recipes please share those here as well!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    My opinion: I have been vegan for ten years, one of the best decisions I have ever made. I wish the trend of documentaries trying to scare people into a plant-based diet would end.

If you are talking about the gory graphic videos of animals being slaughtered then I agree, but the one I recommended is all about the health and the misinformation surrounding diabetes, heart health, cancer, etc...

I think the scare tactics that meat etc are carcinogenic would be the ones to watch for...smh

That in itself makes me wonder what the deal is.

Vegetarian is one thing but full on vegan eh...

I don't understand the need to give up meat for health...ethics maybe but not health.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member

Isn't this the "documentary" that claims veganism will cure certain disease? As well as sensationalizes a number of other things?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    My opinion is that I like meat and will continue to eat it. It is also my opinion that that "Documentary" is far from factual.
  • butterflylady86
    butterflylady86 Posts: 369 Member
    I have been vegetarian for over a year. I would never go back to eating meat. I also eat clean and do Intermittent Fasting. I believe to each his own. If you want eat meat then that's your choice.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    @YvetteK2015 awesome advice and I completely agree! I have already decided I will be vegetarian, it's vegan that is hard. Last time I was vegan I was very unhealthy as there are many junk foods that are vegan *ahem* Oreos...

I don't understand this. Oreos and foods like that aren't *more tempting* to vegans than non-vegans. If you have trouble moderating your consumption of treats as a vegan and it keeps you from meeting your nutritional needs, wouldn't you have the same issues as a non-vegan?
  • dancefit2015

I don't understand this. Oreos and foods like that aren't *more tempting* to vegans than non-vegans. If you have trouble moderating your consumption of treats as a vegan and it keeps you from meeting your nutritional needs, wouldn't you have the same issues as a non-vegan?

I think it was just the place I was in when I tried being vegan. I hung out with people who didn't care about nutrition and at that period in time I wasn't too concerned either. Also there are less food options for vegans so I think it was just me compensating or something, honestly idk what I was doing back then. Now I eat much healthier, so I think it would be better and more nutrition based.
  • dancefit2015
    Also @janejellyroll I would eat many vegan food substitutes and just make these weird mock foods that just weren't healthy. It was my first go at it and I didn't have the right guidance
  • dancefit2015
    My opinion is that I like meat and will continue to eat it. It is also my opinion that that "Documentary" is far from factual.

Why do you say that?
  • janejellyroll
    Also @janejellyroll I would eat many vegan food substitutes and just make these weird mock foods that just weren't healthy. It was my first go at it and I didn't have the right guidance

Yeah, whether you are vegan or non-vegan, you'll want to eat in a way that meets your nutritional needs. That can include vegan foods substitutes (foods like plant milks, seitan, and nut cheeses all have a lot of nutrients) or not, depending on your preferences.
  • jhildebrandt73
    jhildebrandt73 Posts: 290 Member
    I don't think you should label yourself as one thing or another. Just be aware of what you are putting in your body and the way it affects you. Just care about yourself.
  • janejellyroll
    I don't think you should label yourself as one thing or another. Just be aware of what you are putting in your body and the way it affects you. Just care about yourself.

"Just care about yourself" seems like a potentially empty way to go through life. What if I also want to care about other individuals and the impact I have on them?
  • jhildebrandt73
    jhildebrandt73 Posts: 290 Member

"Just care about yourself" seems like a potentially empty way to go through life. What if I also want to care about other individuals and the impact I have on them?

You mistook my meaning. By no means only care about yourself. But if you have a child, and you love them, you want the best for them. You care about them. Why would you not do the same for yourself. We all need to love each other more.
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    I think it was just the place I was in when I tried being vegan. I hung out with people who didn't care about nutrition and at that period in time I wasn't too concerned either. Also there are less food options for vegans so I think it was just me compensating or something, honestly idk what I was doing back then. Now I eat much healthier, so I think it would be better and more nutrition based.

Yeah, I've been vegan for 20 years now and I don't regret it at all.

However, when I was in my teens I tried to go vegan once and failed at it, and it was because I was not eating for health at all. It wasn't that bad foods were more tempting to me as a vegan, but more that if I was hanging out with friends there often weren't really vegan options so what I'd eat would usually not be very nutritious. Oreos actually weren't vegan back then, but I ended up eating a lot of the same stuff all the time--steamed broccoli and rice, spaghetti marinara, and lots and lots of bread--if you notice a pattern there I was eating mostly refined carbs and no real protein.

I didn't have much guidance from others actually, but when I tried again, and this time I stuck with it, I made a real effort to eat a very balanced, whole foods based diet. Back then I mostly cooked everything I ate as there were not so many vegan "convenience foods." I'd have my friends over and I'd cook--most weren't vegan but were happy to eat something I'd cooked most of the time. And I was incredibly active then too, honestly.

However, now, it's just too easy for me to over-eat, even on so-called "healthy foods." For example, there are Amy's frozen dinners that are pretty decent and have good foods in the ingredients, but I still have to worry about the total calories I'm consuming. Now there are vegan desserts everywhere honestly. It's easy for a few extra calories here and there to add up over time.

However, now, since I've recommitted to being healthy I am eating more whole foods and salads (light on the dressing) and I'm doing a lot better. It was easy for me to fool myself that I could eat all the beans and rice I wanted because "it's healthy." In truth, for me to keep a healthy weight, I just cannot do that.

• janejellyroll

You mistook my meaning. By no means only care about yourself. But if you have a child, and you love them, you want the best for them. You care about them. Why would you not do the same for yourself. We all need to love each other more.

Apologies for misunderstanding you.

As someone who claims the label "vegan," I do it because I think it's important to have a word that describes opposition to unnecessary animal exploitation. When it comes to movements for political, ideological, or social change, having terms to describe different positions can be useful.

As a minor point of personal convenience, having a label to describe a lifestyle of avoiding animal products also makes it easier for me to purchase food, clothing, and personal care products. So I like it for that reason also.
  • dancefit2015
    To everyone who has said they don't like these kinds of documentaries, can you please explain? This one it seemed that every statement made either came out of the mouth of a doctor or another highly qualified individual, or from the context of a scientific journal that was written based off of studies. Please don't just say it's wrong because you eat meat everyday and have perfect health... I would never bet my health on a study that involved one person. So what do you think is true about meat and health? Why? What are your sources? Evidence? Give me something real.