Stretch Marks

I'm 22, female and 6"1'. I've lost 15 pounds and I seem to be getting more stretch marks, even as I steadily lose weight. Anybody know why? Or what to do to help minimize the appearance of them?

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    It could just be they haven't caught up shrinking with the weight loss shrink. Skin needs time to retract as it were.

And I'm afraid there's nothing you can do topically. they're scars and take as long as they take. I can tell you though, 60lbs down, in some areas mine are barely visible. In others the same as they were. It is what it is and very few women don't have stretch marks. Very few men too.
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    edited June 2017
    Mine (from pregnancy and years of obesity and of course puberty before all that) are swiftly fading and shrinking with my weight loss. Nothing will make them go faster . It just takes time and patience.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,262 Member
    You already had them. They become more visible as you lose but then fade a bit as your skin shrinks. I've gone through several phases of this as I've lost weight.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    I agree with the others, they aren't new you just see them now, they get kinda wrinkly as you lose but it'll smooth out over time. I found that jergens natural glow lotion helped to hide them as its a light self tanner and makes everything look a bit more uniform.

Most everyone has them and if you ever see photos of women without them they've been photoshopped out, same with cellulite.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    edited June 2017
    They do fade with time. I got very lucky with my pregnancy and only got them above my *pubic* bone mostly and they're just kind of shiny white. I was extremely thin back then, so I dodged a bullet on not getting a billion, but guaranteed you notice them more than anyone else ever will. And as others said... as you shrink, they shrink... and if they have color... that will fade over time from what I've seen.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    edited June 2017
    They do fade with time. I got very lucky with my pregnancy and only got them above my public bone mostly and they're just kind of shiny white. I was extremely thin back then, so I dodged a bullet on not getting a billion, but guaranteed you notice them more than anyone else ever will. And as others said... as you shrink, they shrink... and if they have color... that will fade over time from what I've seen.

Yes the red or purple ones lose their color over time and turn silvery which us much less noticeable.

(I'm sure you meant pubic bone :D )
  • WendyLeigh1119
    They do fade with time. I got very lucky with my pregnancy and only got them above my public bone mostly and they're just kind of shiny white. I was extremely thin back then, so I dodged a bullet on not getting a billion, but guaranteed you notice them more than anyone else ever will. And as others said... as you shrink, they shrink... and if they have color... that will fade over time from what I've seen.

Yes the red or purple ones lose their color over time and turn silvery which us much less noticeable.

Freaking Phone :D:D

Thanks, I may still have time to edit.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member

Freaking Phone :D:D

Thanks, I may still have time to edit.

What did you originally write? lol

OP, i got stretch marks with my first pregnancy, 25 years ago! They are still visible and some are still purple. It does royally suck, but there's nothing you can do about them once you have them. I have tried so many creams geared toward fading/getting rid of stretch marks and none have them have helped at all :(
  • WendyLeigh1119
    I wrote "public" bone.
  • Nichole_AZ
    Nichole_AZ Posts: 717 Member
    I have had good luck with vitamin c serum. It doesn't totally get rid of them but helps to lighten mine.