Novice marathon training. Welcome to join Me on my journey.

Hi. I have very few friends on here and wold love more. Please feel free to add me to follow a journey or follow people on a similar one. My Background is I've lost 40 pounds since January. Gone from a nowhere to now running 7 miles. I'm plagued with injuries such as a back/ disc problems and shin spints. I'm now injury free for 3 months after finding the right balance of fitness training and am ready to go on this journey. Id so love support and support others along the way. Thanks and best of luck to u all whatever your own goals.

Replies

• ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Cool story, can you please share some tips about the right balance fitness training? I'm a runner too (Just 5Ks for now), and I recently injured my back.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Awesome! Come check out the Long Distance Runners board here on MFP and feel free to add me as a friend.

Are you following a plan?
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    ABabilonia wrote: »
    Cool story, can you please share some tips about the right balance fitness training? I'm a runner too (Just 5Ks for now), and I recently injured my back.

Many times injuries occur because beginners do too much too soon. They also go to fast. Your lungs and heart will adapt to the runs much quicker than your tendons, ligaments, bones, and muscles. The best tips I can give are to slow down on your training runs (if you can't sing while you run you are going too fast) and don't add distance too quickly. One of the best ways to do this is to use a novice plan for your training. If you are just starting, couch to 5k is a good one. If you are past that, check out the 5k to 10k bridge app (prolly not the right name but you can find it).
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    dewd2 wrote: »
    ABabilonia wrote: »

Many times injuries occur because beginners do too much too soon. They also go to fast. Your lungs and heart will adapt to the runs much quicker than your tendons, ligaments, bones, and muscles. The best tips I can give are to slow down on your training runs (if you can't sing while you run you are going too fast) and don't add distance too quickly. One of the best ways to do this is to use a novice plan for your training. If you are just starting, couch to 5k is a good one. If you are past that, check out the 5k to 10k bridge app (prolly not the right name but you can find it).

Thanks for the tips. I actually hurt my back with kettlebells :( doctor told me to rest 7 to 10 days and then resume slowly my running. Still sucks that you get hurt when you are in a good rhythm.
  • Skyfallbw
    Skyfallbw Posts: 12 Member
    Great post Daniel. I hope to get back into shape soon with a walking program, but running seems too hard right now for me. Knees especially have given me a bit of trouble. How often do you train? Are you trying to set up a group of runners, or both?