What do you do when friends and family talk about weight?

I mean, talk about how much they weigh, what waist size they are...

Here's the story:

I lost it last week when I was out at some friends' house and the topic was median weight of men and women in USA. Okay so far, right? Then they started talking about how anyone who weighs more than 175lbs (!) should have to pay extra to fly on a plane.

Now, none of these people are in any way overweight. I'm workin on it (my moniker is my inspiration) but I keep getting the impression that some people believe it's easy to lose weight and anyone who is overweight--or in my case obese--is lazy.

How do you handle this? I wish I could have done something different but I don't know what that might have been. I felt like crying.

Thoughts?

My stats:

SW: 248.5
CW: 222.5
Goal: 175? LOL so I don't have to pay extra on these theoretical plane rides requiring 175 top weight..........

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    Ugh. People have no filter.

What happened to polite conversation? I mean, c'mon people.

And yeah, 175? That's probably three quarters of the adult population. I know this "pay more to fly" thing comes up in the forums every now and then.

I'm not touching it with any pole.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    I try to avoid all conversations about it. it also pisses me off when people says things like I am so fat- what does that indirectly say about anybody who is actually bigger?
  • SnackHips
    SnackHips Posts: 90 Member
    Luna3386 wrote: »
    I try to avoid all conversations about it. it also pisses me off when people says things like I am so fat- what does that indirectly say about anybody who is actually bigger?

I don't know. I do know that it is important to their mind. I use to think I was fat at 120lbs. I legitimately felt that way and I said it almost as a defense mechanism to say...I know you are thinking I'm fat and I want you to know that I know that you know. Lol in my defense I was skinny fat. I'm a lot bigger now but I also work out and have muscle but still legit fat.....the point is....I look at my 120lb picture and want to go back in time and punch myself but I truly felt fat then.
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    My mother in law visited (unfortunately) recently and said she didn't want to see her niece because she's so fat it grossed her out. Boy did I let her have it about how rude and judgmental that comment was how much it completely ticked me off.

I'm in the process of losing weight - does that mean I used to gross her out too? She's no oil painting let me tell you. So hypocritical. I just wanted to kick her out of my house right then and there. Grrrrrrr.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Well for that particular subject I'd say that 175 is a really arbitrary number, and people should only pay extra if they need two seats!
    In general though, it depends on the conversation. If it's an honest conversation, rather than a personal dig, I'd treat it as such and not worry about it. If it was intended to make the person bringing it up feel superior, I'd probably tell them to get over tnemselves and walk away.
  • workin_onit
    workin_onit Posts: 101 Member
    What do you mean when you say you lost it? Did you get angry and yell or did you cry or walk out"

After the "let's pick a number and anyone over that number should have to pay more" comment I said "I am NOT taking part in this conversation" slammed my phone on the table and muttered "so f**ked up" and went inside to get a glass of water. When I got back the conversation had changed.

I think I made my point but it was definitely clear that I had been hurt. Just harshes my mellow....

Yes you're right about always having a comeback hours later haha!

Here is what I thought of; "If people who weigh more than 175 have to pay extra, how much more do *kitten* have to fork over?"

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,809 Member
    What do you do when friends and family talk about weight?

I smile ... and if the opportunity presents itself during the course of the conversation, I suggest that they could sign up with MFP. After all, I dropped all my weight in two sets of 16 weeks each using MFP. :)
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    So sorry, very insensitive.

I was at a party and a guy started talking about how disgusting it is that his sister regained weight after her weight loss surgery. I was like "excuse me?" and he repeated that it was "disgusting." I was just like "look who you're talking to." I haven't had WLS, but I'm overweight.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    SnackHips wrote: »
    175lbs? What kind of men weigh that little? Haha

This isn't that nice either. Skinny shaming doesn't help the cause.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    I would say your friends are ignorant and being ridiculous considering they are likely not medical or fitness professionals to decide on what a proper weight is for people. Especially when they are not considering height in that equation. 175 on a 5 foot woman would look a hell of a lot different than 175 on a 6'4 male.

They are being simple minded thinking they can reduce everything in life to something simple like a general weight for everyone.

I would have said this to them. Then depending on their reactions I would think about getting new friends.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Your friends were being massive d**ks did any of them say anything to you afterwards, did they apologise? Like "really sorry OP noone was thinking of you when we having that conversation we don't see you as overweight, we're truly sorry we were so insensitive and don't want you to think we're passive aggressive bullying mass-poles" I mean seriously they sound like a bunch of body shaming teenagers. Urgh, screw those guys xxx

• workin_onit
    workin_onit Posts: 101 Member
    Ahhh, thanks everyone for the kind words.
    Your friends were being massive d**ks did any of them say anything to you afterwards, did they apologise? Like "really sorry OP noone was thinking of you when we having that conversation we don't see you as overweight, we're truly sorry we were so insensitive and don't want you to think we're passive aggressive bullying mass-poles" I mean seriously they sound like a bunch of body shaming teenagers. Urgh, screw those guys xxx

So I did not get an apology to my face. Hubby said the mass-pole "felt really bad" and had struggled with weight in the past. What that means I'm not sure. Are we talking 20 pounds or more like me? Unclear. Anyhow, I calmed down and I think mass-pole didn't want to bring it up again, considering my reaction. Pretty strong (for me)...

The conversation came out of talking about being on planes and how the seats are getting smaller but Americans in general are not. Maybe I took it too personally but honestly there weren't any other fat people on the patio. :wink:

I feel a lot better about it now, having some perspective from all of you! So thanks for that!

Looking back on it I was pretty raw from the weekend (this happened Wednesday), visiting a very sick relative and I was just sad.

So! Onward and upward, or is that downward????

*still* Workin_onit
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Resiliency is a wonderful thing. Good for you! Don't let anyone steal your mojo.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    What I do? Yawn and roll my eyes. People say the dumbest crap.
  • just8apple
    just8apple Posts: 400 Member
    Recently I said let's not fat shame each other and changed the subject
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    They hardly ever do. My 21-yo daughter started working at Arby's 3 months ago and informed me that she'd lost 15 lb after 2 months of it. She wasn't obese to start with but now she's looking really nice and trim. It's not my interest to draw my wife's attention to her size. She's aware of it and she'll work on it when her mental state is appropriate for it.

The last time she tried to use the treadmill she got distracted with her drink and fell off. It might be a while before she tries again.
  • Goldstr324
    Goldstr324 Posts: 19 Member
    edited June 2017
    I used to be upset by it, but now I welcome it since losing the majority of my weight and maintaining it for a year. The haters seem to have gotten quiet now lol. I am quite happy with their silence. I would love to share how I did it with my family but they don't want to hear it. You can get your power back too - just use their negativity as a motivation like I did!