Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fat Acceptance Movement

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,285 Member
    It's how MFP filters 'naughty' words.
  • MJ2victory
    MJ2victory Posts: 97 Member
    ahhhh thanks friend.

tbh whatever. Hate fat ppl all you want but why tell them? Sadism?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    MJ2victory wrote: »
    ahhhh thanks friend.

tbh whatever. Hate fat ppl all you want but why tell them? Sadism?

In general, I'd agree. However, some people just intentionally put giant neon 'Kick Me' signs on themselves, so the whole movement can scream victim when someone inevitably obliges. Tess Holliday is a shining example.
  • stormcrow2
    stormcrow2 Posts: 33 Member
    CipherZero wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    There seems to be a great deal of strawmen constructed in this thread.

I'm not seeing where anyone is condoning abusive behavior.

What I am seeing is a rational conclusion that being obese is not healthy, that you should always love yourself regardless of aesthetics, but you should love yourself enough to stay healthy.

100% agree, but have to point out that to "love yourself enough to stay healthy" is really almost impossible when you're constantly being told how horrible you are.

I think I've found the problem: needing external validation.

It's not needing external validation, it's being beaten down by a lifetime of opposition and disapproval. Once again, about ACCEPTANCE not VALIDATION.

The problem with the very vocal fat acceptance / HAES folks is there's simply no way to please them. Applaud their efforts and you're being condescending; ignore their efforts and you're part of the problem. Point out the flaws in their talking points (or worse, ask for clarification) and you're a troll.

From these dirtbags, you'll get arguments based on whatever nonsense they believe is true, and if you're not fat and supportive your opinion has no value despite the *kitten* they're peddling.

They can take their *kitten* attitudes, overweening baseless sense of pride, and fragile egos and *kitten* off into the sunset.

Well this explains way more than just HAES. this is the internet in a nutshell regardless of topic!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Great perception @MJ2victory. At 66 I have decided judging others is something that happens when I refuse to look at and correct my own personal harmful actions. Trying to control others I now believe can lead to one's own premature death and lower quality of life leading up to the premature death.
  • stormcrow2
    stormcrow2 Posts: 33 Member
    stormcrow2 wrote: »
    CipherZero wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    There seems to be a great deal of strawmen constructed in this thread.

I'm not seeing where anyone is condoning abusive behavior.

What I am seeing is a rational conclusion that being obese is not healthy, that you should always love yourself regardless of aesthetics, but you should love yourself enough to stay healthy.

100% agree, but have to point out that to "love yourself enough to stay healthy" is really almost impossible when you're constantly being told how horrible you are.

I think I've found the problem: needing external validation.

It's not needing external validation, it's being beaten down by a lifetime of opposition and disapproval. Once again, about ACCEPTANCE not VALIDATION.

The problem with the very vocal fat acceptance / HAES folks is there's simply no way to please them. Applaud their efforts and you're being condescending; ignore their efforts and you're part of the problem. Point out the flaws in their talking points (or worse, ask for clarification) and you're a troll.

From these dirtbags, you'll get arguments based on whatever nonsense they believe is true, and if you're not fat and supportive your opinion has no value despite the *kitten* they're peddling.

They can take their *kitten* attitudes, overweening baseless sense of pride, and fragile egos and *kitten* off into the sunset.

Well this explains way more than just HAES. this is humanity in a nutshell regardless of topic!

Fixed that for you.

agreed. even better
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Which cancer(s) does obesity cause, @Macy9336? This is news to me.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Oh, okay, I *had* heard about risk factors. But the use of the word 'cause' threw me and made me wonder if I'd missed something major. Thanks!
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Oh, okay, I *had* heard about risk factors. But the use of the word 'cause' threw me and made me wonder if I'd missed something major. Thanks!

All causes are just risk factors. There's no one thing that will always 100% of the time cause a certain cancer. Not even smoking.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited June 2017

All causes are just risk factors. There's no one thing that will always 100% of the time cause a certain cancer. Not even smoking.

Exactly this. We all have known plenty of people who made it into their 80s and 90s while choking down Lucky Strike and Camel unfiltered for seven decades, with nary the first glimpse of cancer.

That doesn't make it a good idea.

ETA: amusingly, there are precisely ZERO studies showing smoking as a direct cause of any of the ills in humans that it's known for. Lots of correlation work, but no actual causative. Why? It would never get past an ethics committee.
  • MJ2victory
    MJ2victory Posts: 97 Member
    moya_bleh wrote: »
    Wotan48 wrote: »
    At what point did this all get so misconstrued? Nobody ever said go get fat it's awesome, nobody ever said skinny sucks. It's about accepting who you are right now and understanding you deserve self love, no matter your size. Without self love and worth, how will you even care enough to lose weight or work out ? And there are a few people,who truly can't lose weight or have medical conditions that make weight loss extremely hard to impossible... they too have a right to self love and be accepted for who they are. Bottom line, don t judge unless your God.

You are exactly right in your post (+1 like from me!) However, the fat acceptance movement DOES give out a message of "Get fat, it's awesome" and "skinny sucks." You only need to look at the work of Tess Holliday, Virgie Tovar, Ragen Chastain, Kath Read, Kelly Jean Drinkwater and other such activists to see this.

do you have proof? I've never seen anything like that.