New to Veganisim

RhiRhi1984
RhiRhi1984 Posts: 3 Member
Hi!

New to being a vegan. It's been 4 days! I just want to build my network of other vegans and stay true to my health and compassion. I also want to make sure I'm doing it right and getting my daily vitamins through food. Please add me!

Replies

• Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited June 2017
    No daily multivitamin? There is a site called CronoMeter (I think) that breaks down just about every nutrient. Their database is nowhere near as close as this, but good for vegetarians since there are only so many fruits and vegetables. Very little junk food entries.
    East to use. I think easier than this since the prompt goes to the right place and you don't have to move the mouse. I found it to be faster than this due to this reason.
    I love this place due to the extensive database; including all junk foods. I wish they would add a spell checker. I can never spell brocolli right.
  • Darrin100366
    Darrin100366 Posts: 30 Member
    Hi and welcome, I started using this App and Endomondo back in late 2014 as I was becoming a couch potato!!

Just under 3 years later have journeyed from being a steak ribs and wings eater to Whole Food Plant Based (Vegan) lover.

Happy to add and be a handrail on your journey. Oh and I lost 42 lbs in the process
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    Long time vegan here. Just be aware you might need to take B12 and vitamin D. Some vegan foods have B12 naturally, like nutritional yeast and blackstrap molasses, but it's hard to eat enough of them to get all you need. Some vegan foods are supplemented with B12 too, so you can read the labels. But there's really nothing wrong about taking an extra supplement to make sure you're getting it. Vitamin D is tough because a lot of us, though not everyone, are slathering on sunscreen now out of fears about skin cancer. Vegan vitamin D comes from algae and is really easy to find and take.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    nevadavis1 wrote: »
    Long time vegan here. Just be aware you might need to take B12 and vitamin D. Some vegan foods have B12 naturally, like nutritional yeast and blackstrap molasses, but it's hard to eat enough of them to get all you need. Some vegan foods are supplemented with B12 too, so you can read the labels. But there's really nothing wrong about taking an extra supplement to make sure you're getting it. Vitamin D is tough because a lot of us, though not everyone, are slathering on sunscreen now out of fears about skin cancer. Vegan vitamin D comes from algae and is really easy to find and take.

Just as an FYI, nutritional yeast only has B12 if it is fortified with it (some brands are, some aren't) and blackstrap molasses has B6, not B12.
  • rbnb
    rbnb Posts: 11 Member
    I personally drink a fruit smoothie mixed with a couple scoops of Maximum Vibrance a few times per week. It has every known nutrient so a good way to make sure you aren't missing anything. I just blend with a typical fruit smoothie to mask the flavor. It was so difficult trying to worry about adding certain items constantly to my diet to make sure I wasn't missing anything. This is a much easier way!
  • tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    Hi there, long time vegan. feel free to add me.
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    Just as an FYI, nutritional yeast only has B12 if it is fortified with it (some brands are, some aren't) and blackstrap molasses has B6, not B12.

Thanks. I could have sworn blackstrap molasses was good, got my B vitamins mixed up.... You can tell I'm a supplement-taker so I haven't worried about foods as much!
  • dhnorton
    dhnorton Posts: 37 Member
    Multiple year vegan here too. Feel free to add me. Good job aligning your eating with your compassion! Any questions at all feel free to ask!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    nevadavis1 wrote: »

Thanks. I could have sworn blackstrap molasses was good, got my B vitamins mixed up.... You can tell I'm a supplement-taker so I haven't worried about foods as much!

It's understandable! I love blackstrap molasses so much -- in addition to the B6, it's got iron, calcium, and magnesium.