The Official Millennial (Generation Y) Thread

Replies

• denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    cee134 wrote: »
    Had to look this one up because I thought Millennials was a term for people born in the late 90's early 2000's.

Millennial is an identity given to a broadly and vaguely defined group of people. There are two wings of "Millennial" that are often at odds with each other: Generation Y (people born between 1981-1991) and Generation Z (born between 1991-2001). People of Generation Y often have characteristics similar to Generation X, which is why Generation Z will confuse Generation Y with Generation X and then claim to be the generation that represents "MIllennial," when in fact, birth years for Millennial range from about 1981-2001, just as the birth-years for Baby Boomers ranged from 1946-1964.

Both Generation Y and Generation Z can be called "Millennials," with the primary difference between the two being technology. Generation Y grew-up on personal computers, cell phones, and video game systems, while Generation Z has grown up on tablets, smartphones, and apps. Yet, the common ground between both generations is that both have been transforming and altering communication and identity--not just in the United States but globally.

I'm too old to be in the thread. Born in 78. I must be a tail end Gen X'er.

I just saw an article today calling us inbetweeners "Xennials". I stick with the mopey Gen X, thanks.

• angelxsss
    angelxsss Posts: 2,402 Member
    I loved Nickelodeon GAS
  • sw33tp3a1
    sw33tp3a1 Posts: 5,065 Member
    Lisa Frank school supplies....
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    DasItMan91 wrote: »
    You're just here for your trophy.

And what trophy that might be?

The "I showed up so give me an award" trophy.

Hmm. To be fair--we're fair here, right?-- Gen Xers are the ones who screwed up millennials by giving them trophies.

But that's one of those fun surprises in life: how each generation will screw up their children. Millennials are already hard at work screwing up the next generation, believe you me.
  • angelxsss
    BDonjon wrote: »

Hmm. To be fair--we're fair here, right?-- Gen Xers are the ones who screwed up millennials by giving them trophies.

But that's one of those fun surprises in life: how each generation will screw up their children. Millennials are already hard at work screwing up the next generation, believe you me.

Also the economy and the housing market and flooding the population with so many degrees that everyone needs one to do anything, virtually.
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    angelxsss wrote: »

Also the economy and the housing market and flooding the population with so many degrees that everyone needs one to do anything, virtually.

Trade skills are in high demand right now, most of which don't require a degree.
  • Cerealsensei
    Cerealsensei Posts: 1,625 Member
    Beast wars transformers was one of the greatest shows ever
  • nolan44219
    nolan44219 Posts: 1,221 Member
    eqjot09veq3z.jpg
  • angelxsss
    Caporegiem wrote: »
    angelxsss wrote: »

Trade skills are in high demand right now, most of which don't require a degree.

So that covers mostly just guys. Tell me the next solution
  • 1RedRoom
    1RedRoom Posts: 619 Member
    I was born before all of you 1970
  • nolan44219
    nolan44219 Posts: 1,221 Member
    1RedRoom wrote: »

You still have a generation Y butt it looks like tho
  • Cerealsensei
    Anybody still have their original SNES/N64?
  • 1RedRoom
    1RedRoom Posts: 619 Member
    nolan44219 wrote: »
    1RedRoom wrote: »

You still have a generation Y butt it looks like tho
    I just got this butt , it's pretty new around 3 yrs old now
  • Caporegiem
    ^This Nothing says a woman can't work in any of those fields.
  • angelxsss

Why I said mostly
  • LaPrincipessaFedele
    LaPrincipessaFedele Posts: 483 Member
    newmeadow wrote: »

I don't know why more women don't. I work with a woman, who started in construction in her 20s, joined the Teamsters and started making $40 an hour within the first two years with nothing but on the job training. She worked as a general laborer. She didn't have to break her back and the men minded their own business and didn't mistreat her. And she's petite, blonde and feminine.

Then, in her 40s, she put herself through LPN trade school and now does that. Let's just say, her work made her a homeowner and as comfortable as any white collar bachelor's degree holder without the debt and office politics.

So what do you do for work?
  • Cerealsensei
    Anybody still have their original SNES/N64?

original NES, Genesis, and N64. SNES died around a decade ago and i couldn't fix it.

Well they've got the SNES classic coming out in September. But knowing Nintendo only 4 units will be shipped out across the globe so it'll be almost impossible to get one
  • Caporegiem
    newmeadow wrote: »

I don't know why more women don't. I work with a woman, who started in construction in her 20s, joined the Teamsters and started making $40 an hour within the first two years with nothing but on the job training. She worked as a general laborer. She didn't have to break her back and the men minded their own business and didn't mistreat her. And she's petite, blonde and feminine.

Then, in her 40s, she put herself through LPN trade school and now does that. Let's just say, her work made her a homeowner and as comfortable as any white collar bachelor's degree holder without the debt and office politics.

Looking back when I was in high school I should've switched my trade school classes from PC Tech to HVAC. I live comfortably in IT but the commercial HVAC guys around here make a killing.