Uneven buttocks

I recently realized I had uneven buttocks. Also I feel one leg is stronger than the other. I just recently started working out and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with this problem. Should I work more on the weaker part or it will eventually catch up?

Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    I have this same issue. I do try to make sure I'm pushing evenly on both to make sure I'm not favoring one over the other. My weakest leg has gotten a lot stronger and is almost even with my stronger leg now. I googled it when I noticed and I guess it's common to have a dominant leg.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    It is pretty common. My glutes look the same but my left is weaker and doesn't activate as easily. Over time it got better doing more unilateral activation work. Check out these articles which may help:

https://bretcontreras.com/how-to-fix-glute-imbalances/

https://bretcontreras.com/2-1-method-fixing-glute-imbalances/
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Do uni-lateral exercises for imbalances. Most people have them to some degree.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    It is quite common to have a strength imbalance between your two legs.
    Researchers have measured the leg strength of soccer players. Now, you would think that nobody would be more even than someone who runs, runs, runs, right? They sprint. They are always on one leg and, over time, that has to even out with all the steps they take. (An average of six miles per game for professionals.) But, no. Those measurements showed that it is not uncommon for players to have as much as a 20-30 percent difference in strength between legs.
    It is just the way we are. We have a dominant side.
    Can you work on it? Sure. Imbalances aren't good if they are too pronounced. But you might be best off if you blend that work with a bit of acceptance too. It appears it is normal and inevitable too.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Everyone has muscle imbalances. It's about finding out if it's causing you pain or causing problems in other parts of your body.

Do single leg movements and focus on contracting the muscle rather than just moving the weight.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    your mileage may be different from mine. but if i had my start to do over again, i would have paid more specific attention to my own imbalances. i did ask a physio about it two or three years ago, and he told me it's 'not as big a deal as some people think' and it would equalize on its own if i paid attention to it.

i have been paying attention, but i have some mechanical restrictions and some veerrrrrry old movement patterns from an injury to my left foot in my teens. so he was wrong in my case: it wasn't enough. it's not that i'm not strong on both sides, four years later. and i don't really look any more wonky than anyone else. but my left-right recruitment patterns are so different that inside the skin my left side is often using a completely different set of muscles from my right side, to do the same work. i compensate like a boss, because the whole problem seems like it starts from my feet.

i really don't advise this, is all i'm saying. so i'd keep an eye on it and if you continue to have nagging Stuff going wrong, i'd follow up. for instance: take off your shoes and socks and see if you can do the same stuff with the toes on both feet. if not, work on that because the cliche about every lift starting from the relationship between your feet and the ground is not a cliche after all. it's the truth.
  • trdrsix0s
    trdrsix0s Posts: 11 Member
    I'd guess its a postural issue where one side compensates for your body's misalignment. Try and add some mobility work to identify spots where you're tight and rebalance your muscle structure. MobilityWOD by Kelly starret has a bunch of free videos on YouTube and a whole website for 10 per month to access daily WODs and searchable video library