What is the deal with avocados?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I'm from New Mexico...avocados have been all the rage for a very, very long time here. I've lived here for 30+ years and avocados have pretty much been a staple food for as long as I can remember...I love them...the fact that they're packed with nutrition is a bonus.
  • Hypsibius
    Hypsibius Posts: 207 Member
    I know avocados are all the rage. I feel like I am the only person out there who doesn't love them!

I absolutely love them.

What's not the love? They've got a smooth, creamy, fatty flavor. For these these are an essential addition to my lunches and breakfasts. I love them in guac, but also just cut up w/ some salt and pepper.
  • Canx2
    Canx2 Posts: 2 Member
    Love avocados, trying to grow my own indoors so I can get good and ripe ones...so hard to find a good one in the stores...<sigh>
    Love avocados, trying to grow my own indoors so I can get good and ripe ones...so hard to find a good one in the stores...<sigh>

• Canx2
    Canx2 Posts: 2 Member
    If you buy them and they r not ripe just put them in a drawer for a couple of days and they ripen very quickly. Love avocados!

• anielamm
    anielamm Posts: 3 Member
    I'm on the fence about avocados. I like guacamole and I don't mind them cut up in small chunks in a salad. In both instances, they are flavored by things around them. I am not sure if I would ever just eat them plain as they have minimal flavor and an odd consistency.
  • cwolfman13
    anielamm wrote: »
    I'm on the fence about avocados. I like guacamole and I don't mind them cut up in small chunks in a salad. In both instances, they are flavored by things around them. I am not sure if I would ever just eat them plain as they have minimal flavor and an odd consistency.

I don't know anyone who eats them plain...they're and accompaniment. I do sometimes scoop it right out of the shell, but always with salsa or something.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    For any Canadian avocado lovers, this is awesome:

http://www.presidentschoice.ca/en_CA/products/productlisting/pc-avocado-chunks.html

Use as much as you need, keep the rest frozen. Always perfectly ripe, too. <3
  • ThatLadyFromMN
    ThatLadyFromMN Posts: 301 Member
    Mmmm... avocados! I like to make my own guacamole and then instead of eating them with chips I eat them with cucumber slices. :) Also, cut an avocado in half, put it facedown on the grill... then put a scoop of salsa in where the pit should be... voila!
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    When my mom was pregnant with me she ate an entire avocado and an entire bag of popcorn (those old school ones in there long, clear bags) EVERY DAY.
    I blame her for my avocado love. And my love of salty snacks. I could easily eat an avocado with every meal, but... calories :'(
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    edited June 2017
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I'm from New Mexico...avocados have been all the rage for a very, very long time here. I've lived here for 30+ years and avocados have pretty much been a staple food for as long as I can remember...I love them...the fact that they're packed with nutrition is a bonus.

Can confirm, also from NM and avocados have been a staple in my house for as long as I can remember. They used to be a dessert in my house...scoop it out straight out of the shell with some salt. I would be lost with avocados in my life.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I love them. I assume they are expensive because I am in Chicago, not California, so they aren't local or even close.

I'm going to try making some avocado ice cream this week (been experimenting with my ice cream maker.)

Mostly just posting to say that I can't help but read the first post as if it were being said by Jerry Seinfeld, even in 2017. This is disturbing.

I was going to post the same exact thing :p

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

I don't know anyone who eats them plain...they're and accompaniment. I do sometimes scoop it right out of the shell, but always with salsa or something.

I eat them as a side dish with just a little salt quite often.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    I know I'm going gross some peeps out but I like my avocados with ketchup. Yum
  • myfightsong88
    myfightsong88 Posts: 20 Member
    California here. I love avocados! I eat one almost daily with a tiny amount of salt.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member
    I know I'm going gross some peeps out but I like my avocados with ketchup. Yum

Clearly we need a "gross" button as well as a "woo" button. :smile:
  • cwolfman13
    edited June 2017

I eat them as a side dish with just a little salt quite often.

Me too...but that's not plain...and when I do that, it's a side with other foods with other flavors. I guess what I meant was I don't really know anyone who just pulls out an avocado and goes to town on just the avocado...like as a snack on it's own or something. There probably are people who do that, but I don't know any and would think it fairly uncommon.
  • mom2kateRH
    mom2kateRH Posts: 178 Member
    I love them. I assume they are expensive because I am in Chicago, not California, so they aren't local or even close.

I'm going to try making some avocado ice cream this week (been experimenting with my ice cream maker.)

Mostly just posting to say that I can't help but read the first post as if it were being said by Jerry Seinfeld, even in 2017. This is disturbing.

I was going to post the same exact thing :p

me, too!
  • Julianne3155
    Julianne3155 Posts: 6 Member
    I guess its just a texture thing for me. Before I tasted one I was expecting some mind blowing flavor. I know they are very nutritious so maybe I will give them another try
  • retired0369
    retired0369 Posts: 3 Member
    Take an avocado, cut it in half, pull seed out, stuff it with tuna fish... it's a great side dish for snacking..
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    work_on_it wrote: »
    Seriously the only reason i bought avocados was for making soap. (I make luxurious soap from scratch).

The first rule about fight club...
    BAHAHAHA! This is exactly what my brother said to me when I first started making soap! *Hi5!*