Can I actually lose weight walking?

I get a minimum of 10k steps daily- working hard, not strolling. Weekdays I am averaging 16k.

I am keeping my calories at 1650 most of the time, though I let myself use my "extra" calories some times when I make at least 15k.

This is so slow going- am I ever going to really see definable results? I just wanna have a cute figure. (Healthier lifestyle is a side-benefit, don't hate.)

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    At what rate are you losing weight? I know it can feel like it's going to take forever, especially with a large amount to lose (I have about another 80-90lbs to lose myself), but you don't want to lose too much at once either.
  • peppypea
    peppypea Posts: 8 Member
    I'd like to be losing 2lbs a week. So far it seems about .5 lb/week.

I just hate that a friend of mine started 4 weeks after me and exercises less and just changed a meal for a shake and she says she's lost 13lbs in that time. It effing kills me. Can't wait for her to make it to stupid menopause, too. *pouts
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    peppypea wrote: »

I just hate that a friend of mine started 4 weeks after me and exercises less and just changed a meal for a shake and she says she's lost 13lbs in that time. It effing kills me. Can't wait for her to make it to stupid menopause, too. *pouts

to lose average 2 lbs a week, you need to have an average daily deficit of 1000 calories. you can do the math deduct what you burn from what you eat. You shouldn't compare your weight loss to someone elses. Slow and steady will get you to your goal, most of the people that drop a bunch fast in a few weeks are on some unsustainable crash diet and gain it all back and more when they go back to their old habits. Eat the calorie level that mfp suggests for you, and get in some exercise and do this forever and you will get to your goal.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    2 lbs a week is a bit fast. I am very obese and did it at the beginning but I started having really bad delayed onset muscle soreness from workouts. I also was chronically tired. It was a mistake even in the morbidly obese range to lose that fast IMHO. 1 to 1/2 lbs of weight loss is better for a lifestyle change.

Back on topic: Yes walking and calorie deficit will lead to weight loss. So will just a calorie deficit. The walking part just helps increase overall health at same time.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    edited June 2017
    Unless you are weighing your food on a scale it's very likely you are underestimating how much you are eating. Walking is great exercise, however the deficit in calories is what causes weight loss. Walking can increase that deficit by burning extra calories, but if your not accounting for the calories eaten accurately then you might still be eating too much for your goal of 2 pound per week.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Of course :) my only proper exercise is walking my dog every day and I'm losing my 1 kg (2 lb) a week as planned/desired.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,262 Member
    I get a minimum of 10k steps daily- working hard, not strolling. Weekdays I am averaging 16k.

I am keeping my calories at 1650 most of the time, though I let myself use my "extra" calories some times when I make at least 15k.

This is so slow going- am I ever going to really see definable results? I just wanna have a cute figure. (Healthier lifestyle is a side-benefit, don't hate.)

What are your height and weight? For women I usually estimate the last 25 lbs to come off at a half pound a week, pounds 26-60 to be a pound a week, and over that slightly faster at 1.5 lbs per week. Weight loss is a long term project. Fat loss is an even longer term process as it means you sacrifice some speed for better body composition. A "cute figure" is easier to achieve with the latter as it somewhat reduces the post-loss "still working on body composition" time, though that can still be a few years too.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,937 Member
    You don't lose weight by walking. You lose weight by burning more calories than you consume. If walking helps you do that great. But you can walk 10 miles per day and out eat your calorie burn. What you do for exercise and fitness is up to you.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    edited June 2017
    There are some numbers in scientific papers that also fit with the compendium of exercise. These numbers come down to:
    0.3 * weight in pounds * distance = your calorie expenditure when walking. (and 0.68 for running)
    Speed has fairly little influence in the whole unless you start to run and your feet actually are not on the ground anymore at the same time. Use this equation to find out how much you're walking. But don't add your normal walk to the loo or the kitchen to fetch a cup of tea as that's part of your normal daily energy expenditure. Only track the calories you're walking because you're walking for sport.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member

Guessing 2 lbs per week is too aggressive, as others have pointed out. On your friend, if they are doing the shake thing, it won't last. She may sprint ahead of you, but be in this for the long term and figure out how you want to eat for the long term, and do that with the right amount of calories.

• EmPersson
    EmPersson Posts: 768 Member
    Ditto to everything everyone here has said about the calorie deficit! But, I'd like to add that your friend who changed one meal to a shake may have lost a lot of water weight. Depending on your body, and your pre-lifestyle-change diet, you could lose 5+ pounds right off the bat just from water weight alone. When she stops doing those shakes and goes back to solid foods, she may gain back some natural water weight. Keep walking!
  • peppypea
    Good points.

Yes, I AM weighing my foods- I am very careful. (Though I do need to be more careful with milk, I love it and miss it.)

My stats:
    42 years old (Menopause, here we come. Whee.)
    193 lbs
    5'1"
    (no, I do not roll if I fall down, lol)

On my "friend": She's a special breed of awful. She is the queen of the backhanded-compliment ("Wow! I can really tell you have lost weight- you are looking less beach ball-y" for reals, she really said this to me.) So, yeah, I really shouldn't compare myself to her- one can only hope that the B bounces back with additional pounds when she gains it back *insert evil laugh here.*

As to my activity, I am usually walking twice a day and swimming once a day. I am determined to look less "beach ball-y" *le sigh. According to my MFP I usually "earn back" anywhere from 200-800 calories back- some days I use the extras, other days I do my best to ignore them, that's hard, because, donuts. *winky face*
  • peppypea
    Also, with my walking, I aim to keep my target heart rate in the 125 range/ give or take a bit. I would like to go faster, but my knees yell at me if I do.
  • thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    Your diet is much more important to weight loss than your exercise. Weigh your food, log everything. Stay under your calorie goal.

Exercising is good for your health, of course, but its only relevance to weight loss is burning some calories.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Also, with my walking, I aim to keep my target heart rate in the 125 range/ give or take a bit. I would like to go faster, but my knees yell at me if I do.

Check with your doctor if the knees feel out of line... If they're not damaged... Ice and compression will show benefits.

IF they are damaged, Ice and compression will give relief, but only rest will provide healing...
  • celiah909
    celiah909 Posts: 141 Member

As to my activity, I am usually walking twice a day and swimming once a day. I am determined to look less "beach ball-y" *le sigh. According to my MFP I usually "earn back" anywhere from 200-800 calories back- some days I use the extras, other days I do my best to ignore them, that's hard, because, donuts. *winky face*

What are you using to find out you are "getting 200-800 calories back"?

• peppypea
    edited June 2017
    celiah909 wrote: »

What are you using to find out you are "getting 200-800 calories back"?

I use a FitBit to track on MFP and with my activity I "earn" extra calories (like so far today with my walk I earned 138 calories)

I am on the fence about whether or not I should allow myself to use them, KWIM? Most days I don't, but some days, for the safety of others I do use them.