Rice and beans in the fridge.

Will rice and beans stay good in the fridge for 3 days.

Thanks

Replies

• kpeterson539
    kpeterson539 Posts: 220 Member
    I would say so. Mine has in the past.

If you're truly worried about it, maybe portion the rice and bean into individual sized containers to freeze. This way you can take out what you need and just let it thaw out.
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    Mine do, but four days is about the limit I think. By day three I find they're not as tasty. But always do a smell test first when it comes to leftover beans.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Mine do...I have a 72 hour cutoff for any leftovers.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    They will probably stay good for at least a week, maybe 2. 72 hours is a myth for most cooked food.
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    They will probably stay good for at least a week, maybe 2. 72 hours is a myth for most cooked food.

Really? For beans? Beans spoil fast.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    nevadavis1 wrote: »
    lorrpb wrote: »

Really? For beans? Beans spoil fast.

I have eaten beans that were up to a week old. I'm not saying other people should do this or anything, but I do it regularly and I don't notice a decline in quality.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    3 days, yes. 3 weeks, no.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Reading some of the things I have recently about food storage, I should be dead many times over from food poisoning. Still kicking
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    rybo wrote: »
    Reading some of the things I have recently about food storage, I should be dead many times over from food poisoning. Still kicking

me too
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Hell yes!
    BTW: My little old gray-haired mother joined the Peace Corps when she was 67. They posted her to Costa Rica. At the time, not that many people had refrigerators, so the Peace Corps had to teach all their volunteers had to deal with that in a country where people lived on beans and rice. They were taught that if you didn't add meat, you could leave it out on the counter for a week. Yes, out on the counter for a week. As long as you brought it to a boil before eating it, it would be fine. She survived the experience, and the three weeks I spent with her, I also survived.