Atkins Support Group

Replies

• cathy4590
    cathy4590 Posts: 10
    I am totally a Akins FAN!!! I am going to a Dr. who is telling me that it is a great diet for Diabetics ( which I am), and since I've started the program on June 9th,2011.....I have lost 16 pounds, my sugar has also balanced to PERFECT!!!! It's the best way of eating I have ever done...I also feel so much better too. Can't wait to see these post every day, hopelly I can learn more as I go and good luck to ALL...Hang in there and have faith!
  • cbelli
    cbelli Posts: 24
    I'm so glad to see this group here! My doctor put me on Atkins after a month of low calorie diet left me 1lb up, despite working out 6x a week and eating 1200 calories a day. My doc seems to think that my metabolism is so stinking low that I couldn't lose weight. We know my thyroid is screwy, so I've been on Synthroid for 2 months. Now it's just finding the right diet to lose weight for good. So today, I had an Atkins bar (which I had already been eating for breakfast b/c it's high in protein and low in sugar and not bad on calories) for breakfast, a taco sald (w/out the shell) for lunch, and I'll have chicken salad for supper. I would love to see recipes ya'll have and get support. Thanks!
  • hbmcracer
    hbmcracer Posts: 105 Member
    Anyways My husband and I just finished induction, it went by sooo fast! He lost 11lbs I lost around 8lbs and 23.5 inches.

We love it!!! I have had extreme energy issues for 4 years and BAD crashes after eating any carbs and he is type 2 diabetic .

How has your husband's BG levels been?
  • shagybear33
    shagybear33 Posts: 272
    I too try follow a low-carb type way of eating.

I'm so glad you started this thread :happy:
  • kittrelle
    kittrelle Posts: 67
    I am a new Atkins dieter- just completed induction last Thursday, but I'm extending it a couple of weeks because I have so much to lose. I lost 8 pounds on induction and feel great. I'm not mindlessly snacking like I used to do, and really, once I'm finished with an Atkins approved meal, food isn't even on my radar for 4-5 hours!! It's almost effortless. I'd love to check in with you all and see how everyone's doing.

I noticed a few of you were concerned about sodium. One of the things I've noticed here at MFP is that when I look at my daily intake, I'm very close or UNDER my calorie limit, and potassium and sodium are things I'm not even consuming half as much as I 'should ' be according to the guidelines here. That's why Atkins suggests drinking broth twice a day (I haven't yet) and I'm considering a potassium supplement....just something to think about.
  • I've been thinking about trying this again. Last time I only lasted a week. Nothing else seems to be working that great so maybe I'll give it another shot. Fingers Crossed!!!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    I noticed a few of you were concerned about sodium. One of the things I've noticed here at MFP is that when I look at my daily intake, I'm very close or UNDER my calorie limit, and potassium and sodium are things I'm not even consuming half as much as I 'should ' be according to the guidelines here. That's why Atkins suggests drinking broth twice a day (I haven't yet) and I'm considering a potassium supplement....just something to think about.

It really depends on the kinds of things that you're eating. I always found that I was usually under on sodium, as well. However, some will eat a lot of cheese, deli meats, hot dogs and other high sodium foods rather than tuna, chicken breasts and lean cuts of beef.
  • pork_belly
    pork_belly Posts: 144
    I'm following the Atkin's diet for eating while following the Fast-5 methodology for when I eat. Fast-5 is IF (intermittent fasting) where I eat only in a five hour window. the suggested window is 5PM to 10PM but you can slide it as needed. Doing this is suppose to simulate the induction period. I've lost 3 lbs in five days even though I was within 5 lbs of my goal weight when I stared. The last 5-10 lbs is supposed to be the toughest and it the past they have been. IF has made it possible for me to finally hit my goal. Actually, I'm a half a pound away but my official weigh in day is on Friday.

I've been on and off the Atkins diet for the last 5 years and have always fallen off the wagon because of my love of rice. I think that I'm over it now and feel as if I'm staying on it this time. I also have to let you know that I do allow myself one cheat day a week, after my weigh in, but many a times have not been taking it. When I do it I don't feel guilty about it and it hasn't negatively impacted my progress. Since I started in April I've lost 19.5 pounds.

The only exercise I have been doing is making sure I take walks at least five times a week and that they are at least forty minutes non-stop. Although sometimes due to time constraints I will split it into two twenty minute sessions. I also shoot for at least 10,000 steps a day. I do use a pedometer from the time I wake to the time I finally go to bed.

Thanks so much for making this thread. Dr. Atkins was on track with his ideas and its too bad that his detractors were blind to the data that's been around since the 1800s. If you get a chance read Gary Taube's Why We Get Fat and What To Do About It , also Good Calories, Bad Calories.
  • nawlinsned
    nawlinsned Posts: 15
    I've been on a low carb diet for 2 months now, and wouldn't trade it for anything. Lost a ton of weight and feel great. The only thing I'm concerned about is taking in too much protein and developing kidney stones or a gall bladder issue, but I'm also drinking a sugar free lemonade to decrease those chances (of the kidney stones, at least). I'm lucky that I don't seem to have any negative reactions to artificial sweeteners, although i do try to limit those. I use the atkins advantage and endulge bars to curb my sweet tooth, usually in lieu of a meal, and I also keep around some barbecue pork rinds that have about 1 gram of sugar per serving.

To cut down on time spent, I usually grill food twice a week. When you can eat pork tenderloin, grilled peppers and onions, portobella mushrooms with balsamic and olive oil, and asparagus... why go back to eating McDonalds? $15 gets me 4 delicious meals, which was about the same as 2 at a fast food place.

I've learned to stay away from most beef products... steak every once in a while, but ground meat is just that it's TOO packed with calories for my liking. I also made a nice pizza using Flatout wrap, some bruschetta spread (<2 carbs per serving), cheese and veggies or pepperoni. I brush a wrap with olive oil, coat that side with parmesan, then crush up the bruschetta stuff in the jar and drain it so it doesn't make the wrap soggy, then I put some on the wrap and then cheese and toppings. Relatively low in carbs, and it fixes my (now non-existent) cravings.

I'm sure I'll go back to a more moderate diet after a while... Thanksgiving has dirty rice, and I don't pass that up, but for now it's working great and I have no worries about sticking to it for as long as I need to.
  • glypta
    glypta Posts: 440 Member
    I'm not doing Atkins, but I'm doing low carb - Dukan - which is almost the same (high protein but low fat + non-fat dairy) and it's worked wonders. I mean wonders. My body hated to lose weight, despite calorie/point counting and LOTS of exercise - I did get the weight of but it was so HARD!!!

I've never had such effortless weight loss. No. That's not fair. I love carbs and not eating them is hard, but not eating them is way easier on my wee brain than having some and always wanting more and more, and never being full. This is strict but that suits me.

I'm now at goal and trying to reintegrate 'normal' foods, but it's kinda scary! So good luck everyone, and I'm keen to see your results!
  • Leanne1795
    Leanne1795 Posts: 186
    This recipe site may be of use to you all.
    http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    I've been thinking about trying this again. Last time I only lasted a week. Nothing else seems to be working that great so maybe I'll give it another shot. Fingers Crossed!!!

If you do decide, remember that the first week is the worst. You're ridding your body of the carbohydrate cravings, so you may feel pretty miserable and grumpy for that first week. But once that's done, it's very easy :) Good luck!
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member

I'm also trying to set up a website full of low carb recipes. If anyone has any recipe ideas, just let me know. It's at http://blog.pittsburgh-diet-guru.com
  • Alyx128
    Alyx128 Posts: 92 Member

Love this site! Thanks!
  • bron_89
    bron_89 Posts: 33
    Lately bad carbs were slowly taking over my life again after being so good this year and I HATE feeling like they control me... Just started the 'induction' period today- wasn't that tough because I have been low-carbing for most of the year (apart from my unsatisfying binges) (otherwise i try to stay under 100g per day)... the only problem is that I'm finding now that it's 20g limit for these 2 weeks that I may struggle to eat my 1200 calories. Today I had eggs and ham for breakfast, chicken breast and veggies for lunch and salmon and veggies for dinner and some cheese and I was only at just over 700 calories and completely full. I suppose I'm just so used to easily getting the other calories from fruit, yogurt and oats. Today my ratio was 11% carbs, 42% fat and 47% protein... I don't know if that is good or not? Hopefully this works and I lose the rest of my weight and am able to maintain!
  • SugarBaby1987
    SugarBaby1987 Posts: 62 Member
    I am an Atkins follower. :) Feel free to add me if you are looking for support. I stay around 30 carbs a day & that all comes from veggies & some dairy. I was diagnosed with Celiac disease right after my last baby was born, and living this lifestyle has greatly improved my health.
  • SugarBaby1987
    Lately bad carbs were slowly taking over my life again after being so good this year and I HATE feeling like they control me... Just started the 'induction' period today- wasn't that tough because I have been low-carbing for most of the year (apart from my unsatisfying binges) (otherwise i try to stay under 100g per day)... the only problem is that I'm finding now that it's 20g limit for these 2 weeks that I may struggle to eat my 1200 calories. Today I had eggs and ham for breakfast, chicken breast and veggies for lunch and salmon and veggies for dinner and some cheese and I was only at just over 700 calories and completely full. I suppose I'm just so used to easily getting the other calories from fruit, yogurt and oats. Today my ratio was 11% carbs, 42% fat and 47% protein... I don't know if that is good or not? Hopefully this works and I lose the rest of my weight and am able to maintain!

At the very beginning I struggled to get in all of my calories, but I started using extra virgin olive oil to cook my chicken, fish, etc in & they added healthy fats plus extra calories. Plus it makes my food more yummy. It's working for me so far, and the extra fat really keeps me from being hungry between meals.
  • SugarBaby1987
    OK guys I need some encouramet this is the third day in row with no weight loss...I don't know what the issue is I still lose inches why would that be. I thought if I was losing inches the weight would go with it too.... :(. I am on long term inducton so I haven't upped my carbs or my protien- any body else stalling or have stalled and had weight loss later? Also how does one "keep things moving" you know what I mean-its been days!

Everyone else had some great suggestions for you. The only things that I would add is to make sure you get plenty of water. If I don't get all of my water intake in for a day it will throw me for a loop. Also, have you tried eating avocado? I'm pretty sure that you can eat half of a small avocado on induction ( someone correct me if i'm wrong ), and that really helps to get things moving for me as well.
  • LaJauna
    LaJauna Posts: 336 Member
    I am a hard core 1972 version of Atkins follower. I am all in. Add me as a friend, anyone who loves Atkins!
  • LaJauna
    LaJauna Posts: 336 Member
    I'm on a low carb diet. I suppose it's a lot like Atkins, but I don't do the phases, per se. I keep my carbs around 30g per day. I've also found watching that I don't go extremely high with protein helps. I've read that any more than 40% of calories can be detrimental, as the body might process the excess protein as carbs. And too much fat, and the body will just burn that as fuel instead of what's in the fat cells.

So it's a tricky diet. I'm still creating a deficit, but I can't just abandon tracking my calories and other nutrients and still expect to lose. But I feel fantastic on this diet. A lot more energy. No more carb comas. It's not the diet for everyone, but it's the best diet for me.

The key has been for me not gaining the weight back. This is my 3 time trying it, and this time, it's forever. I just can't go back to eating a traditional diet. My body just doesn't DO carbs very well.

The typical Atkins diet falls into these percentages...70% fat/ 5% carbs/ 25% protein.