Anyone had any success with intermittent fasting?

Hey I'm looking to try intermittent fasting as it's supposed to speed up fat loss. Has anyone had success?
There's the 16/8 I want to try- you eat all your calories within an 8 hour window (for me probably be 11-7 or 12-8)

Replies

• gina333ann
    gina333ann Posts: 2 Member
    I have been doing IF for three weeks now. I do 20:4 and get all of my calories in at dinner between 4-8 p.m. I personally love it. I'm naturally never hungry in the morning or around lunch so it wasn't too difficult for me to commit to IF. If I do get hungry, it's usually around 2 p.m. while I'm at work and I'll have a snack. Usually my snack is almonds or pepperoni. Just something to hold me over. While I'm fasting, I'll have two cups of coffee and a gallon of water throughout the day. It has definitely sped up my weight loss. On the weekends, I don't usually stick to IF religiously because I still like to enjoy breakfast/lunch/dinner at home with my boyfriend. Do what works for you :)
  • TenderBlender667
    TenderBlender667 Posts: 78 Member
    I've been in maintenance for the past 2 years and I've been doing IF the whole time. I alternate between 20:4 and 18:6 most days of the week. I fast for 24 hours once a week. If I get hungry outside of my eating window, I drink lots of tea or water. I find I'm a lot less likely to eat mindlessly and snack on junk when I eat this way.
  • capndeja
    capndeja Posts: 2 Member
    Hi

Never posted before, but I've been doing fasting for 15 weeks now with my other half after reading a rather scientific book about it that I followed up with my own research. I started with just one meal a day, and built it up to longer water only fasts of 3 days or so (wasn't easy!). I've lost 4 stone (about 50lb?) And I honestly feel awesome! I also steadily cut out most carbs in that time without exactly trying. I'm by no means paleo but I don't seem to crave carbs at all now.

I'm at the point now where I don't need to "try", we're not as strict and challenging each other like in the beginning - desperately wishing that last day to be over to get to eating day! We just know when we need to eat and can trust our bodies that the hunger pangs are real so sometimes we might eat three days in a row and some days we'll look back and work out we haven't eaten for 4 days without trying! We have a rule that if you feel ill, you eat. Trust our bodies basically now that we've separated physical and psychological hunger.

I'm off caffeine, diet pop... In fact I literally only ever crave water. This is a gal that drank 2 litres of diet coke a day and couldn't imagine a meal without complex carbs in it 15 weeks ago!

The thing I was worried about was that it would all pile back on as soon as I started eating, but I've not found that personally, and I've reached no starvation mode point like I always did with calorie restriction, it just keeps dropping off.
    I'm a nurse and I've always been wary of this sort of thing, but I feel more energetic, more healthy and I get to enjoy the food I like in as much abundance as I want when I eat! I love food, so it's nice to have something to look forward to rather than trying to fit as much food as I can in to my calories!

Everyone is different, but it's worth a try and find the fasting regime that is good for you! I mix mine up now depending on how I feel and around social functions.
  • Rannoch3908
    Rannoch3908 Posts: 177 Member
    I love it. I am never hungry in AM anyway and i don't want food till about 2pm. I drink some water and I am full. I eat once I get home - usually low carb (meat and veggies) and am good for the night.

• dnoble18
    dnoble18 Posts: 6 Member
    I've been doing a 17:7 IF for about two months now. I eat from 11 to 6 pm, two meals and maybe a snack if I need it. I restrict myself to that window but I don't eat if I don't feel actually hungry. Some days my calories are shockingly low, but I feel fine so I don't worry about it.

In that time I've totally overhauled my lifestyle so I can't hang my results only on IF. But I believe that it has been a big part of the big picture. I've lost 15 pounds total, more fat than it appears because I've been working out hard so I know I've added muscle. I've taken my belt in two notches, so two inches off my waist is huge! But here is the best part. My cholesterol is down, blood pressure down, blood glucose is down. I have more energy, many fewer cravings, and better and more consistent moods. Everyone has to do what works for them, and what feels right. Some people do IF to lengths that I would never be able to pull off. But this works for me. I'm a fan.
  • dottiedj
    dottiedj Posts: 52 Member
    A million years ago when I was in college, I only ate one meal a day...supper around 5 PM. I wasn't trying to fast; it was just what fit my schedule. To this day, I don't need breakfast to get me started, and I only eat lunch when I am a) out with friends or b) bored and there is food available. My 'natural' window for eating has always been between 5 PM and 10 PM.

Between September 2015 and December 2016, I put on 25 pounds because I was eating lunch more often and not paying attention to what I was eating every evening for dinner and snacks. In January, I decided I needed to get rid of that extra weight, so I went back to logging on MFP and paying attention to my natural hunger patterns. They are still consistent with my past experience, and lately I have narrowed the window down to 6 PM to 9 PM. During that time, I eat about 800-1000 calories. On weekends, it relaxes because I usually have breakfast and/or lunch with friends and I don't limit my dinner intake.

I've lost almost half of that extra weight without depriving myself or feeling hungry. Just slow and steady progress so that next holiday season, it will all be gone.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    IF is great, I use it on the reg. But it doesn't speed up any sort of fat/weight loss. For me personally, it makes adhering to my CICO easier. You lose weight just the same NOT using IF.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited June 2017
    Hey I'm looking to try intermittent fasting as it's supposed to speed up fat loss. Has anyone had success?
    There's the 16/8 I want to try- you eat all your calories within an 8 hour window (for me probably be 11-7 or 12-8)

"Speed" isn't an intermittent fasting thing. Great advertising, but IF is just using an eating window or zig-zagging your calories for weight loss. It's all about finding a way to consistently maintain a deficit. All the other supposed benefits are largely untested.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/49-intermittent-fasting

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100058-5-2-fasting

Besides speed and "just fat" loss don't go together. When you increase your deficit, you increase weight loss. Large deficits (fast weight loss) makes it harder for your body to support existing lean muscle mass. So fast weight loss generally doesn't lower your body fat % by as much as you could have.
  • cng31183
    cng31183 Posts: 126 Member
    Doing a 16:8, with eating window around 11-7 or 12-8 depending on the work week (alternates between opening and closing shifts each week). On Saturday nights I do a 24hr water only starting at 7 pm and ending Sunday evening. I then break the fast with a salad. Kind of sets up the upcoming week; not to mention Friday night/Saturday tends to be more indulgent and I really don't want to eat come Sunday.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    I've used the "skip breakfast" method with good success. It really helped me hit my daily calorie goal more easily than without.

As for speed of fat loss, yeah it's faster, but only because it helps you meet your calorie goals I higher percentage of the time.
  • sedj241
    sedj241 Posts: 36 Member
    I've been doing IF for a little over year now, it's more of a lifestyle for me at this point. I started at 20% bf, I got down to 5% and now I'm at 7. I cycle between 16:8 and 20:4 (cheat days). This eating schedule gives me a lot of slack when it comes to eating foods that I use to enjoy eating everyday. Can't go wrong with IF.....that's my humble opinion!
  • leannehathaway1
    leannehathaway1 Posts: 72 Member
    Ive been doing IF for a couple months and have to say I love it. I find it easy to stay in or around my calorie goal and I don't have to think about meal prep. I haven't lost a ton of weight on it.. maybe 6 lbs and it's slow coming off but I only have 9lbs to my goal and figure it should be slow at this point anyway. Plus it seems pretty effortless. I eat what and when I want on weekends and enjoys some drinks too and will continue to do so as long as the scale is moving in the right direction regardless of speed.
  • Meghan509
    Meghan509 Posts: 1,950 Member
    Hello,
    I have been a 5:2 faster since the end of March and I have to say I absolutely love it. I am down 25 pounds or so and I have to say this has been one of the easiest plans I have ever tried. Believe me, I have tried them all. My guy is also doing 5:2 and he is down almost 40 pounds. He feels great too.
    We do two "Light Days" a week where we restrict our calories to 500 a day for me and 600 a week for him. For us, we skip breakfast since that is not a big deal and easy one for us. But there is no right or wrong way to do it. Everybody needs to do what works for them when it comes to 5:2 and getting in your calories on your Light Day. I drink lots of water and green tea, eat a lot of healthy fruits and veggies, proteins, etc. and we also exercise. Been hitting the gym six days a week doing cardio. On the weekends we make sure we "live" a little and eat some things we enjoy, alcohol, etc.
    Feeling pretty good! Highly recommend 5:2. :)
  • lovinghixon
    lovinghixon Posts: 4 Member
    I have done 5:2 and 4:3 with great success in the past. I was allowed 500 calories on my fast days and I was shocked at how easy it was to find something satisfying to eat for way less calories than that. On days that I wasn't fasting I still kept my calories in the low/normal range unless there was some special occasion.
  • Meghan509
    Meghan509 Posts: 1,950 Member
    I have done 5:2 and 4:3 with great success in the past. I was allowed 500 calories on my fast days and I was shocked at how easy it was to find something satisfying to eat for way less calories than that. On days that I wasn't fasting I still kept my calories in the low/normal range unless there was some special occasion.

I do the same as you. On non-fast days I keep my calories pretty low since I am trying to move this weight off. I make exceptions on the weekends but keep it strict Sunday through Thursday. So far it is working. :smiley:

Anyone who is reading and doing 5:2 or similiar, please feel free to come join us in the 5:2 group. :)
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100058-5-2-fasting
  • ItsSlimpossible12
    ItsSlimpossible12 Posts: 127 Member
    I have been in a "plateau" since April. Started 16:8 IF on Monday and lost 4 lbs as of my weigh in this morning. Not sure what it is, if it is temporary, a fluke, what, but I'll take it and I'm going to keep up with it for the foreseeable future!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!