Smoothies

Skyfallbw
Skyfallbw Posts: 12 Member
I always eat cereal and milk for breakfast. Lately I am tempted to make fruit smoothies to start my day. Do you make smoothies everyday or a few times a week, and do they keep you feeling full until lunch time?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    I like chewing my food, to me they are a calorie bomb and I hate cleaning the blender. A little fruit on my yogurt is the way to go!
  • EJBarner
    EJBarner Posts: 68 Member
    I make smoothies everyday, yes! They do indeed keep me full until lunch, but I think the trick is to pack more 'filling' content into them rather than relying on fruit and juice alone to keep you satisfied. Protein powder, greek yogurt, chia seeds, ground flax, hemp seeds, and oats are all things you can add to a smoothie to make it hearty. (I couldn't believe the difference in how full I felt after I first started adding protein powder in!)

I also keep them more affordable and convenient by using frozen fruit rather than fresh, because in my house having a lot of fruit in the fridge is a recipe for having a bunch of it go off!

For my partner and I in the morning, a typical smoothie looks like:

- 2 cups frozen fruit (usually a cup each of two different kinds)
    - a chunk of frozen spinnach
    - 1/2 cup of greek yogurt
    - 1 cup-ish of milk/OJ or a combination (enough to cover the fruit in the blender)
    - 1 tbsp oats
    - 1 tbsp chia seeds
    - 1 tbsp ground flax
    - half a scoop of protein powder

We usually let the fruit/spinnach/yogurt/liquid 'steep' while we're in the shower, with the last four ingredients mixed up with some water in a separate bowl so it can reconstitute and meld. Then blend it all together for a yummy, hearty, and feel-good breakfast!
  • buschick286
    buschick286 Posts: 6 Member
    edited June 2017
    I agree with you. Smoothies are easier and filling and great on the go breakfast. I freeze my bananas, I also like frozen berries. I add to it, a scoop of whey protein and about a cup of almond milk. I would need to begin measuring to see what it looks like on MFP but it is very satisfying to me. I sometimes add cocoa, cinnamon, raw honey and turmeric.
  • MsChucktowski
    MsChucktowski Posts: 121 Member
    I have a PB smoothie/milkshake for breakfast every morning. 20g PB2, 20g natural peanut butter, 250mL soy milk, 10mL maple syrup and a few ice cubes. It's tasty and keeps me full for hours.
  • tiffaninghs
    tiffaninghs Posts: 200 Member
    by the way I used smoothies for weight loss purposes and they worked. i now hate smoothies!! i will fight u if u offer me a smoothie
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    I also make a smoothie for breakfast probably on average 6x/week. 10 oz almond milk, 2 scoops Orgain protein powder, 1 cup frozen fruit. Use a Vitamix which cleans easy by running it w/ warm water and a drop of dishwashing soap. I am surprised but happy that it keeps me satisfied until lunchtime.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Skyfallbw wrote: »
    I always eat cereal and milk for breakfast. Lately I am tempted to make fruit smoothies to start my day. Do you make smoothies everyday or a few times a week, and do they keep you feeling full until lunch time?

I do often. I like to add some cream of wheat and chia to make it more filling, and it is my breakfast and morning snack. I sip on it all morning at work. Then a light lunch.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    If you like them, great. But they aren't magical for weight loss. I use them when I am working early mornings, because I'm not a morning person, and won't get up early enough to cook. It also helps increase my fruit and veg consumption.
  • LisaEatSleepRun
    LisaEatSleepRun Posts: 159 Member
    Smoothie fan here too. My go to breakfast is coconut milk, vanilla & chocolate protein powder, peanut butter, flax & hemp seeds...sweet, filling & delicious!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I like to make mine with cold coffee, frozen banana, and quest protein powder.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Skyfallbw wrote: »

Week days, I make a protein shake and drink it on the way to work. It's yummy, nutritious, and saves me time in the morning.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    I always have fruit as part of my breakfast, and I love smoothies, but I never have smoothies for breakfast. I like sweet food, but not that much sugar that early.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    It's still too early in the year, but when it gets really hot, a smoothie with protein in it is just the thing for my first meal for me.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2017
    I sometimes make them in the summer or if it's hot in the fall, as when it's hot I sometimes don't feel much like cooking or eating in the morning or just not in the mood for my usual eggs. (So far this summer my cravings have been more toward morning salads, though.)

I don't like breakfasts that are super high carb or mostly fruit based -- I prefer having meals that include around 30 g of protein and some fat, and I aim to have a good amount of vegetables in all meals, so for me a smoothie is mostly vegetable-based, will have a little fruit too, normally, and will have a source of protein and some fat (homemade cashew milk is a good source of fat, IME, I love it).

With those boxes ticked, I find my occasional smoothie filling, but I tend not to get that hungry between breakfast and lunch anyway.

I have had a smoothie in the evening on occasion also, also in the summer, usually when I run late in the day and am just not hungry for a regular dinner and want something sweetish rather than regular dinner food. That's rare.
  • dw920
    dw920 Posts: 41 Member
    I have been making smoothies for a few weeks now and they have helped cut out the drive thru trips on work mornings or during lunch time when I'm out with the kiddos. I usually do chocolate protein powder, ice, a frozen banana, chia seeds, 2% milk, and either natural peanut butter or more recently the PB2 powder. It's so yummy and perfect for hot summer mornings. I am going to start adding some oats to make it more filling, but it usually keeps me from getting hungry for a few hours.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    If you are going to make smoothies just be sure to weigh and track what goes in. I made smoothies while I was trying to gain and they came out to 800-1000cals.
  • Skyfallbw
    I have a few recipes that I will make but I am trying to lose weight. not to gain. Perhaps when I reach a plateau and the challenge becomes more difficult, a scale will come in as my guide. Good pointer, thanks.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Orange And Cream Delight
    1 Bottle of Orange Gatorade, 1 scoop Vanilla, Simple, yet tasty!

Orange Creamsicle
    1-2 scoops of vanilla powder, 6-8 ounces of water, 4-6 ice cubes, 1-2 peeled oranges, Mix in a blender on medium for 1 minute.
    Orange Vanilla Shake
    Mix 2 scoops of Vanilla, 8 oz Orange Juice, 4-5 ice cubes, 1 tsp Vanilla, ½ banana, 2-3 frozen strawberries, 2 packets of sweetener,

PB&J
    Mix one serving of vanilla according to directions. Then, add one heaping tbsp of all-natural peanut butter and four frozen strawberries. Blend at high speed for 45 seconds and serve

Peanut Brittle Protein Shake
    2 scoops vanilla, 1 tbsp sugar-free instant butterscotch pudding mix, dry 1 tbsp natural peanut butter, chunky, 8 oz. cold water or lowfat milk, 3-6 ice cubes This mimics peanut brittle only in taste. Add all ingredients to blender, blend, and serve. I like to add the peanut butter in last so it stays a little chunky, just like the peanut brittle it is replacing.

Peanut Butter And Banana Shake
    2 scoops Vanilla, 100g almond flakes, 1 tbsp peanut butter, 500ml skim milk, half banana, 1 tbsp honey

Peanut Butter Chocolate Truffle
    2 scoops chocolate powder, 1 tsp peanut butter, 16 ounces nonfat milk, ½ cup ice cubes

Peppermint Oatmeal Shake
    Mix 2 scoops of Milk Chocolate Protein, 1 cup sugar free vanilla ice cream, 1 cup oatmeal, 2 cups non-fat milk, ½ cup water, a splash of peppermint extract!

Piña Colada
    1 scoop vanilla powder, 1 ½ cups skim milk, ½ -1 cup frozen pineapple pieces, ½ tsp coconut extract

Pina Colada Passion
    12 oz. Water, 4 ice cubes, 3 scoops vanilla powder, 1/3 cup Pineapple chunks
    2 tsp Coconut extract

Pineapple Blast
    4 ice cubes, 12 oz. Water, 2 scoops vanilla powder, ½ cup pineapple chunks

Pineapple Power
    1 cup of pineapple juice, 3 strawberries, 1 banana, 1 tsp of yogurt, 1 scoop of your choice of protein

Plum Ice Shake
    Mix 2 scoops of Vanilla, 1 ripe plum, juice of 1 lemon, 16 oz of ice water, ½ cup ice cubes.

Protein Power Carnation Instant Breakfast
    1 cup milk, skim, 1 package Carnation Instant Breakfast, no added sugar, 1 scoop Any Whey Protein, 4 ice cubes , Put all ingredients into blender. Blend on high for 45 seconds.

Protein Power Crystal Light
    ½ cup Crystal Light, 1 scoop Any Whey Protein, 2 Tbsp Cool Whip Free, 4 ice cubes, Put all ingredients into blender. Blend on high for 45 seconds.

Protein Power Plus Carnation Instant Breakfast
    1 cup milk, skim, 1 package Carnation Instant Breakfast, no added sugar, 2 scoops Any Whey Protein, 4 ice cubes, Put all ingredients into blender. Blend on high for 45 seconds.

Protein Power Orange Frostie
    ½ cup orange juice, 100%, 1 scoop Any Whey Protein, 2 Tbsp Cool Whip Light, 4 ice cubes, Put all ingredients into blender. Blend on high for 45 seconds.

Protein Power Pineapple Smoothie
    2/3 cup pineapple juice, 100%, ½ cup cottage cheese, fat free, 1 scoop Any Whey Protein
    Put all ingredients into blender. Blend on high for 45 seconds. Strain through a fine mesh strainer.

Protein Power Strawberry Carnation Instant Breakfast
    1 cup milk, skim, 1 package Carnation Instant Breakfast, no added sugar, 1 scoop Any Whey Protein, ½ cup strawberries, frozen, no added sugar, Put all ingredients into blender. Blend on high for 45 seconds.

Protein Powered Vegetable Juice
    1 cup tomato or V-8 juice, 1 scoop Any Whey Protein, Blend or use a shaker cup to mix well. Pour over ice or blend with ice.

Protein Shake
    1 cup skim milk, 2 tsp safflower oil, Several pieces of ice, 1 banana, 1 package of Carnation Instant Breakfast, (any flavor--strawberry, chocolate, cappacino, French vanilla, chocolate malt), Mix together in blender until ice is completely crushed and mixed well.

Protein Tower of Power
    Mix two servings of vanilla, chocolate or strawberry according to directions, and three ice cubes. Blend at high speed for 45 seconds and serve.

Pumpkin Spice Latte
    1 scoop Vanilla powder, 1 tbsp Canned Pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling), ¼ tsp Apple Pie Spice (cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice), ½ cup Skim Milk, 2 tsp Splenda or Equal (add more or less to adjust sweetness), ½ cup Water, 1 tsp Instant Coffee (regular or decaf), Hea****er in microwave (below 130 degrees) then, mix in instant coffee Add: -Coffee (as prepared above), milk, canned pumpkin, Vanilla powder, apple pie spice and sweetener in blender -Blend until combined (about 30 seconds) -Heat in microwave
    until warm or serve over ice Fun Extras: -Serve with a cinnamon stick -Top with 1 tablespoon of cool-whip (sugar free or regular) and sprinkle with Apple Pie Spice

Quick Start
    3 oranges (fresh juiced only, NOT canned or bottled, 6 drops liquid stevia (optional)
    1 oz protein of choice

Raspberry Chocolate Thick
    1-2 scoops of chocolate powder, 6-8 ounces of whole (or 2%) milk, 6 ice cubes
    8 raspberries, Mix in a blender on medium for 1 minute. Pour into a tall glass. Drink or eat with a spoon!

Raspberry Rhubarb Magic
    1 scoop vanilla powder, 1 ½ cups skim milk, ¼-½ cup frozen chopped rhubarb, ¼-½ cup frozen raspberries

Rise and Shine
    ½ cup orange juice, 100%, ¼ cup yogurt, vanilla, fat free, no added sugar, ¼ banana, ripe
    3 peach slices, frozen, no added sugar, 2 scoops Any Whey Protein, Put all ingredients into blender. Blend on high for 45 seconds. Strain through a fine metal mesh strainer.

Rock N' Roll Protein Shake
    1 cup water, 1 big scoop vanilla powder, ¾ cup natural yogurt, 1 banana, 1 tsp of flax-seed oil, 2 tsp of honey,

Root Beer Float
    1 can Diet A&W Root Beer, 1-2 tbsp Heavy Cream, 4 ice cubes, 1-3 scoops vanilla powder

Root Beer Float
    Mix one cup of diet root beer, that has gone flat with one scoop vanilla powder, and it tastes like a root beer float!

Simply Peachy-Keen
    1-2 scoops vanilla powder, 1 ½ cups water or skim milk, ¼-½ cup of, frozen peaches, Add ice for extra thickness

Strawberry-Banana Frost
    Mix one serving of strawberry according to directions. Then, add 1 ripe banana and 3 ice cubes. Blend at high speed for 45 seconds and serve.

Strawberry Berry Berry
    1 scoop Strawberry powder, 4 strawberries (frozen or fresh), ¼ cup blueberries, 1 cup cranberry juice, 1 cup ice or crushed ice, Put all ingredients into blender and mix to desired consistency., Serve cold.

Strawberry Cheesecake
    Mix one serving of vanilla according to directions. Then, add three tbsp of Jell-O's no-bake, reduced-fat cheesecake mix, three low-fat vanilla wafers, and four frozen strawberries. Blend at high speed for 45 seconds and serve.

Strawberry Chocolate Milk
    2 Scoops Strawberry powder, 1 Scoop Carnation Fat Free Hot Cocoa, 14 oz water
    Mix in blender with ice for a "shake" or shake in shaker for a more, milky consistency

Strawberry Delight
    1 scoop vanilla powder, 1 ½ cups skim milk, ¼-½ cup frozen strawberries, ¼ cup frozen mango slices

Strawberry Nut Shake
    Mix 2 Scoops Vanilla, 1 cup fat-free strawberry yogurt, 6 shredded macadamia nuts.

Strawberry for Protein Dummies
    10 frozen strawberries, ½ small banana, 1 scoop powder, 8 oz Water, 1/3 cup Carnation Nonfat Dry Milk, Splenda to taste

Strawberry Savior
    4 scoops vanilla powder, 8 oz water, 1 strawberry yogurt, 3 frozen strawberries
    1 tsp flax seed oil,

Super Slimmer
    8 oz water, 1 tbsp flax seed oil, ½ ripe peach (peeled), 6 frozen strawberries
    1 heaping scoop protein, Stevia to taste (optional)

Super Vanilla Shake
    ½ cup milk, skim, ¼ cup yogurt, plain, fat free, 1 scoop Vanilla powder, 1 scoop Any Whey Protein, 4 ice cubes, Put all ingredients into blender. Blend on high for 45 seconds.

Tangerine Cream
    12 oz. Tangerine Diet Rite, 4 Ice Cubes, 1-2 tbsp heavy cream, 1-3 scoops vanilla powder

The Best Protein Shake Ever
    2 scoops chocolate, 10 Ice Cubes, 12 oz fat free milk, 2 tbsp fat free vanilla yogurt
    1 tbsp reduced fat peanut butter, 2 tbsp hazelnut coffee, 1/8 cup caramel ice cream topping, You can add more or less caramel topping, depending on how sweet you want your shake.

The Best Overall Tasting Homemade Protein Shake
    16 oz skim milk, 2 cups no-fat cottage cheese, 3 scoops vanilla, ½ cup non-fat, reduced-sugar vanilla yogurt scoop of your favorite fruit, Splenda or Sweet-n-Low to taste (about 2 packets), Handful of Ice, Blend together and chill.

The Hulk
    2 scoops vanilla, ½ tbsp sugar-free pistachio pudding mix, 1 mint leaf or a few drops peppermint extract (optional), 1 few drops green food coloring (optional), 8 oz cold water or low-fat milk , 3-5 ice cubes, Add all ingredients to blender, blend, and pour into cup. This tastes great without the mint so don't worry if you don't have it around. The shake is a light green even without the food coloring but if you want it green (like The Hulk!), you'll need a few drops.

Tropical Fruit Freeze
    Mix one serving of strawberry according to directions. Then, add ¼ cup frozen, unsweetened peaches, ¼ cup pineapple, and 3 ice cubes. Blend at high speed for 45 seconds and serve.

Thick Banana Protein Shake
    1 cup skim milk, 2 tsp. safflower oil, Several pieces of ice, 1 banana, 1 package of Carnation Instant Breakfast, (any flavor–strawberry, chocolate, cappuccino, French vanilla, chocolate malt), Mix together in blender until ice is completely crushed and mixed well.

Tropical Pleasure
    8 oz water, ½ tsp pineapple extract, ½ tsp coconut extract, 1 tbsp heavy cream
    ½ frozen banana, 1 heaping scoop (1 oz) of Egg Protein, Stevia or Agave to taste (optional), 2-3 ice cubes (optional)

Tropical Treat
    8 oz water, ½ banana (frozen), 2 tbsp low fat sour cream, 1 tsp coconut extract
    10-15 drops liquid stevia (optional), 1.5 oz. protein of choice (vanilla flavor)

Two Berry Delight
    1 cup frozen or fresh strawberries, ½ cup raspberries, ½ cup water, 1 cup ice, 1 packet of sweetener, ½ cup milk, 1 cup orange juice vitamins or protein powder, Put all ingredients except ice in blender and blend until smooth. Add ice and blend to give it a frozen smoothie consistency

Vanilla Banana Creamy
    1-2 scoops of vanilla powder, 6-8 oz of water or whole (or 2%) milk, 6 ice cubes, 1 banana, Mix in a blender on medium for 1 minute. Pour into a tall glass.

Vanilla Coffee Delight
    10-12 oz. low-fat milk, 2 scoops vanilla protein powder, ½ cup low-fat coffee flavored ice cream, Add all ingredients in blender. Blend and enjoy.

Vanilla Nut
    1 scoop vanilla powder, 1 ½ cups skim milk, ¼ cup raw organic oatmeal, 1 tbsp raw cashew butter, ½ tsp cinnamon

Vanilla Shake
    ½ cup milk, skim, ¼ cup yogurt, plain, fat free, 1 scoop Vanilla powder, 4 ice cubes
    Put all ingredients into blender. Blend on high for 45 seconds.

Vanilla Yogurt Smoothie
    1 cup plain, fat free yogurt, 1 scoop Vanilla powder, ¼ cup milk, skim, Place all ingredients in blender. Blend until smooth.

Whey Egg Nog
    Mix one serving of vanilla according to directions. Then, add ½ tsp ground allspice, 1 graham cracker (4 small squares) and 3 ice cubes. Blend at high speed for 45 seconds and serve.

Wild Berry Boost
    2 scoops vanilla, 8 raspberries, 4 strawberries, 15 blueberries, 16 ounces nonfat milk, ½ cup ice cubes

Yogurt Smoothie
    Blend 1-2 scoops of Any Whey Protein into your favorite no added sugar smooth yogurt flavor and ½ cup milk.

Lately, I just mix water (or cashew milk or a mixture of calcium and Vitamin D fortified orange juice and cashew milk) with the following:

MY MASTER SMOOTHIE LIST

SCOOP OF Protein powder and scoop of green wheat grass powder

Also

one tsp each of: Chia seeds, Sesame seeds, Goji powder, Acai powder, Cinnamon , Cacao nibs, Hemp , and maca.

Add half a tsp of each:powdered calcium and vitamin D, Flax

In addition, I add all the fruits and veggies now - a tsp each of Beet, carrot,
    pomegranate powder & tart cherry

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

If you like gingerbread, Oxygen magazine has a recipe for a delicious Gingerbread cookie shake: 1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder, 1/2 scoop chocolate protein powder, 1/2 cup vanilla enriched Rice Dream, 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt, 1/2 tsp ginger, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1 T molasses, and ice cubes. Blend and drink ! Mmmmmm

I also like a Creamsicle, which is a cup of orange juice (I get the Healthy kids kind with extra calcium and vitamins), half a scoop of vanilla protein powder (I’ve been getting spirulina), and a lowfat or Greek vanilla (or plain or coffee) yogurt. Blend and drink.

The Key Lime Protein Shake is blended with the juice of a lime, 2 tsp lime zest, 1 scoop of vanilla whey protein powder, 1 T coconut, a cup of milk, and 1-2 packets of Stevia (optional).

The Chocolate Maple Shake is made by blending a cup of milk, 3 T protein powder, 1 T cocoa powder, and 1 tsp maple syrup

Last but not least, for a change, I blend a cup of orange juice (I get the Healthy kids kind with extra calcium and vitamins), half a scoop of chocolate protein powder (I’ve been getting spirulina), and a lowfat coffee yogurt. Also good!

• Skyfallbw
    OMG those sound so amazing. Thank you for so many and I will be making a lot of smoothies now. How can I keep this post handy because I do not have a printer to print them all. Don't want to lose these recipes.