Wanting to be 120 pounds

1Wildthang
1Wildthang Posts: 2,660 Member
Hopefully before snow flies!

Replies

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Hopefully before snow flies!

When you say snow flies, do you mean after it falls to the ground and it flies back up? Or do you mean insects that are attracted to snow?
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Don't mean to cause an argument, buy why 120 specifically? How about 'to be at a healthy weight'?
  • SoulRadiation
    SoulRadiation Posts: 1,060 Member
    Good luck! You've got a while to work on your diet and exercise stuff...it took me a while to get into tracking calories but it definitely helps. I don't know what kind of exercise you enjoy but walking can definitely work. You can build yourself up to doing a couple of hours a day and because it's low impact you can get to where you do it every day and it can burn up some calories. One of the things I like about the walking approach is that you don't have to starve yourself (and it's easy, you do need to get some decent shoes though)...you do sacrifice a lot of time, but you can do it and still eat reasonably and feel pretty full.
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    I just want to make it through a week feeling like i've been successful in my efforts! But I hear ya.

I want this too. Except I haven't made many efforts lately. :(
  • SoulRadiation
    J_Surita3 wrote: »

What is holding you back? Time/energy? Opportunity/place to exercise?

Maybe if you can identify your barriers you can strategize how to defeat them.

Energy was a big one for me at first...cleaning up the diet a bit and getting a couple of weeks of solid sleep really helped me out of the gate.

Now I'm just trying to keep it up...

• Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member

What is holding you back? Time/energy? Opportunity/place to exercise?

Maybe if you can identify your barriers you can strategize how to defeat them.

Energy was a big one for me at first...cleaning up the diet a bit and getting a couple of weeks of solid sleep really helped me out of the gate.

Now I'm just trying to keep it up...

This is key, isn't it? I can't figure out whats up with me. I know how to do this, I've lost almost 45 pounds, and I still have a bunch to go, but I can't seem to make it through a whole week anymore. Can't seem to find the motivation to workout and then I indulge in the stress snacks....then I say *kitten* it, whats the point and drink some wine and think, I'll start tomorrow. Tomorrow keeps repeating.

For me it's definitely the alcohol. I know exactly how to lose weight to. I just have to do it. And stop drinking wine every night. UGH...
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    there is no one weight number though. everyone has a weight range since weight fluctuated hour to hour,day to day.
  • SoulRadiation

This is key, isn't it? I can't figure out whats up with me. I know how to do this, I've lost almost 45 pounds, and I still have a bunch to go, but I can't seem to make it through a whole week anymore. Can't seem to find the motivation to workout and then I indulge in the stress snacks....then I say *kitten* it, whats the point and drink some wine and think, I'll start tomorrow. Tomorrow keeps repeating.

Great job on the 45 pounds! That's awesome. Stress is a killer for me...I could easily tear through a loaf of bread or a 6 pack of beer, popcorn, pizza, etc...I haven't mastered it, but I try not to keep that stuff in my house too much just because I know eventually I'll crack and it'll just be there, waiting in the lurch for my dark moment lol. I've lost 40 lbs, and so far it basically took all of my energy...I'm trying to keep it up, but I can tell it's fading a bit. I joined a sports club which should help keep me going, as there's a social aspect of that where people expect you to show up for training and stuff. In the long run, I hope that carries me over the finish line.

You seem like a very busy person, and with some goals that are time-sensitive. I personally think it's fine to let the fitness slide just a bit if you need to get over that stress in order to meet an important deadline/work/study goal...things like that. That stuff comes to an end one day, and you really want it to work. Yeah, ideally you want it all to work at the same time but personally I've only been good at focusing on one or two things at once in my life. Everything else slides just a bit...even important stuff.

I'm not trying to encourage you to go plow through a loaf of bread, but if you need a stress snack to get through a higher priority goal then it's totally understandable.
    For me it's definitely the alcohol. I know exactly how to lose weight to. I just have to do it. And stop drinking wine every night. UGH...

I cut back a LOT at the beginning of the year and I did notice a big difference in my energy levels. I'm certainly no puritan myself, but I was reading an article by Dave Tate who is a powerlifter/bodybuilder/equipment salesman and he said something simple which resonated, which was to the effect of, "Think about how much you're drinking, and cut it in half".

I personally don't deal well with telling myself that I just can't have a certain food or stuff like beer and popcorn...I just look at it as something to manage as I'm trying to lose weight.

Looking at my diet at the beginning of the year...that was obviously a place to make some cuts.

What about wine every other night? You could maybe go walk around your neighborhood during the 45 min to an hour or whatever when you would have been enjoying the wine...just an idea.

I'm not trying to preach or anything...I'm in bad shape. I like talking about this stuff as thinking it over is part of my process to stay focused myself.

• HealthyGoalie1
    HealthyGoalie1 Posts: 74 Member
    Aim being at a healthy weight / body fat range, when drinking water, eating.. weighing more during the day.. due the weight of the foods eaten,.. When the precious body digested the food, food remnants leave the body, going to the little room.. excessive water leaves the body if drinked more than needed..weighing less again.. weight is in constant fluctuation.
  • MrStabbems
    MrStabbems Posts: 3,110 Member

Great job on the 45 pounds! That's awesome. Stress is a killer for me...I could easily tear through a loaf of bread or a 6 pack of beer, popcorn, pizza, etc...I haven't mastered it, but I try not to keep that stuff in my house too much just because I know eventually I'll crack and it'll just be there, waiting in the lurch for my dark moment lol. I've lost 40 lbs, and so far it basically took all of my energy...I'm trying to keep it up, but I can tell it's fading a bit. I joined a sports club which should help keep me going, as there's a social aspect of that where people expect you to show up for training and stuff. In the long run, I hope that carries me over the finish line.

You seem like a very busy person, and with some goals that are time-sensitive. I personally think it's fine to let the fitness slide just a bit if you need to get over that stress in order to meet an important deadline/work/study goal...things like that. That stuff comes to an end one day, and you really want it to work. Yeah, ideally you want it all to work at the same time but personally I've only been good at focusing on one or two things at once in my life. Everything else slides just a bit...even important stuff.

I'm not trying to encourage you to go plow through a loaf of bread, but if you need a stress snack to get through a higher priority goal then it's totally understandable.

I cut back a LOT at the beginning of the year and I did notice a big difference in my energy levels. I'm certainly no puritan myself, but I was reading an article by Dave Tate who is a powerlifter/bodybuilder/equipment salesman and he said something simple which resonated, which was to the effect of, "Think about how much you're drinking, and cut it in half".

I personally don't deal well with telling myself that I just can't have a certain food or stuff like beer and popcorn...I just look at it as something to manage as I'm trying to lose weight.

Looking at my diet at the beginning of the year...that was obviously a place to make some cuts.

What about wine every other night? You could maybe go walk around your neighborhood during the 45 min to an hour or whatever when you would have been enjoying the wine...just an idea.

I'm not trying to preach or anything...I'm in bad shape. I like talking about this stuff as thinking it over is part of my process to stay focused myself.

good point of view. And yes, I have a lot on my plate right now. My life plate....not so much my dinner plate. I am figuring that just maintaining is a good thing for now. But I need to watch so I don't gain!

Go in cycles L. lose, maintain and recuperate, lose again and repeat. I found when I lose a bit of weight I tend to have more energy.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    That would have been a reasonable goal when I lived in Vegas. I would have had a good 30 years to work on it.
  • gperez8127
    gperez8127 Posts: 23 Member
    120 sounds little to thin I'm 5 feet also and my goal is 135 I've been at it for 4 years and it's very hard to lose that last 5 pounds. Hope you reach your goal best of luck
  • smileyducky
    smileyducky Posts: 31 Member
    becky10rp wrote: »
    Don't mean to cause an argument, buy why 120 specifically? How about 'to be at a healthy weight'?

To be fair the healthy weight BMI is a huge spectrum. At my height 5'6 a healthy weight can be anywhere from 118lbs-154lbs. Obviously at 118 I'm going to look VERY thin and at 154 I still had quite a bit of body fat on me. Not sure what OP's height and frame is like but 120 could be very reasonable for her

• FireTurtle75
    FireTurtle75 Posts: 2,014 Member
    I just want to make it through a week feeling like i've been successful in my efforts! But I hear ya.

I'd like to make it through a week with out crying over emotional *kitten*.

And I'd also like to lose 120 lbs. LOL