Staying motivated after 18 months...

Hi, I've been on MFP for around 18 months and have managed to lose 2st 6lb over that time but weight loss has now slowed substantially because I'm just really struggling to keep the motivation going.

I've tried different things, diet shakes, pole fitness which I was absolutely crap at, i bought a fitness hoop but I get bored quickly. The only thing I've stuck at is Zumba, i love Zumba. Walking too, i walk a lot.

Daily logging and scanning foods is becoming a ball ache. I'm tired of it and just want to EAT THE FOOD! but I know its a necessity if I want to get to target weight. For those of you who have been on here a while how do you keep the enthusiasm flowing?! If you start feeling like its getting too much do you have a break or keep at it?

Replies

• Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,218 Member
    I've been doing it for 18 months as well and lost the same amount.
    When I start losing motivation I go to the success forum here. Did that yesterday, saw some amazing before and afters and got reassured.
    Another thing that keeps me motivated is when I can't fit in my old size for clothes in the shop's fitting room.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Have you taken any diet breaks in that time? Maybe a couple weeks of eating at maintenance will be enough to get your motivation back.
  • lainy1979
    lainy1979 Posts: 173 Member
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Have you taken any diet breaks in that time? Maybe a couple weeks of eating at maintenance will be enough to get your motivation back.

I allowed myself a few days off over Christmas where I didn't count calories at all and I managed to gain 3lb! I would guess that I was way over maintenance but must admit that it did me well emotionally to stop with the logging and just enjoy what I was eating.

I don't have much control unless I'm keeping track. I do a lot of mindless eating and my portion sizes tend to be on the large side.
  • lainy1979
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    When I start losing motivation I go to the success forum here. Did that yesterday, saw some amazing before and afters and got reassured.
    Another thing that keeps me motivated is when I can't fit in my old size for clothes in the shop's fitting room.

Do you sometimes feel like you should have lost more? I've taken to the success forum but looking at the before and after pics can make me feel like I'm not doing enough myself and that my changes should be more noticeable/drastic. I'm not knocking 2st 6lb cos I know I've done well to shift that much & keep it off! I wish I'd taken more progress pics myself.
  • Seffell
    lainy1979 wrote: »
    gebeziseva wrote: »

Do you sometimes feel like you should have lost more? I've taken to the success forum but looking at the before and after pics can make me feel like I'm not doing enough myself and that my changes should be more noticeable/drastic. I'm not knocking 2st 6lb cos I know I've done well to shift that much & keep it off! I wish I'd taken more progress pics myself.

I actually made a maintanance break for 6 weeks during last summer. And like you during the Christmas break gained 3-4lbs. Also I was barely overweight when I started (166lbs and 5'7). So I think I've lost fine overall.
    My problem is that my bf% is very high due to severe deconditioning for many years of almost bedrest. So I'm far from done. I've given myself until 2020 to look like I want to look.

But I understand your problem. Try to just regard scanning and weighing as toothbrushing. I, like you, can't eat properly if I don't count. So just think of it as a necessary chore.

And yes, totally take more progress pics. I've taken a pic every half stone and there is a big difference!
  • lainy1979
    @gebeziseva I'm also 5'7 but I was around a stone heavier than you when I started. My weight gain was purely through gluttony, i had a particularly stressful 18-24 months and found myself eating for comfort.

I've tried not to set myself a target date for reaching my goal weight. I've taken the slow & steady route by choice, i refuse to cut certain foods from my diet to lose weight because on reintroduction I'd put the weight back on. I love my carbs unfortunately.

The emotions are always there with this dieting/fitness malarkey, its a minefield!
  • Seffell
    I saw an amazing before after pic yesterday.
    @sarahlifts do you mind posting your pic here?
    I hope she does. If not search the forums for her and it might pop. She's 5'7 and started your weight. Took her 4 years to get to where she is. Exactly the pic I needed to see! I hope it helps you too.
  • smileyducky
    smileyducky Posts: 31 Member
    edited July 2017
    Ugh same boat, lost weight and stayed dedicated for a year and plateaued since January, I keep losing then gaining the same 5lbs because I do still have more weight to lose but it's mainly vanity pounds. I had been feeling pretty burned out but I had some summer vacations to look good for so I kept trying to force myself to stay dedicated but it only seemed to last a few days followed by maintenance/binge weekends.

My vacations are over and I spent all of June taking a break not counting calories and just eating all the food but I only gained back five pounds and now I'm feeling much more motivated. I would just recommend taking a break if you're feeling diet fatigue, it doesn't take long to get it out of your system
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    I keep the enthusiasm flowing through the joy of eating. In order to have that, I had to lose my fear of food. I love to cook, I love to eat, I love to plan meals, I even love grocery shopping and doing the dishes (yes, I have a dishwasher, lol).

I don't know if you have a very low goal weight, but I lost 50 pounds and hit a BMI of around 21-22, in a bit over a year, virtually effortlessly.

I stopped trying to exercise, but I walk a lot more, and crazy dance, and play, and just do things to use my body more.

I logged for pretty much almost exactly 18 months, until it started to get tedious. But I stopped because I also felt like I didn't need it. I kept meal planning/logging, loosely, in a spreadsheet. I still weigh certain foods, and weigh myself daily. I have a goal range of around 6.5 pounds, that I have stayed within for 2 1/2 years now.

I think you might benefit from reframing. You use words like gluttony and eating for comfort. We all eat because it's pleasureable. In fact, to be able to keep at it, it has to be pleasureable.

Carbs is just one of the macronutrients and make up parts of many nutritious foods. Don't be sorry for liking food. We need to eat. We just have to not consistently overeat. Mindless eating often leads to overeating. If you pay more attention when you eat, you will get more satisfaction from what you eat, and satisfied with less. Logging is a method of creating awareness of food intake. It works for everybody if they make it work. But it doesn't necessarily suit everybody. Maybe another approach is better for you. I have a long list of books that have helped me, if you are interested.
  • lainy1979
    I feel like i need to log to be in control but yes it has become very tedious. Not just for me but for the people close to me who watch me scan boxes/packets & look for foods on the mfp database. Only a handful of people know I use mfp for tracking daily and they are supportive but I guess they see me getting fed up with it & feel fed up for me. I have a week's holiday towards the end of August. Perhaps that will be my opportunity to relax & eat at maintenance and refocus afterwards.

I love food. I take great pleasure in eating and I've purposely not cut certain things from my diet to prevent me from going on a mad binge but its having to eat in moderation that's starting to get on my wick to put it politely! I knew I'd be in it for the longhaul I think I've just hit a bit of a mental wall with it all.

Thank you all for your replies x