1200 calories per day but not losing weight

katf92x
katf92x Posts: 10 Member
edited July 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi, i'm pretty new to this only been on here for 2 weeks but i can see it becoming quite highly addictive. I aim to lose 1 stone 3 pounds. I have reduced my calorie intake to 1200 a day and i exercise 4 times a week intense cardio for approximately 30 minutes. I noticed in my 1st week i lost 3 pounds, bit less than i was hoping but none the less i haven't got a drastic amount to lose so gave my self a little pack on the back for my effort. 2nd week i am on currently on my period however i haven't lost any weight at all!! i'm gutted as i've tried harder this week than last; counted my macros, given it 100% effort every time i go to the gym, strict with my calories and eating all the right healthy foods. Can someone give me some advise, i've read threads; could be physical health, exercise regime, not eating enough, none apply to me. The calories i'm eating is well enough for my activity level and BMI. Is this something to do with my menstrual cycle?? Have i hit a plateau in only my 2nd week???

Replies

• katf92x
    thankyou, very insightful.
  • smileyducky
    smileyducky Posts: 31 Member
    I tend to gain weight before my period, and many others gain during. It's only something that you notice once you start trying to lose weight lol! If you're still stalling after your period I would double check to make sure you're accurately counting your cals. If you don't have one already I would recommend a digital food scale, mine was the best $20 I've ever spent and really helped me succeed
  • katf92x
    Great idea about food scale thankyou
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    No, no... you've lost. I had my first real period in awhile all this week after getting an IUD in January (which meant no real periods until now).

I bloated up fast and quite visibly and had all of my formerly severe side effects of my period and when I weighed myself on Monday, it appeared I'd gained 5 lbs (of course I didn't, it was bloat). The bloat remained all week until Friday and when I weighed again, I'd lost all 5 lbs of the water-weight + a real loss of 1.8 lbs.

So I wouldn't worry nor even bother yourself with weighing until all of your period symptoms subside. Then try weighing again. Just keep on your diet and wait out the storm.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    With only 17 pounds to lose your weekly weight loss goal target should be a half pound per week. So eat more and adjust your expectations :)

Under eating causes stress, which can make you retain water, which will mask fat loss on the scale.
  • Muana1005
    Muana1005 Posts: 172 Member
    I'm approaching period and weight loss has reduced due to bloating. Just keep on restricting & you'll see a big whoosh after your period.
  • valerataust
    valerataust Posts: 1 Member
    Period increases oestrogen. So increase fat retention i would think. Maybe other way around. Good job with 4x cardio. Yeah undereating and stress. Try earing more brocolli and carrots. I am a student so we should come up with a new handshake. I'm from ireland.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Period increases oestrogen. So increase fat retention i would think. Maybe other way around. Good job with 4x cardio. Yeah undereating and stress. Try earing more brocolli and carrots. I am a student so we should come up with a new handshake. I'm from ireland.

No, estrogen doesn't increase fat retention. You gain water weight around your period because of hormones, not fat.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Since I see other threads on the horizon, your body will also retain water after exercise (to help with muscle repair), and after a meal/day with an unusual amount of sodium and/or carbs. Especially if you have a fairly small amount of weight to lose, resign yourself to the fact that there are multiple factors that may mask your weight loss on the scale and only look at the overall trend, not the day-to-day numbers.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Watch what you are drinking if you haven't yet. Alcohol is terrible for a diet, and even diet sodas even though are zero calorie has sodium and other things that will get in the way of your goal. Water is the key to wieght loss so drink plenty a day.

No it's not, we lose fat by eating less calories than we burn.

Diet soda does not stop you losing weight.
  • haroldrios1692
    haroldrios1692 Posts: 90 Member
    Is a stone equal to a pound in US terms
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    Is a stone equal to a pound in US terms

No I'm pretty sure a stone is 14 lbs.
  • beamin41
    beamin41 Posts: 38 Member
    Get some sleep.