Anyone else struggling with the last 10-15lbs?

I think the most frustrating part for me is after losing 40lbs I know what to do, I'm just having a hard time buckling down and doing it!

I think the main reason is that I started losing weight in the first place was to look better, and at 5'6 150lbs BMI of 24 I'm finally at that "good enough" stage. I look good in clothes, i have no trouble going shopping, and I'm confident enough to go out in a bikini. I know I could look BETTER at 135-140 but clearly that isn't enough to motivate me anymore.

So I'm switching goals from appearance to fitness. Now my goal is to run 5K without stopping. I'm hoping this is the key as I tend to stick to my cals and eat better if I'm working out as I hate to sabotage my efforts.

Anyone else in the same boat?

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Always. It will take me a year to lose 10 pounds probably.
  • amysteri
    amysteri Posts: 197 Member
    I'm forever "skinnyfat" :|
    oh hey... our stats are almost the same!!! twin lol!
  • smileyducky
    smileyducky Posts: 31 Member
    Yay stats twins!
  • Fitwithit80
    Fitwithit80 Posts: 499 Member
    With you there!
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    I'm in the same boat. I yoyo around 10 lbs away from my goal weight even though I know what I need to do.
  • grayblackmfp
    grayblackmfp Posts: 140 Member
    Also when you have just a few pounds left to go there's less room for error with the calorie counting. It's too easy to blow the week's deficit on a meal or a night out.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    I've been struggling with the same ten pounds for years. Lose..gain..Sometimes on purpose sometimes not..
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited July 2017
    Ditto! You just told my story. :)

I lost 42 pounds- 10 to go. The scale has been stationary for the past three months.

Running a 5k is a great goal by the way. I started running last year and it has completely changed the way I view my body and exercise. Before, I used to think of exercise as a punishment for being fat. After running a 5k, then a 10K, then a 5k faster, and now half marathon training --- I run because my body is now capable of amazing things and it makes me feel like a bad *kitten* to crush a running goal.
  • smileyducky
    smileyducky Posts: 31 Member

I lost 42 pounds- 10 to go. The scale has been stationary for the past three months.

Running a 5k is a great goal by the way. I started running last year and it has completely changed the way I view my body and exercise. Before, I used to think of exercise as a punishment for being fat. After running a 5k, then a 10K, then a 5k faster, and now half marathon training --- I run because my body is now capable of amazing things and it makes me feel like a bad *kitten* to crush a running goal.

That's awesome!! I'm a "serial starter" when it comes to running, I can't even count how many times I've quit then three months later start again the C25K program. I'm hoping this time I'll stick to it because I'm trying to see it as training and a fitness goal rather than a weight loss method
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    Same here!!! Lost 40 lbs in about a year - the last 10 are taking FOREVER!!! Probably another year....Don't really know why - but it makes me feel a bit better to read these posts with a similar issue. I have switched up my exercise routine a bit - starting taking boxing lessons, in addition to the running and yoga I've been doing - hoping to kick my body into another gear. I don't have a time "limit" on my weight loss, so I'll stick with it as long as it takes....
  • RobBasss
    RobBasss Posts: 65 Member
    Problem is the human body is too dang good at adapting, so over time that exercise that used to burn say 300 cals now only burns 250 and so on. Stupid efficient body :D You have to mix things both exercise and diet wise in hopes you drop that last 10-15.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member

That's awesome!! I'm a "serial starter" when it comes to running, I can't even count how many times I've quit then three months later start again the C25K program. I'm hoping this time I'll stick to it because I'm trying to see it as training and a fitness goal rather than a weight loss method

Sign up for a race! It will give you something to strive for. Running a 5k race is super fun and everyone is so supportive in the running community. Running with an accountability buddy also helps.
  • jcummings6
    jcummings6 Posts: 72 Member
    I'm in the same boat. 11 pounds left to go and the slow down in loss derails my motivation some days. I'm on week 7 or 8 in my 5K training made it 2.4 miles today. Ultimate goal is to run a 10k but I will be happy to run non stop for 40 minutes, hopefully that will help my calorie deficit too!
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Same. 13 down 17 to go in my weight loss journey, and I keep gaining/losing the same weight over and over again. My goal weight is guarded by a force field 10 lbs out that bombards me with junk cravings and laziness should I deign to touch it.
  • Jdismybug1
    Jdismybug1 Posts: 443 Member
    I'm 14 lbs from my goal weight. When I know I will be most confident. I will regardless keep exercising and eating healthier because I want to stick to it.
    I've thought about the fact that usually around the last 5 lbs I know I stop making it a priority. If I have that happen again I think I'm going to re evaluate my goals and possibly make more fitness goal a priority.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    I will probably give up honestly. It's just painful.
  • MrsDan1667
    MrsDan1667 Posts: 76 Member
    Well I've got 17 more to lose but I'm down to a rate of 2-2.5 pounds per month and it's getting mentally frustrating to see the same on the scale multiple times. Im 5'3 down from 155. Currently 122.4 and that is the number in so sick of seeing on the scale.

Also I'm getting to the "hey, I'm not fat" thoughts... until I sit down and look like a busted can of biscuits with all my fat rolls. I hold fat on my hips mostly and some on my lower stomach area (below belly button). I keep thinking if I could get to 110-115 maybe I wouldn't feel as fat some days. But honestly even when I was 110 in high school and 'skinny fat' I still had fatty hips. It's just how I'm built.

It's a mental thing for me though. I know adding weights would help tremendously but I need to see that 110 on the scale first even though I know that once I increase to maintainence and start adding weights the scale will go up. I know logically that will happen but I still have that "need to see the skinny fat number first".
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    I'm in the same boat. Giving myself a year...
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Stop focusing on the scale and Start lifting weights. There's a thread with some awesome stories about how women changes their bodies by lifting weights. The before and after photos are incredible and inspiring.

I'll find the link.