Weight sabotage?

So, after losing over 20lbs by hard work and disciplined eating habits over 3 months I got to within 1 lb of my goal and freaked out and started eating anything and everything and quickly gained 5 lbs.
Anyone else done this? Been trying to figure it out and know it's mental but really want to hit my original goal weight. I guess I'm just afraid of "now what?" once I get it.
Any input appreciated to keep going and push on.

Replies

• fionadg
    fionadg Posts: 28 Member
    it depends how you lost the initial 20lbs, it needs to be a calorie limit and plan you can stick to for life or you will just feel deprived, binge and regain, re-evaluate your habits and get back on track while it is only 5lb, 0lb loss is fb, 15lbloss is still fab!
  • spikedmax
    spikedmax Posts: 4 Member
    The 20lb loss was slow and steady with lifestyle change and monitoring calorie intake religiously over 3 months as well as increased physical activity. I don't see myself ever going back to eating garbage food all the time, just feels so good to be more fit and not overweight.
    Just freaking out I guess, need to set new goals and go after them like I did the first 20lbs. I don't know. It's all good just don't want to go backwards.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    It sounds like yiu dud a rapid weight of lose witj only 20lbs to lose you should aim to lose .5lbs a week and you were losing approximately 1.6lbs a week. You did a crash diet and how your having trouble which is expected. Set mfp to lose .5lbs a week and lose in a healthy sustainable way, good luck
  • Colt1835
    Colt1835 Posts: 447 Member
    edited July 2017
    malibu927 wrote: »
    20 pounds in 3 months isn't very slow at all. Is it possible you restricted your calories/foods too much?
    Edit: Don't trust my math.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    edited July 2017
    Colt1835 wrote: »
    20 pounds in 3 months isn't very slow at all. Is it possible you restricted your calories/foods too much?
    It's not fast though. About .6 pounds per week if my math is right.

12 weeks in 3 months 20lbs÷ 12weeks=1.6lbs/week
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member

About 1.67 pounds per week
  • Colt1835

12 weeks in 3 months 20lbs÷ 12weeks=1.6lbs/week

About 1.67 pounds per week
    Y'all right. I did some backwards division.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,937 Member
    edited July 2017

I don't think your math is correct. 3 months = 13 weeks. 20lbs / 13 weeks = 1.54 lbs per week. Not overly fast but possibly too much restriction for that person mentally or emotionally. Especially if it was close to goal. OP, I'm guessing you need to figure out the emotional/ mental element to this in order to progress.
  • Colt1835
    mmapags wrote: »

I don't think your math is correct. 3 months = 13 weeks. 20lbs / 13 weeks = 1.54 lbs per week. Not overly fast but possibly too much restriction for that person mentally or emotionally. Especially if it was close to goal. OP, I'm guessing you need to figure out the emotional/ mental element to this in order to progress.
    So they tell me.

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Back to the point. @spikedmax you nailed it with realizing that it was a fear of transitioning to maintenance, which is something you don't know how to do at your goal weight.

The thing to do is change your rate of loss from (20 lb in 3 months) to (0.5 lb in 1 week) and take a little bit longer to reach your maintenance weight at a more gentle glide angle. When that happens, the transition to maintenance will be a very small additional single food item to your daily intake. It will be something like 1 slice of bread or 1 piece of fruit additional to your previous food, and not scary at all.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,937 Member

So they tell me.

:D All posting at once!!
  • smileyducky
    smileyducky Posts: 31 Member
    Yupppp I do the same. 9 times out of ten when I'm super close to my mini weight milestones I end up having a moment of weakness and binge, thus postponing what would have been reaching a goal if I stayed strong one more day by 4-7 days (darn water weight)
  • Colt1835

So they tell me.

:D All posting at once!!
    Hey that's a good thing. You can always count on this place to jump on bad info.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    I do that.. but not in the same way. I do great most of the year but when winter hits mentally all i want to do is shut down and eat while I sit under a blanket. Tracking calories has really helped me not gain 25 pounds every winter and having to start over every summer. If I maintain or only gain 5 it's a win for me. lol
  • tomorrowistoday0000
    tomorrowistoday0000 Posts: 125 Member
    "Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among stars!"
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Now what you ask? Life after losing is simply a few more calories a day, like an Apple and handful of nuts. That's the end game, simple as that.
  • spiffychick85
    spiffychick85 Posts: 311 Member
    This happens to me too. Every time I hit a milestone I freaking panic and want to eat anything that isn't tied down. I definitely feel it's self sabotage for myself, but I'm honestly not sure how to prevent it. I will typically eat at maintenance a few days and then I feel I can tackle my deficit again. This has helped, but I'm sitting 3lbs from goal and I can't force myself to just freaking finish what I started :s ...it's like I'm terrified of finishing!
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Do you think it's from getting close to your goal or did something else stressful happen? Identify the why and react with a get back in gear mentality. If you make changes in your life, make sure they are maintainable even after the major event. 5lbs could have been a day of eating too much salt and too much in the tummy. No worries, just get back to it.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    I get bingey. Yeah. Dieting exhausts me now that I'm relatively lean. I need to have an end date in mind, and a reasonable plan to get out of my deficit without stuffing my face.