NEW!!! Kroger Copycat Halo Top

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Simple Truth is Kroger's organic private label, so I'd expect the ingredients to be very similar to Halo Top. They're not listed on the website, obviously, or someone else would have already posted them. It just says to refer to nutritional label on product packaging. Super helpful!
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited June 2017
    Halo Top is $3.99 a pint in my Kroger. I wonder how much their knock-off will be...I'm excited!
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Kroger just bought Pick n Save which is big in our area. I wonder if we'll see this? Either way, I'm sure many knockoff versions are coming. This will be much like what happened with Greek yogurt.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    I will have to try it next time I go grocery shopping at Kroger!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    I might try it. I've bought Halo Top at times but today for example we were checking out the new Fresh Market near us. HT was on sale for $4.99 and I hated spending even that much. I love Breyer's CarbSmart chocolate so I buy that a lot (recently for $2.99/half gallon which is way more reasonable!). Some variety would be nice but HT is just so pricey.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    I love Halo Top and am so glad it's easier to find then in the past. That being said I still can't bring myself to spend more than $4 on it so I limit myself to buying it at Smith's so I will definitely look for this next time I am there.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Went to Kroger today and I didn't find any. :( they did have Halo Top on sale for $3.49, so I consoles myself with some Birthday Cake Halo Top instead. I got two Catalina coupons for $2.00 off of my next two pints, which would bring it down to 2/$5.00, which is pretty awesome!
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,196 Member
    Went to Kroger today and I didn't find any. :( they did have Halo Top on sale for $3.49, so I consoles myself with some Birthday Cake Halo Top instead. I got two Catalina coupons for $2.00 off of my next two pints, which would bring it down to 2/$5.00, which is pretty awesome!

I Googled it and it said it wasn't going to be released until sometime in July. This is only the 1st, so I'd give it a week or two and check again then.
  • anaxmann
    anaxmann Posts: 103 Member
    Costco and Fred Meyer's (Kroger) are my stores and I almost always go Kirkland at Costco and Kroger or Simple Truth at Fred's, if the same item is available as offered in the name brand. The super cheap Psst... brand is sometimes okay at Fred's. We are always a bit behind in terms of getting new products, but I frequent the ice cream section looking for a good deal on Halo Top so I can stock up (can anyone really spend $6.99 on a single pint???) and will keep my eyes peeled.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    anaxmann wrote: »
    Costco and Fred Meyer's (Kroger) are my stores and I almost always go Kirkland at Costco and Kroger or Simple Truth at Fred's, if the same item is available as offered in the name brand. The super cheap Psst... brand is sometimes okay at Fred's. We are always a bit behind in terms of getting new products, but I frequent the ice cream section looking for a good deal on Halo Top so I can stock up (can anyone really spend $6.99 on a single pint???) and will keep my eyes peeled.

Halotop is between $10-$12 a pint here in Aus. You guys get it dirt cheap compared to us :(

• debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    I have got to get to kroger to try out the copy cat- I actually enjoy the kroger brand ice cream knock offs that I have bought so this should be wonderful if the price is right!
  • svel713
    svel713 Posts: 141 Member
    I found this ice cream today at my Kroger. Tried the Birthday Cake, Chocolate, and Sea Salt Caramel. The first two taste very close to the Halo Top flavors and are good. The last one is also good, but I don't remember Halo Top's version to compare it. Its like a butterscotch caramel swirl.

The tubs were by one of our three Halo Top stocking areas at the "end" freezer of an aisle. They were $3.99 full price. For comparison, Halo Top runs $5.49 where I live. A bit more expensive than I hoped but at least they're cheaper for when Halo Top isn't on sale and I want some ice cream.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    svel713 wrote: »
    I found this ice cream today at my Kroger. Tried the Birthday Cake, Chocolate, and Sea Salt Caramel. The first two taste very close to the Halo Top flavors and are good. The last one is also good, but I don't remember Halo Top's version to compare it. Its like a butterscotch caramel swirl.

The tubs were by one of our three Halo Top stocking areas at the "end" freezer of an aisle. They were $3.99 full price. For comparison, Halo Top runs $5.49 where I live. A bit more expensive than I hoped but at least they're cheaper for when Halo Top isn't on sale and I want some ice cream.

Hey, can you post an image of the nutrition label?

If that's something that you would have to figure out how to do, don't worry - I'll check it out myself at the store.
  • svel713
    svel713 Posts: 141 Member
    edited July 2017

Hey, can you post an image of the nutrition label?

If that's something that you would have to figure out how to do, don't worry - I'll check it out myself at the store.

Here's the label for the chocolate one.

Edit: I added the nutrition facts for all three flavors to the database. Just search for "Low Cow Lite Ice Cream" to find the nutrition facts for all 3 (Chocolate, Birthday Cake, Sea Salt Caramel). I made sure they were in grams.

nzlx0swnffpy.jpg
    esgaauhqd3yf.jpg
  • Dhellia
    Dhellia Posts: 84 Member
    I wish I could find something like that in Manitoba. :(
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member

So funny you say it tastes like butterscotch caramel swirl cuz that's exactly what halo tops salted caramel tastes like to me! How's the texture of these compared to halo top? I notice halo top is hit or miss with texture. Sometimes super soft and creamy without having to thaw and other times it's hard as a rock.

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    @svel713 - Thank you !

:flowerforyou:

I was excited for a minute too...but I won't buy it either. :neutral:
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member

Maybe they'll be cheaper in different locations. Kroger sells Halo Top for $4.99 where I live, but it's pretty much constantly "on sale" for $3.99.