Smoothies

2»

Replies

• clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    @Skyfallbw if you scroll up to the top of the page there's a star just above the first post (NOT the one by the bell). Click that to bookmark the thread. (That's where it is for my interface, at least.) The one by the bell will take you to your list of bookmarked threads.
  • Skyfallbw
    Skyfallbw Posts: 12 Member
    Thanks so much. I added the posts to my favorites on my desktop. I just added this post as you suggested and it worked. It will help when following a specific thread. Thanks again.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    I have a green smoothie every morning. My go-to recipe is ice, coconut water and unsweetened almond milk as the base and then kale and spinach, a type of berry, a frozen banana, one other fruit (kiwi, cantaloupe etc), and then two kinds of seeds (ground flax seed, chia, sunflower, hemp etc).
  • catgil554
    catgil554 Posts: 12 Member
    How many calories are in those smoothies?
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    catgil554 wrote: »
    How many calories are in those smoothies?

I'm making one in a few minutes-I'll post calorie totals in a few!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    I occasionally make a green smoothie, green because of kale. 60 g Kale, 30 g PB2, 4 oz whole milk kefir, 1 oz frozen mixed berries 1 oz hulled hemp seeds, 1 frozen banana, and some crushed ice. Blend for 3 minutes. The weight of the banana influences the total calories. Most recently a 104 g banana made a 385 calorie smoothie which I consumed at 6 a.m. on Saturday and it held me until my noon lunch. After some exercise and some more food Saturday I checked-in Sunday with a loss of 1.0 lb. Nothing guarantees a 1.0 lb loss, but I was working off a recent exceptionally high calorie day in the week previous.
  • anaxmann
    anaxmann Posts: 103 Member
    I was never really a smoothie person before, but lately I am not really hungry after my workout in the morning and I can take a smoothie with me and sip on it at work. I have been doing a protein smoothie with spinach:
    1 to 1.5 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    1/2 to 1 scoop chocolate whey protein powder
    1 serving (~85 g) raw spinach
    1 to 2 tbsp heavy cream
    ice
    water
    1 or 2 g xantham gum
    (sometimes I add instant coffee)
    I blend everything together in my NutriBullet for 2 to 3 minutes so that it is super smooth. The xantham gum is a thickening agent, but I also find that it helps keep things emulsified, which seems to work best if you put it in with the protein powder. I typically only add water if the bender is having a hard time crushing the ice. I vary the ingredient amounts based on what I have planned for my snack and lunch.

I make it a bit differently for my SO:
    1 to 1.5 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk or regular milk (if we have it)
    1 scoop chocolate whey protein
    1 scoop vanilla whey protein
    1 to 3 tbsp peanut butter
    1 to 2 tbsp heavy cream
    ice
    banana (if I have one frozen)
    water
    1 or 2 g xantham gum
    Same process, although I always put in some extra water because it won't blend without. He typically doesn't get to take a lunch at work and needs to make sure he gets plenty of protein and calories to avoid losing muscle mass, of which he has quite a bit (former college football player). He may start letting me put spinach in his too because he said mine tasted good when he tried it last week - gotta get them micros.