Is it cheating to weigh yourself naked?

1235»

Replies

• AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Ha! I only weigh myself in the morning, naked, after going to the bathroom, before eating, and after my morning run.

If I thought it would make me lighter, I would inhale the air from a helium ballon before stepping on the scale. ;)
  • danduffell
    danduffell Posts: 107 Member
    Only Cheating if you weigh yourself while at the same time making love to someone who is not your partner ! LOL - joking :D .. not its the most accurate way to weigh yourself !
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    When they weigh you at the clinic, they are looking for long-term trends to get a general read on your health. They are not trying to track your weight with a great degree of accuracy - weighing with clothes and shoes on is sufficient for their purpose.
  • infinitynevermore
    infinitynevermore Posts: 98 Member
    I always weigh Saturday morning, naked, after using the bathroom. My clothing, depending on the time of year, can be anywhere between 1.5 and 7.5 lbs, and I don't want my doc to not believe me when I tell her I've started exercising.
  • getfitchelle
    getfitchelle Posts: 31 Member
    edited July 2017
    Never ever had a doctor weigh me?! Yikes. I can't see how that is something they need to know. If he/she wanted to know for some important reason, like an adult they would trust me to know what I weigh and just ask me.

Yes I weigh each morning, naked, after a pee. It's very cold in NZ right now and we have no heating so that's...fun.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    vismal wrote: »
    It's not cheating, just be consistent. If you weigh naked, always weigh naked. If you weigh clothed, always weigh clothed. I weigh myself at home in my underwear only first thing in the morning. If I weigh at the doctors with my shoes on after I've eaten I know I'll weigh more but it doesn't matter because I know why I weigh more.

I work in a clinic. I ask people if they want to unload pockets, take shoes off etc. I also them it's just a ballpark weight, since you've eaten food, drank water, aren't weighing naked
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Never ever had a doctor weigh me?! Yikes. I can't see how that is something they need to know. If he/she wanted to know for some important reason, like an adult they would trust me to know what I weigh and just ask me.

Yes I weigh each morning, naked, after a pee. It's very cold in NZ right now and we have no heating so that's...fun.

I think it's more of an American thing. I've been weighed exactly 2 times in my adult life by a doctor. Once was at my 45 year old health check a few months ago, and the other one was a couple years ago when i stupidly asked my doctor to prescribe me phentermine. The next weigh in will probably be in another 5-10 years.
  • Muana1005
    Muana1005 Posts: 172 Member
    Ok so to put this into perspective, weighed myself morning of IVF referral and was respectable 74. During the appointment and with clothes I weighed 84 and was rejected because I was 'obese'. They have asked me to lose weight 'by any means possible' which is just crap really because they should have weighed me naked.
  • tomorrowistoday0000
    tomorrowistoday0000 Posts: 125 Member
    No, it's called being honest with yourself. You're cheating yourself those extra pounds.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I think your cheating yourself and your achievements by weighing yourself fully clothed, boots and all.

Like i said in my earlier post, i weigh myself in the mornings wearing light pj pants and tank top which make no noticeable change in the number on the scales. Winter clothes could easily add 2-3kgs :weary:
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    I used to weigh myself fully clothed (jeans, sweater even). Now this makes me realize how horribly underweight I used to be. When I went to the doctor about eating and weight concerns she took extra measures to make sure it was accurate by just having me wear a hospital gown.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    agree about consistency in the how. but even with that, my advice is to expect small ups and downs anyway. i typically vary by three or four pounds just in my socks and skivvies.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,978 Member

I think it's more of an American thing. I've been weighed exactly 2 times in my adult life by a doctor. Once was at my 45 year old health check a few months ago, and the other one was a couple years ago when i stupidly asked my doctor to prescribe me phentermine. The next weigh in will probably be in another 5-10 years.

Not sure if it is an american thing or a depends on the patient thing.

As I said I work in a medical centre in Australia - people on care plans (ie chronic disease management) get weighed at each care plan - ie 6 - 12 monthly.
    Because weight control is relevant to good diabetic, cardiac, and other illnesses and to preventative holistic care,
    Is also always part of pre employment medicals and some other medicals - eg heavy vehicle licences.
    and in pregnancy
    and for medication dosages of some medications

But, sure, there are plenty of patients outside these parameters who may never be weighed - especially if they do not look obviously over weight and part of their health care isnt advising them of weight issues.

• pikeymullan84
    pikeymullan84 Posts: 1 Member
    If you are weighing for the purpose of weight loss/gain it's important to be consistent. If you weigh naked the first time, weigh naked every time, the same goes for time of day. If the first time you weighed was at the end of the day after eating three meals then that's when you should weigh every time. Another important point is not to bother weighing every day as your body's water content can fluctuate your weigh by up to 1kg a day, it's probably best to weigh in a maximum of once a week and don't get disheartened if your weight goes the wrong direction one week as it's all about long term goals.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Muana1005 wrote: »
    Ok so to put this into perspective, weighed myself morning of IVF referral and was respectable 74. During the appointment and with clothes I weighed 84 and was rejected because I was 'obese'. They have asked me to lose weight 'by any means possible' which is just crap really because they should have weighed me naked.

There may have been a clothing allowance built in to their guidelines. But 10 kg of clothing is quite a lot! It's possible one of the scales is off, more than likely yours unfortunately.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    whineryjnw wrote: »
    I'm not being perverted just being serious and honest. At the doctors the weigh you with shoes and the works on so are you cheating yourselfs by weighing yourself at home naked as opposed to with clothes on at the doctors?

It isn't cheating. Just be consistent and always do the same whenever you weigh at home. Don't count the doctor's weight as part of your personal records.