Tuna salad

2»

Replies

• Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    I make my own mayo, which I think is tastier and healthier. It's not the lowest-calorie idea ever but I find that because it's so flavorful, a small amout goes a long way.

* 1 egg
    * 1 tbsp lemon juice
    * 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
    * 1 cup light olive oil (it has to be light olive oil or the flavor is bitter and not yummy)
    * Dashes of salt and pepper

I put everything except the light olive oil in a wide-mouth mason jar and blend it with an immersion blender. Then I slowly add the light olive oil, while continuing to blend. The entire process takes maybe 1 minute. I'm sure a regular blender would work as well, just add the light olive oil last.
  • Tennisskater
    Tennisskater Posts: 66 Member
    I make my own chimichurri sauce and mix with tomatoes and chopped green peppers
  • lsardoff
    lsardoff Posts: 3 Member
    Smashed avacado
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Malt vinegar and a bunch of tiny chopped veggies like carrot, onion and bell pepper.
  • shyhall
    shyhall Posts: 24 Member

Philidelphia light cheese, mixed up with tuna is really tasty. The mini pots are only 53 calories.

46653011_1_640x640.jpg?identifier=661b76f793e0afa17d8844f3ba86efc5

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    For one packet of tuna, try a 1/2 container of single serve guacamole. Plenty to moisten it for a sandwich
  • RebekahAnn88
    RebekahAnn88 Posts: 46 Member
    My hubby loves lime with tuna :smiley:
  • mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    start w/ 1/2 greek yogurt & 1/2 mayo. Or switch to low fat mayo. avocado is good in there and a good fat
  • alwznlace
    alwznlace Posts: 3 Member
    I use the light olive garden salad dressing. So good
  • PattyHewes
    PattyHewes Posts: 1 Member
    I can second the Dijon. Really good. If you want to avoid mayo but are ok with Paleo type substitutes then I have used Tessamae's ranch and that is tasty.

Not quite tuna salad but sometimes I throw in franks red hot. Delicious.
  • asianolikeyou
    asianolikeyou Posts: 393 Member
    Greek yogurt and a bit of spicy mustard, add in some chopped celery and shredded romaine
  • _pi3_
    _pi3_ Posts: 2,311 Member
    Greek yogurt, avacado
  • nyguyintucson
    nyguyintucson Posts: 4 Member
    havent tried it yet, but saw a recipe on allrecipes for tuna mixed with hummus that got very good reviews.
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/202115/mayo-free-tuna-sandwich-filling/
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    For tuna salad I use Miracle Whip Light
    Never really liked mayo in my Tuna Salad. I do like mayo.
  • bruby28
    bruby28 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Greek yogurt with fresh lemon .. half avocado half cottage cheese ..mustard or relish ..half avocado half sour cream
  • rob0781
    rob0781 Posts: 16 Member
    I usually eat tuna out of the can for a change rather then a protein shake. But if im making a tuna sandwich I always use mustard , if your counting calories and being picky best thing you can do is learn to love mustard. .
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,069 Member
    non-dairy variants for summertime? dash of EVOO, splash of lemon juice/zest, herbs of choice, minced veg of choice (celery, onion [red, white, scallion, shallot, ...], sweet peppers, cherry/grape tomatoes, etc., S&P, perhaps a little kick with spice (cayenne, red pepper flakes, chili sauce), etc.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    I eat tuna salad at least 2x a week. Like I'm addicted. I use Duke's Light Mayo w/ Olive Oil (I'm a Southerner...it's gotta be Dukes). Maybe you could try greek yogurt? I like my tuna salad tangy so I use a lot of dill, too.
  • bababs89
    bababs89 Posts: 307 Member
    Avocado! yum!