Zero Carber-give me your meat!

12345679»

Replies

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Keep it going @Kirstie155!

I have decided that 2 months on ZC is enough for me - not because it wasn't working or wasn't sustainable, but because I have decided that I really like veggies and berries and miss eating them (even in small quantities). I have been slowly adding them back in - I will keep my carbs below 50g total for the day - but I WANT things like broccoli and cauliflower and blueberries in my diet (never thought I would say something like that) and I will judiciously consume them.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Good to see you are getting back on the wagon. I switched to ZC on Mar. 1 and have been able to keep it up so far. The plan is to keep this going until at least mid-April, but I'm going to have a huge carb cheat weekend at the end of April for my birthday. Looking forward to that is a big part of how I can keep this going... I just remind myself how close I'm getting.
  • Kirstie155
    Kirstie155 Posts: 1,001 Member
    Thanks @ccrdragon! I really havent missed the veggies tbh. I find meat so satisfying! I could eat ribeyes and cheeseburgers everyday! Sweets are a super slippery slope for me, so still avoiding fruit like the plague. Glad you found what works for you!

@midwesterner85 Glad you are liking ZC! Ive been at it for about 2 months now, and just want to say that cheat meal might just knock you out like mine did after you've been going strong for 6 weeks! A glass of wine here, a (as in, one!) cracker there dont seem to cause me any real lasting discomfort though. A little bloat and it's gone the next day.

What have you been eating? I ve just about removed eggs from my diet, but not on purpose. They just arent appealing to me so much anymore. I eat loads of beef, some chicken for variety and occasionally some pork chops or brisket. I try not to eat too much cheese and keep it as a condiment and not a major part of the meal. Oh, and Kerrygold butter. I nibble on that with my fork while waiting for my steak to cook!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Yes, I expect to need about 2 weeks to recover after that cheat weekend. Because BG issues and electolytes.

I have been eating hamburger just cooked and plain, eggs, coffee is my exception and I put protein powder and HWC in it (ends up being a few carbs there). Chicken breast, sausages, cheese, pepperoni. Mon. I cooked a pork shoulder and will be eating the last of it tomorrow. Sat. will be bacon and eggs, perhaps some sausage and/or chicken. I'm meeting at a restaurant and will get a bunless burger with cheese, bacon, and maybe an egg on it.
  • suzc11
    suzc11 Posts: 79 Member
    That's hilarious!
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Looks like the dog wants to be a zero carber too.....lol....
  • Kirstie155
    This was so funny! Hahaha! I know of 2 friends that have recently become vegan. Ughhhh. Can I at least eat your meat instead???
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Another question for the zero-carbers….are you ever concerned about your iron levels? Perhaps that isn't important for those who are younger, but would an older person have to be concerned about too much iron eating zero-carb?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    RAC56 wrote: »
    Another question for the zero-carbers….are you ever concerned about your iron levels? Perhaps that isn't important for those who are younger, but would an older person have to be concerned about too much iron eating zero-carb?

Surprisingly, you really don't eat much more meat than just following keto or other low carb. Maybe 10-20g more tops.
    That is something for someone to be aware of though. High levels of iron can actually lead to insulin resistance so that would be a symptom to be converned about if it were new. But honestly, we aren't eating much if any more meat than anyone else.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,045 Member
    cstehansen wrote: »
    Kirstie155 wrote: »
    Now what do I do with the jar of hamburger grease I have? :/

If there is a sale on meat that is super lean (i.e. skinless chicken breast), you may need to add some fat when cooking it.

YES , this is what I sometimes do, add butter or bacon fat to meats that are extra lean, works perfectly.

Thanks for Bacon, Meatloaf and all the great pictures, support here is phenomenal :)
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member

I donate blood. And I have normal iron levels every time. Not sure if I stopped if that would cause problems, but I doubt it.
  • Kirstie155
    Just thought I'd give an update! Still mostly ZC, though last Friday I had some wine and a 2 cookies. Then Saturday had a few chips, then Sunday rolled around...had a whole sub and chips with a huge piece of cake and some ice cream. It is a slippery slope friends. Glad to say that the 6# (yes, SIX POUNDS) of bloat is gone, the stomach cramps that woke me up in the middle of the night have passed, and my bowels will hopefully settle the kitten down soon (still have some upset on Thursday.) So, lesson learned! I will not be doing that again anytime soon, and on Monday I mostly fasted and have eaten Ribeyes and ground beef with coffee and water ever since.

Its been over a week since I fell hard off the wagon, and I am still experiencing tummy troubles. Ughhhhh so not worth it!
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Just thought I'd give an update! Still mostly ZC, though last Friday I had some wine and a 2 cookies. Then Saturday had a few chips, then Sunday rolled around...had a whole sub and chips with a huge piece of cake and some ice cream. It is a slippery slope friends. Glad to say that the 6# (yes, SIX POUNDS) of bloat is gone, the stomach cramps that woke me up in the middle of the night have passed, and my bowels will hopefully settle the kitten down soon (still have some upset on Thursday.) So, lesson learned! I will not be doing that again anytime soon, and on Monday I mostly fasted and have eaten Ribeyes and ground beef with coffee and water ever since.

Its been over a week since I fell hard off the wagon, and I am still experiencing tummy troubles. Ughhhhh so not worth it!

@Kristie155 I am considering/planning to try 0 carb and am curious to get an update from you on your experience. Are you still at it? Has your digestive system settled? Have you lost more weight?
  • Kirstie155
    @4031isaiah I am not still zero carb. I found it to be difficult in social situations, and I gather with friends or family at least once or twice a month if not more. I genuinely enjoy cooking recipes, and eating vegetables (summer tomatoes with basil, a fresh Cesar salad!) So I decided it wasn't for me. I do still eat a very heavy animal based diet. I am now doing a lazy keto/low carb while eating things like SF jello, lunch meats, meatloaf, steamed broccoli, all the meats and cheeses.
    There are several long term ZCers on here like @FIT_Goat and @Sunny_Bunny_ who can tell you more about their long term experience.
    Good luck if you decide to go for it!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member

In healthy people, excess iron from food will be discarded and won't build up. It's only if you have a medical issue that keeps your body from doing that, and/or you take supplements is there usually a problem.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    I can't actually take iron as a supplement; I have Thalassemia Minor and for whatever reasons blood experts can give, I can't process it. I take Folic Acid 5mg. It's prescribed here in the UK, although in other countries, I can get it over the counter.... But I get plenty of nutritional Iron from my foodstuffs.
  • wozy46
    wozy46 Posts: 115 Member
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

In healthy people, excess iron from food will be discarded and won't build up. It's only if you have a medical issue that keeps your body from doing that, and/or you take supplements is there usually a problem.

I use a cast iron skillet for cooking most of my meat, and I've read that iron from the skillet leaches into food. Is this something to worry about? I'm one of those "older persons".
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    wozy46 wrote: »
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

I use a cast iron skillet for cooking most of my meat, and I've read that iron from the skillet leaches into food. Is this something to worry about? I'm one of those "older persons".

/shrug

Apparently it's a way to get it in, though I question whether it actually equates to blood iron levels (the linked article says it does, but it says "cooking in cast iron and an iron-rich diet," because apparently nutrition science doesn't need to worry about that whole "confounding variables" things...). Then there's the matter of the layer of seasoning on a properly-cared-for skillet blocking the leeching of iron over the long term.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    For anyone worried about iron intake, be sure your stomach acid levels and digestive enzymes are good. Apparently, it's nigh on impossible to break it down enough to absorb it otherwise. B12, too, apparently is another acid-sink... And to my understanding, that is from dietary intake OR supplements, on both.