Keto Woman...to be or not to be

fordgie
fordgie Posts: 3 Member
I did a very modified keto plan about 2 yrs ago w/my boyfriend (he went into ketosis). I slowly lost 15lbs in 3 mos and have kept them off since (~5lbs can come on whenever perimenopause takes over).

Anyway, I began the plan again to try and get another 10+ lbs off, and trying to understand how my choices may impact my hormones (now closer to menopause), if too much fat and protein will affect my overall balance.

Wondering if anyone has any insight or their own experience they can share?

Appreciate words of wisdom!

Replies

• anaxmann
    anaxmann Posts: 103 Member
    Look up Healthful Pursuit on YouTube. She talks quite a bit about macro ratios and hormone balancing. There is also a Keto Meets Menopause channel that you might find interesting.
    My mom has done a lot of research into hormones since she started going through menopause and is trying to figure out a way to be on the keto diet, but she had her gall bladder removed a year or so ago and got pretty sick when she tried to transition to keto. Now she is looking at some of the supplements that Healthful Pursuit recommends for that situation, but hasn't taken the leap because she doesn't want to get sick again. She is one of the people who can't tolerate the high fat level without her gallbladder; many can.
  • Im sooooo new to this and want to try keto....
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    fordgie wrote: »
    I did a very modified keto plan about 2 yrs ago w/my boyfriend (he went into ketosis). I slowly lost 15lbs in 3 mos and have kept them off since (~5lbs can come on whenever perimenopause takes over).

Anyway, I began the plan again to try and get another 10+ lbs off, and trying to understand how my choices may impact my hormones (now closer to menopause), if too much fat and protein will affect my overall balance.

Wondering if anyone has any insight or their own experience they can share?

Appreciate words of wisdom!

first of all 15 lb in 3 months is a lot,I wouldnt call it slow thats about 1 1/4 lb a week. Ive been in perimenopause since I wad in my mid 30s. Im about to turn 43(next month).Too much fat and protein shouldnt affect your balance unless they are putting you over your maintenance calories. if you have hormone issues you need to see a dr to see what is causing it. I dont do keto but I lost weight. you dont need to eat keto if you dont want you just have to be in a caloric deficit.

I also have a metabolic disorder and still lost weight(45lbs to date). the less weight you have the slower its going to be and the more accurate you need to be with your calories. if you dont have a food scale get one(they are cheap) and weigh everything solids/semi solids in grams and you can weigh all liquids in cups and measuring spoons.

I lose weight slowly too but I still lost. Im still trying to lose about 25lbs but while my weight is stalled Im losing fat so thats a plus. all thats needed is a calorie deficit to lose weight,of course exercise is for health and to improve how your body looks and good for circulation and other things.keto isnt going to make you lose any faster though,the big amounts that are lost in keto are mostly water and glycogen stores.

many women here have lost weight while in perimenopause,menopause and post menopause.

• JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Bear in mind that the various macro specific fads out there (Keto, Paleo, Mediterranean, etc.) are NOT what causes you to lose weight. Weight loss is caused by your body being in a caloric deficit; so simply put your body burning more calories than you take in. If you are in such a deficit, you will lose weight. This happens regardless of what your macro intakes might or might not be.

Various people report success with fad diets, but the reason they are successful is for the same reason any one else is: they maintain a favorable ratio of calories in vs. calories out.

Since you are just starting out, I would suggest you visit one of many sites out there which calculates your TDEE. Once you have this information, you can then devise a plan of attack to ensure you remain in a deficit. Armed with this knowledge weight loss becomes little more than a math problem, and not a very complicated one either. You can go whatever route you would like as far as food to end up on the winning side of the equation.

Best of luck as you kick things off.