Atkins Support Group

Replies

• LaJauna
    LaJauna Posts: 336 Member
    OK guys I need some encouramet this is the third day in row with no weight loss...I don't know what the issue is I still lose inches why would that be. I thought if I was losing inches the weight would go with it too.... :(. I am on long term inducton so I haven't upped my carbs or my protien- any body else stalling or have stalled and had weight loss later? Also how does one "keep things moving" you know what I mean-its been days!

Well if you are constipated that could have something to do with your stalled weight loss. I wouldn't worry about it too much though. The Atkins site specifically not to weigh yourself every day cause you can really drive yourself crazy with the daily fluctuation. But if you are losing inches that is wonderful, that means that you are most likely building lean muscle mass. A pound of fat takes up the size of 3 grapefruits and burns 2 calories per pound at rest. A pound of muscle takes the space of 2 oranges and burns 52 calories per pound at rest!

On the subject of "keeping things moving", I am having the same problem so far. I looked up a list of the highest fiber vegetables, and broccoli, brussel sprouts, and bell peppers are all good. But the clear winner is avocado it has a whole avocado has about 14 cabs but 12 of those are from fiber (so only 2 net carbs). I am going to get some of these and see how things go. Coffee is another Atkins friendly item that has been note to get things moving. Good luck!

Low carb eating/way of eating does not produce a linear weight loss. It comes off in spurts and bursts! I weigh every day, but I only register my new lows on MFP counter. I jump up and down daily! I know when I see a new low, I am on my way down to a new size of jeans! I lose way more inches then pounds! You lose fat from your cells which are then followed by water in the cells (water weighs more in mass then fat (takes up less space) and then after a few days the water is released and a new low on the scale is registered. The scale is just a measuring tool. It measures everything, fat, water, muscle.....you are only guessing at which is causing the jump at the scale. Your clothes are the most accurate measure or a tape measure is even better!
  • LaJauna
    Hey guys how many calories are planning to consume during Atkins? Still sticking with what MFP say? MFP says that I should consume1,200 net calories. But the Atkins web site recommends between 1,500 and 1,800. I am trying to consume my body weight in grams of protein (175), which is proving challenging. I find it is pretty much impossible to do that while also staying within my MFP recommended calories. I am particularly interested to know what those of you who have already had some success with Atkins did. Thanx!

Don't count calories, adjust your percentages to register the higher fat intake, low carb intake and the protein will fall somewhere in the middle. Calories are not important...I set my percentages at 70% fat/ 25%protein and 4% carbohydrate.
  • LaJauna
    I have started doing Atkins every other day....on off days a low-carb diet.....with plenty of exerc:wink: ise very determined to loose this weight.....

What plan are you doing on your OFF days?
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    I am not really on Atkins, but am following Dukan...On the Attack Phase and Cruise Phase, I try to keep my carbs below 60g. On this, we are allowed non fat dairy though, which accounts for 95% of the carbs on non vegetable days, and about 50% on vegetable days. So far, so good! I am one week in, have loads of energy and am down 5 pounds!!!
  • cobylea
    cobylea Posts: 194 Member
    BUMP! I'm going to be starting Atkins in a few days (after I do an over haul on my cupboards and go grocery shopping) :) I have a horrible addiction to heavy carbs and know that something has to be done. I've been continually gaining and having carb binges. I hate how I feel and want to get out of this carb slump that I'm in. It's great to see there are some people with Atkins knowledge and advice!
  • LaJauna
    I have a friend who lost over 100 lbs doing the Atkins diet. He has told me he ate like a pound of bacon a day doing this diet. I find it so hard to believe that you can do that but it works....he is proof.

He also worked out really heavily which you must do regardless of any diet. Its pretty amazing what you can do when you basically add protein and cut out carbs.

It is not really a high protein diet. It is a high fat diet with moderate protein and low carbs.
  • PaulaDDN
    PaulaDDN Posts: 162 Member
    I <3 Atkins
  • PaulaDDN
    PaulaDDN Posts: 162 Member
    Bump because I don't know how to "bookmark" anything...

Me neither :(
  • bron_89
    bron_89 Posts: 33
    My stomach wont stop making loud growling sounds today! I have eaten alot though and i dont feel hungry! Is this my body screaming for heavy carbs? hahaha
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    My stomach wont stop making loud growling sounds today! I have eaten alot though and i dont feel hungry! Is this my body screaming for heavy carbs? hahaha

If it's just making sounds and you don't feel hungry, it's just your stomach and intestines working. Sometimes they can get 'vocal'. Hehe
  • kittrelle
    kittrelle Posts: 67
    Hey all- just wanted to tell ya about my splenda experience. I lost 8 pounds in induction and stayed there for a week. Some folks on the Atkins Bulletin Board suspected it could be due to artificial sweetner. I enjoyed: sugarless gum, sugarless Jello, Mio beverage enhancer...I think that's it. Well I cut out the Jello and Mio and the gum to 3 slices a day and in 2 days I've lost 2 pounds!! I was told that even at zero carbs, some bodies treat Splenda and the like as sugar, anyway, that's why you limit it to 3 svgs. Lucky me that my body is so on the job. Boooo! I really like the Mio sweet tea, but I guess plain water is good, too.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Hey all- just wanted to tell ya about my splenda experience. I lost 8 pounds in induction and stayed there for a week. Some folks on the Atkins Bulletin Board suspected it could be due to artificial sweetner. I enjoyed: sugarless gum, sugarless Jello, Mio beverage enhancer...I think that's it. Well I cut out the Jello and Mio and the gum to 3 slices a day and in 2 days I've lost 2 pounds!! I was told that even at zero carbs, some bodies treat Splenda and the like as sugar, anyway, that's why you limit it to 3 svgs. Lucky me that my body is so on the job. Boooo! I really like the Mio sweet tea, but I guess plain water is good, too.

You might try a different artificial sweetener and see if that works better for you. Truvia is supposed to be pretty good and better for you than Splenda. Not sure how many pre-packaged items are out there for sale that use it, but you can buy some packets and add it, plus lemon or lime juice to your water for a low cal drink.
  • musicgirl99
    musicgirl99 Posts: 252 Member
    Hi everyone - I just started doing Atkins again last week - did it 5 years ago and lost about 15 lbs. I'm also currently doing Insanity and am finding it hard to keep my energy up for such an intense workout. Anyone doing Insanity and low carb or can offer any advice on how to keep up energy levels??
  • LaJauna
    I am not really on Atkins, but am following Dukan...On the Attack Phase and Cruise Phase, I try to keep my carbs below 60g. On this, we are allowed non fat dairy though, which accounts for 95% of the carbs on non vegetable days, and about 50% on vegetable days. So far, so good! I am one week in, have loads of energy and am down 5 pounds!!!

I don't know why you would want to eat a low fat diet. The thing about Atkins that makes it sustainable is all the wonderfully high fat foods that are built into the plan. Full fat cheeses, meats with marbled fat, chicken with the skin on, real butter, coconut oils, flax seed meal. I love me some FAT! The average Atkins dieter should be eating 60-70% of their daily calories in fat. 5-10% of their calories in carbs and let protein fall somewhere in the middle.
  • I just wanted to say that I lost 60 lbs years ago doing atkins. It worked well back then but I had a lot more weight to loose. I kept it off for about 7 years now I have to try and loose 20 lbs after having surgery. I started about a week ago and it doesn't seem to be working this time. I'm not sure what is going on but I just wanted to let you guys know that it does work and once you get used to it it's pretty easy! Good luck!
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Hi everyone - I just started doing Atkins again last week - did it 5 years ago and lost about 15 lbs. I'm also currently doing Insanity and am finding it hard to keep my energy up for such an intense workout. Anyone doing Insanity and low carb or can offer any advice on how to keep up energy levels??

This is normal. I'm doing a low carb diet, and still do intense workouts 5-6 days a week.

On days that you work out, try eating half an apple or banana 1-2 hours before you work out and the other half right after. If you still feel sluggish, add a little more carbs before a workout (maybe a whole apple or banana). Everyones body is different, so you'll need to experiment.
  • pork_belly
    pork_belly Posts: 144
    I just wanted to say that I lost 60 lbs years ago doing atkins. It worked well back then but I had a lot more weight to loose. I kept it off for about 7 years now I have to try and loose 20 lbs after having surgery. I started about a week ago and it doesn't seem to be working this time. I'm not sure what is going on but I just wanted to let you guys know that it does work and once you get used to it it's pretty easy! Good luck!

You can also try some type of IF (intermittent fasting) schedule. I hit a plateau on my atkins diet and i boosted my weight loss by using IF. I do the Fast-5 methodology - I only eat during a five hour window. That window is from 5PM to 10PM. At least half of the non-eating hours are my resting/sleeping period.
  • cobylea
    cobylea Posts: 194 Member
    Just wondering if anybody had a problem with gaining weight once they got out of the induction phase and started to add healthy carbs back into their diet? I've only just started the induction phase today but I have such a carb addiction and I only know that carbs are a big part of the reason that I'm at the weight I am now. I get scared even thinking about adding healthy carbs into my diet because of the effects they might have on my weight loss.
  • beernutz
    beernutz Posts: 136
    I play tennis and if I know I'm playing singles for more than an hour I'll carb up with some dextrose or other fast absorbing carbs in the hour before I play. It helps stop fatigue from setting in. I usually only take in about 50-60 grams of carbs this way and I'll also drink a 20oz bottle of gatorade during play which has 34 grams of carbs. I've experimented with more or less and this amount seems to work for me. If I need more while playing I can always take some. I use sweetarts or smarties candy because they're cheap but there are also "carb up" gels or goos you can buy which essentially do the same thing. Of course drinking a ton of water before during and after exercise when doing low carb is especially important.
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Just wondering if anybody had a problem with gaining weight once they got out of the induction phase and started to add healthy carbs back into their diet? I've only just started the induction phase today but I have such a carb addiction and I only know that carbs are a big part of the reason that I'm at the weight I am now. I get scared even thinking about adding healthy carbs into my diet because of the effects they might have on my weight loss.

I think the best thing to do is find out which of these carbs are your triggers and then avoid them all together. I know that rice and wheat slow my weight loss and are triggers for me, so I'll stay away from them, for example.