What's your though on the Blood Type Diet

Replies

• WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    I'd be screwed because somehow... I have no idea what my blood type is.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Theo166 wrote: »
    stealthq wrote: »
    Theo166 wrote: »
    I found a research report that showed each version of diet was effective as a diet, but there was no special connection to your blood type. It's just a fad approach that may help one psychologically in restricting their calories in.

edit: found the link https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3893150/

I am annoyed that some researcher thought assigning diets by blood type was potentially valid enough to spend time and money testing the hypothesis. Or maybe there's a real need for ABO diet debunking in Canada?

I think valid research that debunks pseudoscience fad diets is in the public interest, much better than some of the money thrown at climate change research (i"m all for valid climate research but much has been wasted). Grad students need something to work on.

Sometimes I worry about the potential effect of legitimizing the obviously ridiculous by ever giving it a stage next to real science because then the purveyors of that which is clearly hokum will use the fact that they got a seat at the table, a place in the debate with real scientists, or an actual study commissioned as a wedge to try and say that what they're doing is anything other than fantasy.

It's a double-edged sword in many cases. If you don't refute them (and spend time and money and effort to let them on the stage so you can) they scream that science is afraid of them. If you do, they claim they got their place on the stage because they're "real science" too.

May I borrow every word of this for the next time someone asks me why I'm an Atheist? This works for so many situations.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    For anyone who, because Dr. Oz is a surgeon, still want to argue he must know what of he speaks, I have two words for you: Ben Carson.

Consider: "My own personal theory is that Joseph built the pyramids to store grain. Now all the archaeologists think that they were made for the pharaohs’ graves. But, you know, it would have to be something awfully big if you stop and think about it. And I don’t think it’d just disappear over the course of time to store that much grain."

Big difference, is that's a theological and not a medical opinion.

Dr Oz presents erroneous medical opinions.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Just another far diet. Might as well base a diet on hair color or eye color.
  • SiegfriedXXL
    SiegfriedXXL Posts: 219 Member
    BabyBear76 wrote: »

Oh, but my eyes are hazel so what type of diet would that mean? Would I have to eat a combo of the blue-eyed and green-eyed diet or have one especially for me? Be right back, writing a diet book. Look for it in stores soon.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Sure sounds fun. It's like your horoscope. It has entertainment value, but you shouldn't live your life by it. ;)
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Chocolate. And lots of coffee. Duh!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member

Oh, but my eyes are hazel so what type of diet would that mean? Would I have to eat a combo of the blue-eyed and green-eyed diet or have one especially for me? Be right back, writing a diet book. Look for it in stores soon.

Mine are green/blue/grey/brown hazel - though the brown bits are freckles.

I figure I can either eat anything or nothing on this diet. With my luck, it'll be nothing.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member

I figure I can either eat anything or nothing on this diet. With my luck, it'll be nothing.

But you'll definitely lose weight!
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    bunk
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Chocolate. And lots of coffee. Duh!

Perfect!
  • SiegfriedXXL
    SiegfriedXXL Posts: 219 Member

You can eat everything but it has to be perfectly timed with your color shifts. Woe betide you if you eat green eyed foods while your eyes trend grey. Then all those calories will turn to fat and you'll gain XX of pounds at once. :D
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    To be brief, there is no scientific evidence to support the blood type diet as it has been presented and no clinical evidence that it improves health. Zero.

Mr. D'Adamo and others are floating these ideas on nothing but pure speculation and rhetorical gymnastics.
  • SnocoPower
    SnocoPower Posts: 18 Member
    I was one of the suckers that fell for it years ago, and I mean I followed it to the T for about 3 months...all I lost was a lot of patience, and all I gained was acid reflux.
  • saltlakecitywestsider
    saltlakecitywestsider Posts: 17 Member
    edited July 2017

Actually, I think you would have to eat a combo of the brown-eyed diet and the green-eyed diet. Also, the exact proportions would depend on the individual amounts of green and brown in your eyes.:-D
  • saltlakecitywestsider
    saltlakecitywestsider Posts: 17 Member
    I think the Blood Type Diet is bunk. But then again, I'm a type A who likes everything and does not want to become a vegan or even a vegetarian.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    For anyone who, because Dr. Oz is a surgeon, still want to argue he must know what of he speaks, I have two words for you: Ben Carson.

Consider: "My own personal theory is that Joseph built the pyramids to store grain. Now all the archaeologists think that they were made for the pharaohs’ graves. But, you know, it would have to be something awfully big if you stop and think about it. And I don’t think it’d just disappear over the course of time to store that much grain."

Your example lacks logic. Carson has never claimed to be an expert on human history, he was speaking from his faith. I'd of had no problem letting him operate on my brain when he was a practicing surgeon. I'd also listen carefully if he spoke on other medical issues.

I don't know what happened to Oz, he seemed to give solid advice early in his TV career.