"You're tall. You don't want to get too skinny."

happyheart15
happyheart15 Posts: 383 Member
edited July 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Have any other tall women been told that since you're tall, you shouldn't try for a lower weight? I'm 5'9, and I've been told that I "shouldn't lose too much weight" or should "stop at a size 12" and that I "shouldn't get too skinny" since I'm so tall. But I don't see what's wrong with wanting to be around 150 or size 6. I don't think that's "too skinny" at all. Just because I'm tall, I have to stay slightly chubby? It's not like I'm trying to be 110 pounds or a size 0. But I think a size 6 is pretty reasonable. I want to be healthy, fit, strong, and slim, and be in the single digits in clothing sizes for the first time in my adult life. Well honestly, I wasn't even in the single digits in middle school. I see no reason to stop at a higher size.

Can any other tall women relate?

Replies

• pandam00n
    pandam00n Posts: 11 Member
    I've had a friend in the past who said the same things to me; I'm almost 5'8". I'm sure when my friend said it it wasn't intending to be discouraging; however, it's frustrating when you are trying to make positive changes for yourself and your body that others seem to attempt to slow you before you've really begun!

Do what's right for you and your body! Exercise, eat healthy, and don't worry about naysayers - once they see that you're happy and that you're not dropping to unhealthy weights, they will see they were wrong :)
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Yes, yes, yes. I'm 5'8" but still when I hit 150 (in the past...) people started telling me to stop :o
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    I think your goals are perfectly reasonable. I haven't had too many people comment negatively on my goals or weight (my dad is the only one), but I don't share them with many.
  • happyheart15
    happyheart15 Posts: 383 Member
    Thank you everyone!
  • gerla_k
    gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
    Haters... Don't listen to them