Last meal?

Chrisick
Chrisick Posts: 14 Member
As someone who's Very Unwell™ and not getting better, I've come to the realization that I haven't been able to eat anything I actually like in about a half a year—and certain selective favorites for about seven years. I'm at the point were my body is starving, I can hardly stomach water some days, and there is very little that can be done at this point. That being said, i'm sick of grieving for myself. I want to eat one last meal—one last delicious thing, regardless of how sick it will make me.

What do you suggest?

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Your profile says you are in Portland ME. I'd say a seafood casserole of scallops and lobster but that's just me. I hope your situation isn't as dire as it seems. Best wishes.
  • thiosulfate
    thiosulfate Posts: 262 Member
    edited July 2017
    Therapy & medication/doctors
  • Chrisick
    edited July 2017
    Therapy & medication/doctors
    Hilarious that you assume i'm somehow simply not trying to get better. Why don't you sit down while I explain my hormone-excreting brain tumor and all the reasons why the healthcare system has failed me.

• Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Call someone in your family right now, or a friend. There are way too many rude people here.
  • Chrisick
    Call someone in your family right now, or a friend. There are way too many rude people here.

I suppose so. Maybe I can convince them to smuggle me sushi.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    If I were you, I would choose my favorite foods. For me, that would be steak and shrimp, onion rings, and a baked potato with cheese, sour cream, butter, and bacon with a big bowl of chocolate ice cream and oreos for dessert.
  • Chrisick
    If I were you, I would choose my favorite foods. For me, that would be steak and shrimp, onion rings, and a baked potato with cheese, sour cream, butter, and bacon with a big bowl of chocolate ice cream and oreos for dessert.

There's just so many to choose from, i'm sort of stuck.
    Your's sounds like such a beautifully delicious thing. :smiley: (especially ice cream and Oreos!)
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,585 Member
    I'm really sorry to hear about your tumor.

For me, I would go for all the foods I went cold turkey on eating because the calories/sodium were just way too high for me to justify and got me to where I had to lose weight when the I didn't know the words "portion control" existed. Those would be Tony Roma's baby back ribs with carolina honey sauce, a full medium cheese pizza from this place called Ameci's, ribs from a chinese restaurant along with either chicken fried rice or some kind of lo mein dish. Or, hell, even both. Ummmmm, this oreo cheesecake that I *have* had since losing weight but it's just so friggen good, I'd eat a whole piece by myself and not share it. :)
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    edited July 2017

Mine would be similar, but swap the shrimp for some lobster/scallops and for dessert some warm from the oven chocolate chip cookies and a big glass of ice cold milk.
  • SiegfriedXXL
    SiegfriedXXL Posts: 219 Member
    edited July 2017
    All of the Mexican food. Tacos, nachos, rice, beans, warm tortillas with butter, a nice ceviche, which, incidentally would be glorious made with the seafood in your neck of the woods. All finished with a decadent cream puff drizzled with chocolate ganache.

Truly, whatever will give you some pleasure and some peace.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    There is so much good food but I think I would choose steak, sauteed mushrooms, blue cheese, baked potato with butter and sour cream and a chocolate cake.
  • Riskay123
    Riskay123 Posts: 159 Member
    Whatever the heck you want. I think I would choose garlic prawns with crusty bread to dunk in the garlic oil, followed by lasagne then some sort of berry crumble with ice cream and cream.

Hugs to you at this time.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    If I had time and was able, i would fly to England and go to the fat duck. (ideally I'd get a round the world ticket and stop at other countries along the way and enjoy their cultural delicacies - not necessarily fancy, just the best, most recommended food)
  • phaliamfp
    phaliamfp Posts: 31 Member
    Mmm, a really good deep dish pizza. My moms strawberry shortcake. Biscuits and sausage gravy. Lasagna with fresh garlic bread. I'm hungry now!
  • Chrisick
    Why just one?

At this point, if you are cachectic and have reached the point where you are having difficulty keeping oral food down, eat what you can of what you want. If vomiting/regurg are a complicating problem and current antiemetics aren't working, ask was other options exist. Quality of life, matters. And sometimes that means eating what you can, while you can.

If I had a terminal diagnosis, the last thing I would be doing is worrying what I shove into my pie hole. Condolences; I am sorry Maine politicians were too ignorant and stupid to catch up to the 21st century and pass the death with dignity act for your state in May. D:

I still have dreams of the lobster roll I had that came from somewhere in Bar Harbor. That may be a good place to start if you aren't lobster-averse from living there?

It's exactly as you say, I just... I guess I miss the taste of food? Anything I attempt to eat orally is either immediately followed by some medication or another, or immediately voided. :neutral: I don't even get to enjoy the taste of anything I attempt to eat, for the most part. So I wanted to try, at least once more, to actually enjoy the flavor of something. Even for a short while.

(And it's ridiculous that Maine can't budge forward even an inch on that topic. I almost wish I had scampered up to Canada when I could still move about.)

I'm very much liking everyone's ideas, it's great to see what others think of for that 'this is the best food and I want to eat it till the end' sort of thing.

The Bar Harbor lobster rolls are honestly some of the best I've ever had, I'll admit. I'm going to see what my family can sneak in. XD hopefully without getting into too much trouble.
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    In order to get the tastes I miss I would consider chewing the taste out of the food and then throwing away the solids. Why not?