Struggling to eat enough protein.

mandie_dunning
mandie_dunning Posts: 8 Member
I'm working on the principle of 30% each of protein and carbs and 40% fat as advised by a PT. Today I still need 49g of protein and 4G fat but I am slightly over my carbs

Replies

• anaxmann
    anaxmann Posts: 103 Member
    If you make your diary public, we might be able to help you a bit more. Try a can of tuna or chicken, they are mostly protein. Shrimp is also about 90% protein. Remember you don't have to perfectly meet your gram/percentage goals every single day and that changing the way you eat doesn't typically happen in a day.
  • mandie_dunning
    Pre log? Do you mean plan ahead? How do I make my diary public?

Thanks
  • mandie_dunning
    Just found out how to make it public
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Plan your protein first - I do 140g a day but it's spread out; chicken, shrimp, whole milk (fairlife), Greek yogurt (other higher protein - siyyi or similar)
  • Alltreesgrow
    Alltreesgrow Posts: 8 Member
    I prefer to preplan with the objective of achieving my protein goal first, then fats, and then finesse to keep within calory and carb limits. Looking over several days makes it easier to do the shopping. Chicken, tuna, mackeral are the main foods I tweak when finessing.
  • iamomx2
    iamomx2 Posts: 21 Member
    Cottage cheese works for me. . .any meal.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Pre log? Do you mean plan ahead? How do I make my diary public?

Thanks

Yes. I usually plan my following day out so I can see what my macros will look like. I can make adjustments based on what I have available. It's also great to plan around something you've been craving like a burger or some pizza. Log that and then fill in the rest of your day around it. Keeps me sane and I can enjoy ALLLL the food.
  • mandie_dunning
    Oh I forgot about cottage cheese. I need to shop! Today and yesterday were better. Macros are spot on at the moment. Thanks everyone for the tips.
  • pandab76
    pandab76 Posts: 1 Member
    Just found out how to make it public

How? ☺️
  • mandie_dunning
    In Settings then Sharing & Privacy
  • MrsLannister
    MrsLannister Posts: 347 Member
    You might try supplementing your protein shake with some brown rice protein. It's fairly cheap. You can add about 13 grams of protein for a little less than 60 calories. It is a bit grainy, though. https://www.amazon.com/Organic-Certified-Available-Spectrum-Ultra-fine/dp/B01JSORWCC
  • Ainevethe
    Ainevethe Posts: 209 Member
    You might try supplementing your protein shake with some brown rice protein. It's fairly cheap. You can add about 13 grams of protein for a little less than 60 calories. It is a bit grainy, though. https://www.amazon.com/Organic-Certified-Available-Spectrum-Ultra-fine/dp/B01JSORWCC

I don't use that brand, so can't comment on it specifically, but I second the brown rice protein recommendation. I'm plant based so always looking to boost my protein. I use the North Coast Naturals brown rice protein powder personally (first one I tried actually) and I use it for everything. Smoothies (yes, slightly gritty, less noticeable if you also use a frozen banana) but it is AMAZING in baking. I add to muffins, pancakes etc for an easy protein bump (I don't taste it in baking! though I like it in smoothies too. Mine has no taste <just a bit of texture, slight> so it goes with many flavours.)

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    crazyravr wrote: »
    I'm working on the principle of 30% each of protein and carbs and 40% fat as advised by a PT. Today I still need 49g of protein and 4G fat but I am slightly over my carbs

Bake a cheesecake :)

+1 to this. I have protein cheesecake just about every night for dessert.

• Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    +1 to prelogging. Play around in the food diary with different foods until you find a day's menu that hits your macros. Then try it out and see how you feel, keep tweaking as necessary. I've been hitting roughly 190-200g of protein per day on 1800 calories. You might find you need to supplement with a protein powder depending on your calorie requirements.