Eating well under callary goal?

Hi there,

So, while logging food today, I clocked in at 1100 callaries just about. My goal is 2000. THe problem is, I'm full and don't really want to eat more food, but I'm wondering if by just leaving my food alone if I'm still ok, or if I should force myself to eat something smaller and high callary later, like peanut butter on a piece of bread or something, just so I'm not so far under.

I've not eaten much today in preparation for tonight. I honestly forgot! I had a protene shake for about 165 callaries, worked out and burned 200, ate a borito and a churro for 1200. After all my arronds and steps being factered in, I'm down to just over 1100. I don't want to send myself into "oh gosh I'm starving," mode because the goal is weight loss, but after eating that giant burrito and churro with the fiancé tonight, i'm honestly not really hungry.

Oh, I forgot to add, I had my first ever coke zero (I much prefer a pepsi, but it works to kill the soda craving for less callaries, so I'll stick with it), and while I've done some research on the soda, it was inconclusive -- I've found some that say it's just as bad as a soda, and I've found other things that say it's better. With that I'm opting for the "don't drink a two leter of it a day" mentality, but have one a day or every now and again.

I throw this in because, while MFP doesn't say it helps, it doesn't say it hinders either, and that callary goal is a bit low. I don't have premium just yet so I'm not sure how my neutrition is looking, but, I'm not willing to overwhelm myself -- one step at a time -- so I guess back to my original question: will I be ok after the day if I just don't eat anymore, even if my calary goal is less than it should be by a large margin?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    An occasional day being way under your goal is fine. If it becomes a regular thing, though, then you do need to work on eating more. A higher deficit means more weight loss (not "starvation mode", as that's not a thing), but it also means more muscle loss and other health risks.

I have 1-2 cans of Diet Dr Pepper a day with no consequences. There are fewer than five calories in a can of diet soda, so it won't do anything other than quench your thirst.
  • tjsquires
    tjsquires Posts: 9 Member
    malibu927 wrote: »
    An occasional day being way under your goal is fine. If it becomes a regular thing, though, then you do need to work on eating more. A higher deficit means more weight loss (not "starvation mode", as that's not a thing), but it also means more muscle loss and other health risks.

I have 1-2 cans of Diet Dr Pepper a day with no consequences. There are fewer than five calories in a can of diet soda, so it won't do anything other than quench your thirst.

Thanks a lot! :).
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited July 2017
    The weekend is coming up. I vote to save those extra calories for then. Surely, something tasty you'd really like to have will present itself.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    tjsquires wrote: »
    Hi there,

So, while logging food today, I clocked in at 1100 callaries just about. My goal is 2000. THe problem is, I'm full and don't really want to eat more food, but I'm wondering if by just leaving my food alone if I'm still ok, or if I should force myself to eat something smaller and high callary later, like peanut butter on a piece of bread or something, just so I'm not so far under.

I've not eaten much today in preparation for tonight. I honestly forgot! I had a protene shake for about 165 callaries, worked out and burned 200, ate a borito and a churro for 1200. After all my arronds and steps being factered in, I'm down to just over 1100. I don't want to send myself into "oh gosh I'm starving," mode because the goal is weight loss, but after eating that giant burrito and churro with the fiancé tonight, i'm honestly not really hungry.

Oh, I forgot to add, I had my first ever coke zero (I much prefer a pepsi, but it works to kill the soda craving for less callaries, so I'll stick with it), and while I've done some research on the soda, it was inconclusive -- I've found some that say it's just as bad as a soda, and I've found other things that say it's better. With that I'm opting for the "don't drink a two leter of it a day" mentality, but have one a day or every now and again.

I throw this in because, while MFP doesn't say it helps, it doesn't say it hinders either, and that callary goal is a bit low. I don't have premium just yet so I'm not sure how my neutrition is looking, but, I'm not willing to overwhelm myself -- one step at a time -- so I guess back to my original question: will I be ok after the day if I just don't eat anymore, even if my calary goal is less than it should be by a large margin?

You can see nutrition without the paid version. On the Android app, you just scroll to the bottom of your diary and hit "nutrition."
  • evergreenlake
    evergreenlake Posts: 73 Member
    Based on your lifestyle and all the factors you entered into MFP, I would say try to get closer to your calorie goal, but if only eating around 1100 calories is occasional, I don't think you'll suffer from it. I do the same sometimes.
    Maybe look up what healthy foods are higher in calories that will help you reach your macros etc. and while I sometimes force myself to have a little something that's high in protein even when I'm full, it's up to you.
    I notice having a good breakfast starts things off right for me :)
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Eat as close to your goal as possible.

Maybe start with more food earlier in the day.
  • ActionAnnieJXN
    ActionAnnieJXN Posts: 116 Member
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    callary

I think this caused a brain bleed in my head.

I was trying hard to make it Calgary, and then I read further and saw the painful truth.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    You mention both a workout and steps for the day being accounted for. Just make sure that you aren't double counting anything. If you're using a fit-bit, I believe it already accounts for the exercise (unless you take it off ... also depends on what kind of exercise you're doing). I just bring this up to mention that you may be closer to your calorie goal than you think - you don't want that to end up sabotaging you later on, so it's worth checking on.

Aside from that, if you're only under your calorie goal once in a while, it's probably okay. Don't do it on a regular basis or you might burn out quickly. You'll likely find that you wake up very hungry, though :wink:

(As far as the Coke Zero, a 0 calorie beverage isn't going to change your weight loss, as long as you are accounting for everything else, too. There are a bunch of threads on this topic, especially debating it!)
  • rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    mathjulz wrote: »
    You mention both a workout and steps for the day being accounted for. Just make sure that you aren't double counting anything. If you're using a fit-bit, I believe it already accounts for the exercise (unless you take it off ... also depends on what kind of exercise you're doing). I just bring this up to mention that you may be closer to your calorie goal than you think - you don't want that to end up sabotaging you later on, so it's worth checking on.

Aside from that, if you're only under your calorie goal once in a while, it's probably okay. Don't do it on a regular basis or you might burn out quickly. You'll likely find that you wake up very hungry, though :wink:

(As far as the Coke Zero, a 0 calorie beverage isn't going to change your weight loss, as long as you are accounting for everything else, too. There are a bunch of threads on this topic, especially debating it!)

This.
    And of your activity level is already logged in the app why do you have to put down how many steps you took?
    Of you log an excessive imho it should be explicitly and exercise and not part of your everyday routine.
    As for the calories; don't you like chocolate?