• whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Great news!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Very cool. 28 pounds is a life changer.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,261 Member
    just a suggestion, we have a nutribullit & make our own. You can put what ever you like in it. We started by accident when hubby had all his upper teeth pulled so he drank all his meals from it. He used almond milk, yogurt flax seed, oatmeal,protein powder, fruit & veggies. for change of pace he put in what ever I made for dinner & added almond milk. He lost all his weight & got off insulin. He got his dentures 7 months ago & didn't gain anything back. we both make a smoothie once a day
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    I think the plan that helps you learn to eat differently will help you most in the long run. Personally, I don't care for Slimfast, but I do have a protein shake for breakfast (that I make in my blender) and another green smoothie later in the day as a snack because of taste and convenience and nutrients. This is for weekdays, when I'm working and my schedule gets hectic. The shakes are portable and lets me have healthy, yummy food in reach so I don't grab something else out of convenience or starvation.

You don't have to use "micoewavable" pre-made foods to microwave your food. My work lunches consist of chicken or fish, veggies, sometimes potatoes or beans (or both), or rice or quinoa. All thrown in a pyrex dish and microwaved. Just finished "second lunch" and it was a cod fillet, green beans and a little sweet potato. "First lunch" was broccoli, chicken and a little white potato. My freezer is stocked and my refrigerator is virtually empty. I throw the pyrex on my food scale and "tare" it in between adding the ingredients. Easy-peasy!

You do you. It may just a little trial and error to find the foods that work best.

My cooking twin!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,925 Member
    Just popped in to say I have now lost 28lbs and able to move much better. :)

Oh that's really good OP :)

I'm sure your arthritis will be much more manageable at a healthier weight :)

• cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    So glad you are feeling better. Hang in there and maybe you will start feeling like cooking a few meals here and there. I know it's hard when you are cooking for one. Some people cook one day a week or even once a month and freeze. Maybe you and some friends could do a co-op cooking day and share the results? Anyway congrats on the great loss!
  • EmPersson
    EmPersson Posts: 768 Member
    I know this post is from a few months ago, but I just saw it for the first time. I just did 8 weeks on the Slim Fast diet. I knew it was simply a pre-packaged calorie restricted meal for me that I didn't have to plan/prep/think about. I used the powder and mixed it with cashew milk and it was so delicious that my husband even started drinking it (he'd do a double portion for breakfast). I kept some shelf stable pre-made bottles for some grab and go times that I needed them, and my husband had one last week when he was running late for work. He told me that night how absolutely gross it was! :smiley:

I didn't stick with the plan super well on the weekends, but stuck with it during the weeks, and in 8 weeks I lost about 15lbs. So, I say it worked for me! The plan also calls for 3 100 calorie snacks and a sensible 500-ish calorie dinner. Instead of the suggested Slim Fast 100 calorie snacks (they were all sweet and I prefer salty), I went to Costco and bought a giant box of 100 calorie packs of Pringles, and individual packs of Pirates Booty. I munched on those most days, plus a veggie or fresh fruit snack. I was never hungry on the diet. I also planned/prepped myself mentally to come off of the diet and to maintain, which I've done successfully for about 3 weeks so far. I'm starting to plan my "calorie restricted diet phase 2" where I will try to eat real foods, but at the Slim Fast calorie deficit, to keep losing the last 10-15lbs. But, that requires much more thought and planning.

Anyway, all that to say that Slim Fast is great, in my opinion! And even better with cashew milk! If you want simple and nutritious, go for it! And try to have enjoyable low cal snacks handy that you don't have to think/worry about, either. I hope it's worked well for you!
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    Bless your hearts and thank you all so much for your interest and encouragement. I must confess that because I'm old & rather lazy, my meal is usually a Weight Watcher frozen meal & popped into the microwave. I do eat fruit as snacks. Of late, because SF meal replacement bars are rather pricey, I have been buying Superdrug Slenderplan meal replacement bars, the chocolate orange is my favourite. An added bonus is the points on my loyalty card. :smile: Thank you again and may I wish you all, every success whatever your plan.
  • ChristinaaH84
    ChristinaaH84 Posts: 27 Member
    I am old and arthritic plus lazy so can't be bothered to prepare and cook meals - or wash up after a meal. So. . . . I am about to start a Slimfast diet.

Comments and experiences please..... I am here to be shot at. :)
    I am old and arthritic plus lazy so can't be bothered to prepare and cook meals - or wash up after a meal. So. . . . I am about to start a Slimfast diet.

I

I often drink a slimfast for breakfast and have had success in the past with the slimfast diet. It works as long as you follow through with it. Good luck!!!
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited July 2017
    There are a lot of new meal replacement shakes out there these days, you should check them out if you'd like to change up your routine!

A popular one is called "Soylent" - apparently their flavours are really good. You can buy the bagged powder for cheap, or the single-drink containers for more money.

https://www.soylent.com/
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    I just looked up Soylent. 400 calories? I'd rather eat FOOD
  • jgnatca
    Soylent is kind of like dog kibble for people. It's scientifically balanced.
  • MissyCHF
    I think Soylen is a US product and I'm a Brit but thank you for the suggestion. I love the idea of dog kibble. :smiley:
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    I just looked up Soylent. 400 calories? I'd rather eat FOOD

Yes, it's a MEAL REPLACEMENT drink. It has balanced macros, nutrients and calories to reflect a good-sized meal. They're a great option for people with sensory issues (whether nauseous from pregnancy or illness, in-need of a recovery beverage after dental work or surgery, or those who simply have textural issues) or people who are simply too busy to prepare their own meals and want something nutritionally hearty.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Heck, at 83 do whatever you want. You don't even have to worry about keeping to a sustainable plan. Every day is a packaged gift all on its own.

If budget is an issue you could contact a bunch of nutritional shake companies and ask for a free trial pack.

Finally, someone made the only point that really matters. She's 83 for crying out loud.

Carpe Diem!
  • MissyCHF
    Thank you jgnatca & ladyhusker, I am now 84 and enjoying your company - when I remember :wink: Besides useless hips I also have Tinnitus but I'm lucky it's musical, anything from a National Anthem, mine, yours, the French - to Jazz, etc. Quite enjoyable. Enjoy your day. :smiley:
  • jgnatca
    :)