Why is there something as minimal blood pressure by age?

saintor1
saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
edited July 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
BLOOD-PRESSURE-CHART-BY-AGE.jpg

At 50 I should have a minimum of 116/81, normal is 129/85.

I find this insane.

I have 114/72 and expect to return to 110/70 after losing the 15 pounds I gained in the last 3 years.

Africans and Asians in good health and small frames/weight stays with the same blood pressure all this adulthood.

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    edited July 2017
    Where is this from? Who came up with those numbers? Anyone can make up a chart and post it on FB.
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    I agree. That chart is woo.
  • Alisonswim46
    Alisonswim46 Posts: 208 Member
    Facebook science.
  • saintor1
    This chart is ONLY reported via FB. If you make a search of BP by age, you find many medical sites reporting the same numbers.
  • kimny72
    I can't find any reputable sites with similar info, just click-bait style sites like etoolsage.com and idealbloodpressure.com.

As to the question in your title, if you don't naturally have low blood pressure, pressure below a certain level can be a sign that something is wrong. I have no idea what that level is though. My BP is normally around 90/60 and no doctor has been concerned.
  • saintor1
    I don't know them but medindia.net doesn't strike me as a click-bait style site.

http://www.medindia.net/patients/calculators/bp_chartresult1.asp
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited July 2017
    There are stats to define hypotension. That said, unless you're having negative symptoms it's generally not considered a problem.

ETA: if you are checked out by a medic/nurse/doc for a different issue and they are unaware you are typically hypotensive, they may be concerned about it.
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    I'm 43. Mine is usually about 100/60. 140/90 at peak exertion. My cardiologist thinks thinks I'm spectacularly healthy.
  • saintor1
    Those min - max figures appear to me not as targets, but rather as a representation of the current condition in the population, by age. Probably misleading.
  • kimny72
    saintor1 wrote: »
    I don't know them but medindia.net doesn't strike me as a click-bait style site.

http://www.medindia.net/patients/calculators/bp_chartresult1.asp

OK, well that didn't come up in the first two pages of my Google search :)

There are dangers to developing low BP if it is not normal for you and it comes with other symptoms. But it's fine to normally have numbers below that min. Whether or not normal BP is that variable by age, I've never heard that. I did see some articles questioning whether it's necessary to treat elderly people whose BP is slightly high.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    nokanjaijo wrote: »
    I'm 43. Mine is usually about 100/60. 140/90 at peak exertion. My cardiologist thinks thinks I'm spectacularly healthy.
    Mine's also lower than the chart says it should be, and my doctor is really happy about it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    OP, mine's about what yours is now, I'm 61, and all my doctors are happy. You should ask your doctor medical questions, not us random people (or charts) on the internet, but I strongly suspect you're Just Fine.
  • saintor1
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    You should ask your doctor medical questions, not us random people (or charts) on the internet, but I strongly suspect you're Just Fine.

I know that I am fine. And you think that I will schedule an appointment just to ask a question? I don't have a doctor, BTW.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,481 Member
    susanp57 wrote: »
    After 64 you just die.

Heeelp I am going to die in 34 days. :'( h.
  • poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 526 Member
    No worries, as of Wednesday it appears I've been dead for two years now! :p
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    According to this chart, I've apparently been dead since around age 14-19. In all seriousness, I've had multiple doctors throughout my life and a 70/40 number about a year ago was the only time any have expressed concern.
  • saintor1
    103/68 this morning. Next step is probably coma. o:)
  • saintor1
    edited July 2017
    Interesting video (48m - long) although I don't agree with him - "BP needs to change because of age". It is about the evolution of BP recommendations changes in the last 20 years according to JNC6, 7 and 8, now MUCH more permissive than before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9BZVrfRqGg
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    susanp57 wrote: »
    After 64 you just die.

Heeelp I am going to die in 34 days. :'( h.

I've got 2 years and one day.