How to stop eating out of boredom?

Zeii
Zeii Posts: 89 Member
How do you train yourself to stop eating out of boredom?

I just had dinner, I'm not hungry, but I'm bored with nothing to do tonight so of course all I can think about is food! What I could eat, where I could take a drive to get a treat, etc. Just thinking about food is making me salivate.

I need a hobby.

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Zeii wrote: »
    I need a hobby.

You pretty much answered your own question :) Colouring is a favourite of mine (I have soooo many of those adult colouring books and sheets around my house), so are various crafts. Sometimes depending on how late it is I'll just haul myself to bed and sleep through it. Water can sometimes help also, I've found that urge to completely disappear when I've got a tummy full of water.

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Yep. A hobby that involves use of your hands.. Bonus points if it is something you don't want to get dirty with food or makes your hands dirty so you can't snack while doing it.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Ya find something to do. Read a book, go for a walk, learn a new skill. All fun things
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Walking helps me.

Something to keep the mouth busy? Diet soda, black coffee, water, hard candies (if you can spare the calories. I personally do not reccommend sugar free hard candies.), gum...
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    I need a hobby.

You pretty much answered your own question :) Colouring is a favourite of mine (I have soooo many of those adult colouring books and sheets around my house), so are various crafts. Sometimes depending on how late it is I'll just haul myself to bed and sleep through it. Water can sometimes help also, I've found that urge to completely disappear when I've got a tummy full of water.

I was going to suggest finding a hobby too.... I'm perfectly fine as long as I'm busy!

You've just reminded me that I have a pile of gorgeous colouring books I haven't touched in months due to studying. I'm getting them out this afternoon!
  • womanisadevil
    womanisadevil Posts: 52 Member
    I started knitting to keep busy before bed so I wouldn't want all the foods.
    That was usually when I'd binge.

Also I cook, weigh, and measure everything I'll eat for the day and log it soon as I wake up or before I go to bed the night before.
    That way I know only to eat the food I have put in place for myself and not extras.
    Helps me to stay in the routine.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

I just had dinner, I'm not hungry, but I'm bored with nothing to do tonight so of course all I can think about is food! What I could eat, where I could take a drive to get a treat, etc. Just thinking about food is making me salivate.

I need a hobby.

So get a hobby.

Life is too short to sit there bored....
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Seems like you answered your own question.
  • raeleigh26
    raeleigh26 Posts: 15 Member
    Definitely find something to do! I find that taking walks and doing activities that I really enjoy helps me keep my mind off food. Also, make sure you are drinking enough water.
  • chels5988
    chels5988 Posts: 23 Member
    I crochet. Sometimes its a mindless and easy project while i watch netflix. If im really having a hard time forgetting about the snack i want i get on youtube and find a difficult crochet pattern and learn it. Requires more concentration and gets my mind thinking of something else. Plus i learn a new skill.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Crochet, needlework, colouring, puzzle books, jigsaws, all things that can be done inside with minimum effort, most can also be done while working through a to do list of movies and tv. I could spend days on on PS4, can't lie. If I retired tomorrow I'd have no trouble filling my hours :smile:
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Take a walk
    Paint your nails
    Knit or sew something
    Write or draw something
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    I knit or quilt or sew garments, all after I've washed my hands. Since I don't want to get the projects dirty, I don't snack while I'm doing them. I also call a friend to take an evening walk with me, as a visit engages my mind and gets me out of thinking about food. I recently got into baking (which sounds dangerous!) and give away those things, or have a small piece of the pie I just made (again, with friends or family). I log the dessert before I make the pie so I have the calories left that day to eat one piece. It takes a good long while for me to make a crust, put it in the pie plate, prepare the fruit, put it over the crust, and bake it. That's 2 hours or so of non-boredom. And my friends and family love getting cakes and pies.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    I need a hobby.

I bought a coloring book too. It's relaxing and a good way to keep your mind and hands occupied. Find something you like to do. I've done crochet. I read. Go for a walk.

What I will say however is...I've always been a nighttime snacker. Even now of any time of day is going to do me in it's going to be the after dinner hours. Now I plan my calories around it so I can have dinner and then do my grazing until bedtime. If all else fails you may want to do this.

• Creativityfailure
    Creativityfailure Posts: 96 Member
    I used to have this problem when I watched television; I would eat just to be doing something with my hands. I decided to curb it by buying a box of legos and building things while I watched. Now I also play games on my phone or tablet while I watch TV, and I also don't really watch much TV anymore so that helps too.

My recommendation would be to simply find something that takes mental focus and that uses your hands and do that instead of being bored. It's good to have a lot of hobbies to choose from, so when you're bored with one or not in the mood for it, you can choose something else.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Go for a walk. Doesn't have to be fast or hard, just walk. 30 minutes. It'll give you something to do, prevent you from snacking, and help you on your body transformation journey in the long run.
  • GoRun2
    GoRun2 Posts: 448 Member
    brush your teeth, extra well. Do the flossing thing really well, do your electric toothbrush twice (4 minutes). Your dental hygienist will love you. This takes 5 to 10 minutes. You will have distracted yourself from snacking and really after you have brushed your teeth you may not want to get them "dirty" again for the rest of the evening.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member

I need a hobby.

Move away from the food and go do something else.