Wearing Cologne/Perfume at the gym

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Today I was walking through a botanical garden in Hawaii (on a vacation) with the smell of tropical flowers drifting in the air, the smell was amazing. Then some dude walked by drenched in cologne, I could not proceed any further until he was way out of smelling range. I may have lost my sense of smell after that. Lol
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    No. So obnoxious. It even gets into the machines. :/
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    edited July 2017
    lorrpb wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Definitely not. It is even worse if you are working out in a pool. The perfume/cologne tends to sit on top of the chlorine fumes in the air and intensifies.

No, most states require a cleansing soap shower before entering pool or hot tub.

Those of us not in america have different rules

In th uk we have no such rules. Some places put a shower close to the pool entrance and ask you to walk under it but 1. A quick splash of water does bubkiss and 2. They dont enforce it as law doesnt require them to
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    I really hate it. So many women wear a ton at the gym. Sometimes I have to leave a machine if they get on the one next to me because I can't breathe.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    This happened to me for the first time on the treadmill last week. Patchouli. I'm fine with the smell normally, but it really made it hard to breath normally.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Please no.

Once I was running on a treadmill and an Axe Bro got on the one next to me... I had to pull the collar of my shirt up over my nose so that I could breathe--and yes, I would rather smell my own BO than someone else's (bad) cologne!
  • beamin41
    beamin41 Posts: 38 Member
    Today I was walking through a botanical garden in Hawaii (on a vacation) with the smell of tropical flowers drifting in the air, the smell was amazing. Then some dude walked by drenched in cologne, I could not proceed any further until he was way out of smelling range. I may have lost my sense of smell after that. Lol

Lmaooooo
  • dudasd1973
    dudasd1973 Posts: 275 Member
    Let's not forget on walking/running trails. Nothing like running past somebody bathed in the stuff and gagging...
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Definitely not. It is even worse if you are working out in a pool. The perfume/cologne tends to sit on top of the chlorine fumes in the air and intensifies.

No, most states require a cleansing soap shower before entering pool or hot tub.

Sadly some people wear so much aftershave/perfume, that a soap shower has no effect, I've nearly choked a number of times on old lady perfume in the pool I used to swim in (you know the kind - Yardley English Lavender or some *kitten*) :angry:
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    I've literally never considered this, but maybe I should. I'm one of those people with a full face of makeup and perfume on at the gym, because I go right after work, and I'm not going to shower before I workout. Are you guys talking about people who spray right before they work out or in general?! I have no idea if my perfume is still present to any annoying degree after 10 hours . . . .?
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    DamieBird wrote: »
    I've literally never considered this, but maybe I should. I'm one of those people with a full face of makeup and perfume on at the gym, because I go right after work, and I'm not going to shower before I workout. Are you guys talking about people who spray right before they work out or in general?! I have no idea if my perfume is still present to any annoying degree after 10 hours . . . .?

If it's been on you all day, it might not be a problem. However, I used to get off of work at the same time as this 80+ year old security guard, and his cologne was so bad that I'd still smell like him after getting off the employee shuttle and into my car.

So, I guess the answer is "it depends." Try asking a trusted friend at the end of the day if it's still strong. If you wear the same fragrance all the time, you might not smell it like you used to.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited July 2017
    sunsweet77 wrote: »
    No fragrance and please be clean before you go :). I can't stand smelling someone's dinner, perfume or un-showered body or after work all day smell....sweat just makes it worse. Those sprays don't mask anything either.

Sorry, I'm not showering between work and the gym.

I don't even really see the big deal of someone smelling like BO at the gym. Smells like work to me. Definitely more tolerable than some rank-*kitten* perfume.

I work in an employee fitness center for a company of 5,000+. We have many departments where people handle trash, cook, landscape, fix cars, pump gas, work around smokers. I'd much rather smell them and their occupations, personally.
  • BigMamaLynsey
    BigMamaLynsey Posts: 390 Member
    I worked in a bodybuilding gym years ago and i swear id rather smell mens body spray or perfume over BO, i swear ill never forget the smell of mens BO whilst training, was so bad! I would say yes!