Logging inaccuracies?

Hello, helpful veterans. I need a little guidance on using the app to log foods. I've read a few articles on this, but they often give tips like "Look for the items that have a high number of people who confirmed the entry," etc. When I'm using the app, I can't see the number of people that confirmed. Also, sometimes I'll scan "more" and "more" and never see an item with a green checkmark. I've also seen people say to stay away from using anything marked "generic" or "homemade". But a lot of times, the "generic" entry is the one that seems to make the most sense.

If you're logging food on the fly and there's no way for you to read nutritional info, like someone's homemade meal, can you share some tips or guidance on how to use the app to best guesstimate your intake?

I weigh things at home and enter all the nutritional info so I can have a better idea of what a certain amount of food looks like, so I can guess better, but it's hard to find the correct entry in the app. I also usually over estimate, so I can cover myself.

Any tips?

Thank you

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    Break down the meal by ingredient, using USDA or a major supermarket chain/well known brand. Failing that choose a similar meal from a chain restaurant like TGI Fridays, Olive Garden, etc. Unless you're eating out every day it's not going to be the end of the world if once in a while you're a little out.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    I will usually, when eating someone else's home cooking, look for the highest homemade entry. If I can't find one, I'll try and build it piece by piece. Last ditch effort, a similar meal restaurant style, because I'd rather log too many than not enough.
  • kyubeans
    kyubeans Posts: 135 Member
    Oh, using a similar restaurant meal hadn't occurred to me. Thank you!
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,135 Member
    kyucifer wrote: »
    Hello, helpful veterans. I need a little guidance on using the app to log foods. I've read a few articles on this, but they often give tips like "Look for the items that have a high number of people who confirmed the entry," etc. When I'm using the app, I can't see the number of people that confirmed. Also, sometimes I'll scan "more" and "more" and never see an item with a green checkmark. I've also seen people say to stay away from using anything marked "generic" or "homemade". But a lot of times, the "generic" entry is the one that seems to make the most sense.

If you're logging food on the fly and there's no way for you to read nutritional info, like someone's homemade meal, can you share some tips or guidance on how to use the app to best guesstimate your intake?

I weigh things at home and enter all the nutritional info so I can have a better idea of what a certain amount of food looks like, so I can guess better, but it's hard to find the correct entry in the app. I also usually over estimate, so I can cover myself.

Any tips?

Thank you

I don't bother to log it, I don't add quick calories, and I don't "dissect" the meal components. I just enter a quick note in the Comments section explaining what I ate and where. Problem solved, at least for me.