Running shoes

2»

Replies

• Waddellfitness
    Waddellfitness Posts: 46 Member
    bcalvanese wrote: »
    Check out the Hoka One One Clatons or Cliftons. They are great for road running. Also, Adidas Pure Boost are good as well.

Most companies will let you try there shoes for 30 days and if you are not happy with them you can send them back for a refund.

The Hola One is actually what I been looking at. Have you had experience with them? I hear they run about a half size smaller

I have both. The Clayton's are my favorite of the two. I take 11 or 11 1/2. The Clayton's I can go with 11, but the Clifton 3's I had to go with 11 1/2.

Do you have an REI near you?

they may have them in stock and you can try them on.

I live in Japan in the countryside so I don't have anything near me but a sports store and the staff are clueless about anything but location of products in the store lol
  • Waddellfitness
    Check out the Hoka One One Clatons or Cliftons. They are great for road running. Also, Adidas Pure Boost are good as well.

Most companies will let you try there shoes for 30 days and if you are not happy with them you can send them back for a refund.

The Hola One is actually what I been looking at. Have you had experience with them? I hear they run about a half size smaller

I have both. The Clayton's are my favorite of the two. I take 11 or 11 1/2. The Clayton's I can go with 11, but the Clifton 3's I had to go with 11 1/2.

So do the claytons run true to size? They don't sell the hoka brand here in Japan so I'll have to order them I wear a size 10
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member

So do the claytons run true to size? They don't sell the hoka brand here in Japan so I'll have to order them I wear a size 10

They seem to run truer to size than the cliftons. I recommend ordering them from the hoka one one website. They give you 30 days to return them.
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    Claytons my hubby wears are true to size Cliftons he has to go half a size up.
  • skonger
    skonger Posts: 26 Member
    I've worn Saucony, New Balance which I both liked but I absolutely love my On runners!
    I also have two plates and ten screws in my ankle from an accident a year ago and I'm running again. My ROM is far less then you as well and the On runners are amazing.
    https://www.on-running.com/en-ca/
  • mca90guitar
    mca90guitar Posts: 290 Member
    Asic and socouny is what I usually buy. Last two were socouny and I went with Asics this time. Feel the same to me
  • Waddellfitness
    skonger wrote: »
    I've worn Saucony, New Balance which I both liked but I absolutely love my On runners!
    I also have two plates and ten screws in my ankle from an accident a year ago and I'm running again. My ROM is far less then you as well and the On runners are amazing.

Thank you, most helpful since you are in a similar situation as me. I checked out the On Runners and they look awesome. I think I want to try these out!! Do you use the quick laces or traditional tie laces?
  • Waddellfitness

Also do they run true to size?
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Brooks Dyad 8's are good and stiff for better support. They allow me to run in spite of a big toe that can't bend, a tricky Achilles, and thinning tissue in my heels. Of course, slipping a pair of green Superfeet in them doesn't hurt, either!
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    3lnujjqmi8l1.jpg

Nike Pegasus for me.
    I definitely do NOT have Asics shape feet. Horrendous issues for one heel for me - weirdly not the one with the screw!
    (Both ankles have rearranged tendons as well, the left one has some staples in to fuse some of the smaller joints.)
  • Waddellfitness

Another question lol which model do you have?
  • skonger

Also do they run true to size?

I LOVE the quick laces, they are so handy and feel great on, don't feel tight or sloppy.
    I run a 8 in Saucony and New Balance, same with my On runners as well.
  • skonger
    edited July 2017
    hqtbf6uk4d9d.jpg

I have three pairs of the Cloud and one pair of Cloudflow, I tend use my Cloud ones all the time.
    I did try on the CloudSurfer and found them snug and the soles made me feel like I was tilting forward, hard to explain but I didn't feel stable.
  • kxbrown27
    kxbrown27 Posts: 769 Member
    I use the New Balance 1080 and Asics Nimbus. I like them both but tend to wear the NB more.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    I have the Asics Nimbus in a 10w and usually wear a 9w. I used to have the Cumulus, but the newer model of the Nimbus was more comfortable, so I went with that. Next time I'm definitely going to a running store to see what else might work for me. I was too fat when I bought mine and was embarrassed, but now I'm not as fat and also IDGAF. :)
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited July 2017
    I have to say, I've gone through a couple of pairs of Hokas and won't buy them again. They wear out much too quickly, the extra cushion made it feel like I was having to work harder, and that high stack gave me a problem with stability. Not over/under pronating, but if I ran over a small rock I found it easier to roll my ankle than in other shoes. For me that wasn't such an issue - I'm good at correcting missteps. But it sounds like that'd be an absolute deal breaker for you.

At the moment I'm running in Newtons, but I'm not liking the bar under the ball of my foot. It starts to make my foot ache when I'm 10+ miles in so those are also not something I'll purchase again. However, they are very stable. The soles are quite wide and don't have much side-to-side flex. Makes it easy to have a consistent stride foot strike even when the terrain isn't exactly stable. If I were you, I'd look for a shoe with similar characteristics.
  • Waddellfitness
    hqtbf6uk4d9d.jpg

I have three pairs of the Cloud and one pair of Cloudflow, I tend use my Cloud ones all the time.
    I did try on the CloudSurfer and found them snug and the soles made me feel like I was tilting forward, hard to explain but I didn't feel stable.

Yup you definitely have it worse than me lol I shattered my ankle and most the pieces were too small to affix so they just took them out and the one screw the did put in broke so now I just have half a broken screw in my ankle but I was looking at the clouds and I'm definitely getting them next thank you
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    I tried Hoka's (and another similar brand with a larger platform) - ohh the pain in my calves!

I've been wearing Topo Athletic for the last few years (expect for there higher platform ones) - the Fly-Lite2 and the ST-1 - love them
  • skonger
    [/quote]

Yup you definitely have it worse than me lol I shattered my ankle and most the pieces were too small to affix so they just took them out and the one screw the did put in broke so now I just have half a broken screw in my ankle but I was looking at the clouds and I'm definitely getting them next thank you [/quote]

I had to have a third surgery to dig out the bone fragments they missed and lengthen my Achilles. Now I'm dealing with post traumatic arthritis as well which you may even experience at some point if not already. High energy impact on the ankle are prone to arthritis.

Good luck with the Clouds, I absolutely love them and let me know how they work out for you!
  • Waddellfitness

I had to have a third surgery to dig out the bone fragments they missed and lengthen my Achilles. Now I'm dealing with post traumatic arthritis as well which you may even experience at some point if not already. High energy impact on the ankle are prone to arthritis.

Good luck with the Clouds, I absolutely love them and let me know how they work out for you![/quote]

Yeah they said I will need another surgery to lengthen my Achilles as well. And I've experienced it as my injury was 5 years ago I been dealing with this for a pretty good while lol and as soon as I save up some money I'm getting them and I'll let you know. Pretty excited about them though