• blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Congrats!
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    Welcome to Onederland!!! :)
  • HestiaMoon1
    HestiaMoon1 Posts: 278 Member
    With PSMF a Free Meal is suggested every 2 weeks do you don't go loopy. I had mine on Tuesday.
    Ben & Jerrys Urban Bourbon and Truffle Kerfuffle
    A serving of each!
    I don't mess around when it comes to a free meal.
  • wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    Lol, glad you enjoyed it!
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Nice!
  • HestiaMoon1
    When I weighed in this morning I was looking for a 198 ish number.
    It read 202.4
    Whaaaat?
    That can't be right!
    So I hopped off and then back on.
    Whaaaat?
    Off & on AGAIN
    That's when I realized the "new" battery I put in last week must have been an old one someone put back into the Batteries drawer in our kitchen.
    So no weigh-in this week.
  • HestiaMoon1
    Well, the hard truth is I really was 204.
    As shocking as that is, it backs up both OMAD general rule and Lyle McDonald guideline for women that big calorie deficit AND high activity leads to weight gain.
    One or the other, people when you're obese. Not both!
    I was walking many miles or rowing, even did HIIT on bike one day that week and it made my body think it had to save me.
    This week I'm just doing yoga. On days when I work on the farm and go over 8,000 steps I eat more than the usual low amount.
    Hoping to see good numbers Sunday.
  • wsandy8512
    Hopefully your new plan to back off the exercise works for you. Best to you on your next weigh-in!
  • minigrrll
    minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
    Good luck!!!
  • HestiaMoon1
    The long view shows me with a gain of 4 lbs since beginning trying to do OMAD in mid-April.
    The short view shows a week's loss of about 2 lbs.
    I reset Happy Scale app start date to July 1 because seeing the increase from April hurts psychologically.
    I was really hoping OMAD would be the answer. But I'm seeing the same pattern as with every past attempt. I follow the diet to a T and lose weight slowly for a couple of weeks. Then, if I go up even just 200 cals for a day or two, I gain back all I lost and more.
    Anything over 1000 calories and I gain.
    5' 9 3/4" 54 yrs old female. Large skeleton frame (Seriously, Orthopedic surgeons have exclaimed at how big my bones are)
    I used to weigh 145-150, then 160 was good for about 5 years after last baby. Jagged climb over last 7 years to the high of 204 last Sunday.
    I am not overly active, but I live on a farm in a house that's 4500 sqft so I do cover a fair amount of ground every day just doing chores.
    Oh well, start of a new week. Fresh beginnings.

• wsandy8512
    edited July 2017
    You are not eating enough calories. Is your MFP goal set to slightly active with the amount you want to lose a week? Since you keep coming to the same problem, every time, it certainly wouldn't hurt to try for a week and see what happens. Eat back what you burn because you'll still be in a deficit according to what you have it set for whether .5-2lbs a week. If you don't eat back what you burn, you're depriving yourself.

I'm not telling something I haven't done. I've upped my calories from an average of 1350-over 1600 and I'm losing. Google EM2LW and use their calculator. Entire the information along with lightly active, find your TDEE, set your deficit, and then come back to MFP's homepage>goal>edit and either put in your TDEE or the cut given from that site and go for it. That's what I did and I couldn't be happier :)
  • HestiaMoon1
    I appreciate your trying to help and I'm glad that works for you.
    Not eating enough cals makes 0 physiological or thermodynamic sense.
    My body cannot create more calories.
    I'm using Dr given parameters, not algorithms.
    800-1200 cals MAX high end if I'm extra active, low if I'm not.
  • mikseyniha
    mikseyniha Posts: 442 Member
    You need to eat more calories! It happened with me a week back when my losses had really slowed down. I simply ate almost upto maintenance for 3 days and then jumped back to OMAD. i did gain a few pounds but most of it was water weight. Now my weight has started going down. Learning : eat enough calories and burn a third off! That's why I am no longer doing very low carb.
  • wsandy8512
    Hestia, I remember you saying you gained weight before, any time you went over 1000 calories. I also remember you saying you're under doctor's orders. May I ask, if the doctors orders/guidance do not seem to be working, why are you still listening to him or her? They aren't trained nutritionists or dietitians.

It makes no sense to me that you gain weight on 1200 calories--unless you are eating way more than what you think are. Regardless of bone density, science is science and barring some unfortunate thing in your body like an unknown tumor, you don't gain weight eating less calories than you burn, period.
  • mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    wsandy8512 wrote: »
    Hestia, I remember you saying you gained weight before, any time you went over 1000 calories. I also remember you saying you're under doctor's orders. May I ask, if the doctors orders/guidance do not seem to be working, why are you still listening to him or her? They aren't trained nutritionists or dietitians.

It makes no sense to me that you gain weight on 1200 calories--unless you are eating way more than what you think are. Regardless of bone density, science is science and barring some unfortunate thing in your body like an unknown tumor, you don't gain weight eating less calories than you burn, period.

I agree - unless you have a major (and I mean MAJOR) metabolic disorder, it's not physically possible to gain weight on 1000-1200 calories a day - it sounds like either A: your doctor does not know what they're talking about or B: you're eating more than you think you are. I'm guessing it's the latter. I get into phases where I'm logging but I'm "estimating" and my estimating skills aren't great lmao - maybe just hop back to basics, eat at maintenance for a few days and reset?
  • barbheart
    barbheart Posts: 433 Member
    Hestia, you mention the title of this thread as being "one last time"
    Why dont you focus on... JUST FOR TODAY I WILL...
    -omad
    -walk
    -choose healthier foods
    etc?

JUST FOR TODAY
    Its easy..its only one day!
    ;)
  • HestiaMoon1
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Maybe take a break from your weight loss plan for the time being. Serious re-evaluation of your technique and beliefs associated with weight loss is necessary and you don't sound ready for that right now.

Serious re-evaluation of my techniques and beliefs associated with weight loss?
    How's this for a belief: MFP is full of fat people who don't lose weight following its guidelines. It's full of fat people who follow other diets. It's full of fat people who have been on here for years and have gained and not lost. It's a scam. And now it's Under Armour's scam.
    This whole special section is people not following MFP guidelines. Hell, they aren't even following OMAD guidelines! The most successful ones are FASTING! That's not eating more to weigh less, that's not eating AT ALL.

And to be clear: I am a trained chef. I own and live on an organic farm. I eat 99% whole, healthy foods. To walk my fence line is over 3 miles. My house has 4 levels with 42 steps from basement to attic. I am not sedentary. I am not cheating with crappy food.

My bad attitude comes from doing everything right and still gaining weight. I am not growing a tumor. There are medical reasons someone can keep gaining on what looks like a normal intake of food -- and being postmenopausal is a BIG reason.
  • mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Maybe take a break from your weight loss plan for the time being. Serious re-evaluation of your technique and beliefs associated with weight loss is necessary and you don't sound ready for that right now.

Serious re-evaluation of my techniques and beliefs associated with weight loss?
    How's this for a belief: MFP is full of fat people who don't lose weight following its guidelines. It's full of fat people who follow other diets. It's full of fat people who have been on here for years and have gained and not lost. It's a scam. And now it's Under Armour's scam.
    This whole special section is people not following MFP guidelines. Hell, they aren't even following OMAD guidelines! The most successful ones are FASTING! That's not eating more to weigh less, that's not eating AT ALL.

And to be clear: I am a trained chef. I own and live on an organic farm. I eat 99% whole, healthy foods. To walk my fence line is over 3 miles. My house has 4 levels with 42 steps from basement to attic. I am not sedentary. I am not cheating with crappy food.

My bad attitude comes from doing everything right and still gaining weight. I am not growing a tumor. There are medical reasons someone can keep gaining on what looks like a normal intake of food -- and being postmenopausal is a BIG reason.

Quick question - and I mean absolutely no offense - you seem VERY upset about the idea of fasting which is the main concept associated with OMAD...fasting 22-23 hours a day give or take. Why is it that you're involved in an OMAD group if you're so against it? I'm just curious. That being said, Joe and Brenda immediately come to mind regarding the results - they've both had AMAZING results with little or no extended fasting. I prefer the extended fasting because I want more calories on my eating days, but that's purely personal preference.

Furthermore, you stated more than once relatively recently in THIS thread that you were losing on OMAD and lowering your calories was working for you? I TOTALLY GET being frustrated I guess I'm just trying to nail down why this last post had such a strong overtone to it seemingly (for my interpretation) out of nowhere.

We're here to support you, whichever way you decide to further your health journey. Good luck!