Heat advisory and high heat

amtyrell
amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
Today it will be over 100 and last night the low was 83. I am having trouble getting the motivation to work out. I work outside and after or before work dealing with the heat again well basically how do you deal with needing to exercise and extreme heat.

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    The swimming pool!

I can't handle heat but then again I live in a northern city. I get my run in before dawn and it's pretty cool then.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    I just keep my workouts indoors, at home like I do in the winter. No excuses. Maybe try a Youtube workout or do bodyweight work?

Really missing my outdoor walks and runs this week, but the heat + humidity is just too uncomfortable for me.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    I run at 5AM to beat the heat, we get oppressive heat and humidity at times during the summer (this year all its done is rain..) and the best way to deal with it is slow down & hydrate well.
  • cecekay19
    cecekay19 Posts: 89 Member
    ^^^ This. You have to get up early to beat the heat, and stay hydrated, if you want to run or work out outside. Drink lots of water and have good balanced meals so you don't lose electrolytes. My corner of Florida is in the high 70s by the time I usually run, that's still tolerable to me. I like to be out of the house by 7:30 or so and done by around 8am. That's too late in some places, though, and you may have to run at 5 or 6 to run outdoors.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    I typically go for a run about 5-6am to avoid the heat. On weekends I generally run longer distances and that gets tougher because the heat gets bad mid-morning and I like to get extra sleep on the weekends. So.. I've reduced to one longer run (5k or so) on the weekends, and I'll either get up super early for it on Saturday or Sunday or I'll do it as late as possible Saturday night.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I run first thing in the morning (6 AM or so) and make sure that I'm going into the run adequately hydrated. I also give myself permission to go slower if the heat or humidity is getting to me. I'm not going to make myself sick chasing a PR when it's really hot.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Treadmill.
  • That_Country_Girl82
    That_Country_Girl82 Posts: 122 Member
    I live in the south and it is to hot. I have to wait until like 7:30 or 8p.m. to go out and do anything.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    I run at 5 AM but the humidity is what is killing me. If I have to exercise after sunrise in the summer I get the bike out. The extra breeze seems to help.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    I made a thread about this topic the other day. The advice I got was to start early, go late, suck it up and be hot, do workout videos, or get better at swimming. I'm currently brainstorming fun stuff to do inside since I abhor treadmills and videos. So far I've found roller skating, a trampoline park, and an indoor rock climbing gym. All those things cost money, so I'll probably just do that stuff occasionally. I've been sticking to walking up to the mountains in the morning or swimming in a small lake in town. I'm still trying to talk my husband into getting kayaks.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    When it's too hot for outdoor stuff, but I want something free/cheap, I do workout videos online or ones that I bought from Amazon ($10 Zumba videos, that kinda thing). If you're craving the outdoors, depending on where you live, there might be community centers that you can pay just a few dollars for a one-time swim in the pool.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I ride at 5:30 AM
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    I go after the sun goes down.

Morning would typically be cooler and therefore better, but I have a harder time getting up at 5am than running at 9:30pm for an hour or two.
  • girlgeeklula
    girlgeeklula Posts: 85 Member
    I go out early (I'm generally at the park by 7) on most days. On the day's I can't do morning workiuts, I keep them short with lots of rehydating and time to cool back down before I return to chasing the kiddos.
  • Charlene_1985
    Charlene_1985 Posts: 122 Member
    I was supposed to do a long run today of 1:40:00. Made it 45 minutes with the heat index at 98 (plus it was sunny and I run in a park that has a ton of mulch that holds moisture and you can see the steam rising from it). Could not keep my HR below 180 so I stopped and walked. Others were doing fine. I keep pushing myself to go out and try to get acclimated but I can't.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited July 2017
    Some people do well in the heat, others don't. Some can train their bodies and eventually get good at dealing with the heat... others always seem to struggle. Only time and trial and error will tell where you land.

But more to your question... Going out early or late can certainly help. Take advantage of lawn sprinklers, people out washing their cars, etc. If you're friendly/silly about it, most people are pretty receptive to giving you spray as you go by (at least that's been my experience).

Biking can feel cooler, as long as you can keep a decent pace - climbing in the heat can be awful. Water sports/activities are a no-brainer, but can be harder logistically for some people.

Regardless, if you're not trained for the heat, I'd still go out, but I'd go out with the plan/expectation that my performance is going to suffer. I'd expect a slower pace and/or higher RPE than usual, and I'd probably plan for a longer or more focused recovery period.

Lastly, working outdoors in the heat all day + exercising in the heat is probably more than most of us can relate to. It'll certainly put more emphasis on things like hydration, electrolyte balance, and recovery... so don't underestimate those things.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    I do very, very poorly in the heat. I do have a home treadmill I can use, but this time of year prefer to use it just for rainy days (I simply cannot see in the rain in my glasses outside for a run).

I go out very early and just walk briskly instead of trying to run. Running in bad heat induces migraines for me.

Thankfully, the weather here is supposed to break tomorrow, so I should be able to run on Saturday.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    I find early in the mornings to be worse than evenings in the deep south. In the mornings, the temps are in the 80's and 90% humidity. It's the humidity that kills you. In the afternoons, like today it's a heat index of 107, but the humidity usually backs down to 50-60%. Evenings it actually feels pretty nice. I ride my bike and as long as I stay hydrated I'm OK. In the afternoons home, I will wet my shirt down and go through spash pads if I can. As long as you are moving it's OK. It's when you have to stop at a light that it hits you.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I exercise indoors in the air conditioning.
  • WandaVaughn
    WandaVaughn Posts: 420 Member
    I'm at the track at 5:30 a.m. It's still muggy, but at least the sun isn't blaring down on me yet.