Outdoor Exercise and Poor Air Quality

I live in an area that has numerous forest fires burning right now and the air is very smokey (most days we can't see the sun). Do you think it's ok to run in these conditions? I'm thinking of just going to the gym instead but I really hate being inside in the summer. I guess my question is this: is breathing hard, like when you run, any worse for you than just breathing normally, like when you're outside doing normal activities such as walking?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    {quote]Smoke from a wildfire can contain high concentrations of fine particulate matter, which can be a health hazard.[/quote]

https://healthlinkbc.ca/health-feature/wildfires-and-air-quality

I'd probably keep it indoors for the time being.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    When I've been down wind of a major burn, it's given me headaches. Would not want to breathe extra.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    I live in an area that has numerous forest fires burning right now and the air is very smokey (most days we can't see the sun). Do you think it's ok to run in these conditions? I'm thinking of just going to the gym instead but I really hate being inside in the summer. I guess my question is this: is breathing hard, like when you run, any worse for you than just breathing normally, like when you're outside doing normal activities such as walking?

When the air is hazardous to breathe, yes. You draw air more deeply into your lungs when you are breathing hard.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Unless the building you're exercising/training in is sealed/positive pressure, It's not going to matter.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Poor air quality would be one of the less than acceptable conditions in which I would go indoors, which is why I joined the gym
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    If you live in or near a city there is likely public data on the air quality. Just do a Google search. Different levels will be unhealthy for different people. If you have asthma or any other respiratory condition a small amount of smoke could be unhealthy, while a person with no condition can tolerate more smoke. My lazy guide for my well controlled asthma is stay inside if I can smell the smoke, but I'm usually fine if it's just hazy.
  • bonnielee708
    bonnielee708 Posts: 65 Member
    If you are in British Columbia, like me, you can get data from this site: http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/epd/bcairquality/readings/find-stations-map.html.

I have been opting for the Y and swimming, however, to avoid the smog and pollution.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Went through this earlier this summer...stay indoors for your exercise. I spent a couple of weeks relegated to the bike trainer and gym before they had it controlled enough to where it wasn't affecting air quality in the city. My eyes and lungs burned just walking to the car to go to work.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    I would definitely stay inside if its as smokey as you say. It is definitely unhealthy to breath smoke, which is why they recommend not going outside when it's smokey. Use the gym if you have one, work out in your house if you don't.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    I would not run outdoors in smoke. Very unhealthy. If you can't see the sun, that's pretty bad.