Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    I don't get the argument here. No one is blaming people for being fat. Stuff happens. But at the same time, no one on earth actually thinks fast good is "healthy" or "low cal" when they go and order a bacon cheeseburger with fries. They're well aware of what they're doing. So? That's not the fault of Fast Food tricking anyone. They have made countless changes over the years from including apples and juice in Kid's Meals instead of fries and soda... to putting calories right on the food menu... to having $1 options (smaller portions, more choices, less money) etc etc. Most in response to customer demand.

They're serving what people want (or at least settle for). And people choose to buy it. No one is a victim there.

*Christ, the holier-than-thous would cry if they saw my diary today. Cereal for breakfast, diet Pepsi for lunch, different cereal for dinner, then huge bowl of ice cream with milk for snack. I guess I'm a victim of the Dairy industry? I don't get it.*

Yea, but the food kabal wants you fat and dead...don't let the calorie counts and healthy options trick you..
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    The McD's on the Hawaiian offers spam for breakfast along with eggs and rice. They mostly definitely have their consumers in mind. And it was good!

The ones down South serve Grits for breakfast... So yummy.

I love grits. I'm not sure I trust McD's to make decent grits.
  • haviegirl
    haviegirl Posts: 230 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    All our bodies are so different, the truth is no one really knows what works or how it works, but everyone who's read the latest article is an expert... (rolls eyes)

Our bodies are remarkably similar. We know quite a lot about what works and how it works for the important aspects.

Our behaviors are very different; however. Despite this simple fact many get lost obsessing on the insignificant issues and lose the larger picture. There is easy money to be made convincing people otherwise - 20 B in the US alone.

Not so, truth is we really have no idea...
    Anything you can find a study for, low carb, cico, veganism, high protein, low fat, gluten free, organic, hiit, steady state... Whatever

I bet you can find a study that provides evidence to the contrary, and an army of people who believe the opposite...

I've found that many of today's know-it-alls, will claim something totally different when the next trend comes along

... only if your definition of "study" is extremely loose.

The one truth and constant is that large food manufacturers and the fast food industry doesn't give a damn about you...

I understand that their a business and responsible to their shareholders blah blah blah...

But that's exactly the point, they only care about the profit and not for your health

That is a sweeping generalization that I don't believe applies to every large food manufacturer or fast food company.

On an unrelated note - I've been totally craving a McGriddle the last couple of days!

No, you are completely wrong, and people do need to get this right. That they are responsible to shareholders first actually applies to every large food manufacturer and fast food company. In fact its written in their rules of corporate governance. Profit and interests of the shareholders is ALWAYS above "caring for your health". However, some may have good marketing departments which make it seem untrue to those uninformed possibly. And many have goals which can sometimes coincide with consumer health. But it is not the primary goal.

I'm actually not sure how this has to be explained to people still?

Yep, shareholders. And you know what's the best way to make money? Sell people what they've demonstrated they actually want.

When I took graduate-level marketing classes, they made it pretty clear that the formula is to figure out what people really, really want - not what they say they want, not what they think they ought to want.

Then you provide what the people (en masse) want, but you advertise it as being what they think they ought to want. Voila: Crispy chicken salad! Natural! With Newman's Own reduced-calorie dressing, aura of charitable generosity included! ;)

It is not their job to attend to our well-being. They're not our mommy or daddy. It's our job to figure out what we want, and buy it, thus voting with our dollars for more of that.

If we wanted and bought organic gluten-free roasted brussels sprouts in environmentally-friendly single-serve shelf-stable packaging, they'd be falling all over themselves to sell them to us . . . better, cheaper, and faster.

Now I've got a Spice Girls song in my head...thanks for that... :wink:
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    TR0berts wrote: »
    The McD's on the Hawaiian offers spam for breakfast along with eggs and rice. They mostly definitely have their consumers in mind. And it was good!

The ones down South serve Grits for breakfast... So yummy.

I love grits. I'm not sure I trust McD's to make decent grits.

They do.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    @abetterme9366 has a great blog this very topic. Contact her for the link.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    So don't give in this lunch or dinner to the marketer's and food engineers at fast food chains, their very profits are bet against your ability to free that super hero inside of you! Think about it, why do they have to make their frys so salty?

And remember that if you really know better and give in to McDonald's and the food industry anyway... Then csardiver is right... Otherwise be ready to fight for your health because they are against you, don't believe they are not...

Now it's up to you to eat wise and exercise!

So if I go to McD's or Wendy's or Jack or any other food establishment and get a salad with plain grilled chicken (no fries, no burger, etc), have I then given in to the 'establishment' and lost my soul in the process?!?!?

Imagine if you ordered a cheeseburger and fries!!! >:)>:)>:)

mmm fries

giphy.gif

When the US obesity rate reaches 90%, "Mmm Fries" will officially replace "E Pluribus Unum" on all of our currency...

giphy.gif

ETA: we can air fry them if you want :*

That is the glorious part of MFP - half the people are scratching and clawing to eat at a deficit and the other half are gushing over all of the greasy, high calorie - high fat food they eat

The really fun part is that looking at the respective food diaries, the so-called "greasy high cal - high fat" folks don't eat that differently in practice in a lot of cases from the "oh so clean" . . . and sometimes even eat more nutritiously. I think the recently (semi-)converted can sometimes be the biggest proselytizers. No universals, of course.

I don't think the "oh so clean" people really give a rat's about it it - this site has a lot of "oh so fat" people who probably can't fit 510 calories & 24g of fat from an order of large fries from McDonald's into a deficit oriented diet, so I've always found MFP an odd place to brag about eating these types of foods.

I'm not parsing this.

The truly fat people in many cases have higher TDEEs, so can fit some fries (why would it be large? mostly I see people saying you can eat fast food and giving examples where they skip the fries or have small or have it as a rare indulgence meal).

The "oh so clean" people seem to go on and on about how they don't eat processed foods when the diaries from "clean eaters" I've seen look similar to what I eat (which isn't clean) or often more processed stuff (which is fine, processed stuff can fit in a healthful diet). Very, very often the people going on about eating clean are, as the prior poster said, brand new to cooking at all (after eating way more fast food or frozen stuff than many of us ever did, and having much more fondness for packaged sweets than many of us ever did) and they think that eating McD's only a couple of times a week is "clean" or some such and that everyone not self-proclaimed "clean" must not care about nutrition at all and eating a horrible diet, which is annoying.

Not everyone is on a diet, not everyone eating at a deficit is "scratching and clawing" to get there, and most people who say "I still eat some so called junk food or fast food" will explain it's more rarely or in smaller amounts than before. I love Indian food and decided I didn't want to skip everything I loved most to construct a deficit appropriate meal (this was when I was on a deficit) and so I decided to go only once a month, usually on a long run or long bike day. Nice, but saying I still go have curry and naan doesn't mean I can eat that all the time or wasn't keeping a deficit.

If you are a 6 ft 50 year old man who is 100lbs overweight and trying to lose 1-1.5 lbs per week , running a 500-750 calorie deficit per day and eating 2,000 calories a day after eating 3,500 calories a day +for years, that is scratching and clawing for that person.

It might be, it might not be. There are as many people who go through their diets, see sensible ways to cut calories, and find it not that hard. And there are clearly lots of people who decide they can only eat "healthy" foods and then struggle to reach 1200.

I lost 95 lbs and did not find eating at a 1000 cal deficit for a while required "scratching and clawing." (I also did not eat a diet filled with junk food when getting fat, never really ate fast food, and find some of the assumptions about how fat people must eat annoying. Of course, I ate too much.)
    That is a huge difference and a big lifestyle adjustment. I'm trying to understand why that person (or anyone else, to be honest) would want to read about fit people enjoying their fries and donuts on a fitness site.

I think a lot of people think losing the weight would be too difficult and not worth the sacrifice because they imagine it will require a year or two of nothing but starving on chicken breast and broccoli or else a permanent diet where they must eat only foods that they don't particularly enjoy.

Understanding that (1) you can lose weight without being always hungry and eating delicious foods (and here I include learning to cook a healthy diet that is also tasty to you, if this is a skill you lack -- one reason it was easier for me is that I knew how to cook and enjoyed it); and (2) that you don't have to become a person who never eats pizza or cookies or fast food, if you enjoy those things. I was extremely restrictive for a while when I first started (although at least my food was varied and good and to my taste -- like I said, I liked to cook, and I also have always enjoyed vegetables). Despite that, realizing I was cutting too low (without counting I was eating around 1000 cal, since I was being nuts in overcutting starches and fat) and also realizing I could include some more indulgent foods (and that if I exercised I could reasonably eat around 1600 and lose -- and that was losing 2 lb/week) is what I attribute to me being able to enjoy it and keep it up for a year+ and to happily transition to maintenance. Finding ways to fit in my love of Indian foods, as mentioned, and eating out regularly (not fast food, but the calories are still high) and having some ice cream is part of this.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    So don't give in this lunch or dinner to the marketer's and food engineers at fast food chains, their very profits are bet against your ability to free that super hero inside of you! Think about it, why do they have to make their frys so salty?

And remember that if you really know better and give in to McDonald's and the food industry anyway... Then csardiver is right... Otherwise be ready to fight for your health because they are against you, don't believe they are not...

So if I go to McD's or Wendy's or Jack or any other food establishment and get a salad with plain grilled chicken (no fries, no burger, etc), have I then given in to the 'establishment' and lost my soul in the process?!?!?

mmm fries

giphy.gif

When the US obesity rate reaches 90%, "Mmm Fries" will officially replace "E Pluribus Unum" on all of our currency...

giphy.gif

That is the glorious part of MFP - half the people are scratching and clawing to eat at a deficit and the other half are gushing over all of the greasy, high calorie - high fat food they eat

The really fun part is that looking at the respective food diaries, the so-called "greasy high cal - high fat" folks don't eat that differently in practice in a lot of cases from the "oh so clean" . . . and sometimes even eat more nutritiously. I think the recently (semi-)converted can sometimes be the biggest proselytizers. No universals, of course.

I don't think the "oh so clean" people really give a rat's about it it - this site has a lot of "oh so fat" people who probably can't fit 510 calories & 24g of fat from an order of large fries from McDonald's into a deficit oriented diet, so I've always found MFP an odd place to brag about eating these types of foods.

I'm not parsing this.

The truly fat people in many cases have higher TDEEs, so can fit some fries (why would it be large? mostly I see people saying you can eat fast food and giving examples where they skip the fries or have small or have it as a rare indulgence meal).

The "oh so clean" people seem to go on and on about how they don't eat processed foods when the diaries from "clean eaters" I've seen look similar to what I eat (which isn't clean) or often more processed stuff (which is fine, processed stuff can fit in a healthful diet). Very, very often the people going on about eating clean are, as the prior poster said, brand new to cooking at all (after eating way more fast food or frozen stuff than many of us ever did, and having much more fondness for packaged sweets than many of us ever did) and they think that eating McD's only a couple of times a week is "clean" or some such and that everyone not self-proclaimed "clean" must not care about nutrition at all and eating a horrible diet, which is annoying.

Not everyone is on a diet, not everyone eating at a deficit is "scratching and clawing" to get there, and most people who say "I still eat some so called junk food or fast food" will explain it's more rarely or in smaller amounts than before. I love Indian food and decided I didn't want to skip everything I loved most to construct a deficit appropriate meal (this was when I was on a deficit) and so I decided to go only once a month, usually on a long run or long bike day. Nice, but saying I still go have curry and naan doesn't mean I can eat that all the time or wasn't keeping a deficit.

If you are a 6 ft 50 year old man who is 100lbs overweight and trying to lose 1-1.5 lbs per week , running a 500-750 calorie deficit per day and eating 2,000 calories a day after eating 3,500 calories a day +for years, that is scratching and clawing for that person. That is a huge difference and a big lifestyle adjustment. I'm trying to understand why that person (or anyone else, to be honest) would want to read about fit people enjoying their fries and donuts on a fitness site.

What is funny haha about this is I had a person on my Friend list tell me something similar but basically said please stop talking about all the food you are making/eating...

my response was ah no...I am losing weight the way I want and if you don't like it you know where the door is...

I was that person losing weight making and eating donuts...fries...pies...nachos etc.

it's not just fit folks that enjoy food and talking about ti.

Lol I love when people try and dictate how you should post. Gtfoh.

Nothing wrong with talking about food on a fitness/calorie counting site.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    SezxyStef wrote: »

mmm fries

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I'm not parsing this.

If you are a 6 ft 50 year old man who is 100lbs overweight and trying to lose 1-1.5 lbs per week , running a 500-750 calorie deficit per day and eating 2,000 calories a day after eating 3,500 calories a day +for years, that is scratching and clawing for that person. That is a huge difference and a big lifestyle adjustment. I'm trying to understand why that person (or anyone else, to be honest) would want to read about fit people enjoying their fries and donuts on a fitness site.

What is funny haha about this is I had a person on my Friend list tell me something similar but basically said please stop talking about all the food you are making/eating...

my response was ah no...I am losing weight the way I want and if you don't like it you know where the door is...

I was that person losing weight making and eating donuts...fries...pies...nachos etc.

it's not just fit folks that enjoy food and talking about ti.

Lol I love when people try and dictate how you should post. Gtfoh.

Nothing wrong with talking about food on a fitness/calorie counting site.

As you dictate how I should post by saying "Gtfoh" concerning something I posted...

No one was talking to you.. It's not all about you.

My mistake...
This discussion has been closed.