When do you take your OMAD? What works for you?

gomissfitnes
gomissfitnes Posts: 268 Member
I personally take mine around 11, but I'm thinking about switching it to later in the afternoon, 4/5ish. I know it doesn't really matter when, as far as good results go. I'm just curious about what works for you. I think it would be interesting to have a thread that references this information.

Replies

• blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited July 2017
    I think how it matters is that if you eat early, there is more time to eat late also. I've tried eating early and it doesn't work for me. It does work for some but once I start eating, I tend to keep eating so the-later the-better for me!
  • minigrrll
    minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
    Same here - it's got to be the evening because once I start, I just want to keep eating for the rest of the day. I did try to have my meal at lunch a couple of times, but ended up eating dinner as well. If I don't eat in the day, I don't have much of a problem at all making it until dinner time...
  • x3nomorph
    x3nomorph Posts: 174 Member
    evening , end of the day for me, that's the way our hunter gatherer ancestors ate the bulk of their calories, they sat around a fire with a nice cooked meal, that's the way humanity came to be around 1 million years back haha so there's prbly something to it
  • mikseyniha
    mikseyniha Posts: 442 Member
    I guess its more to do with the windows which you feel the most comfortable with. I find the window of 4 to 6 pm the best since I get to look forward to my meal and I don't feel empty by the time I sleep. However, I do switch to 1 to 3 pm over the weekends just to have a meal with my family. I have not seen any major differences in terms of progress in both the windows. Both work great. Any time window should be good, as long as you feel good about eating in that time frame.
  • jvcinv
    jvcinv Posts: 504 Member
    Evening is very easy for me, I look forward to my meal all day.
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    I eat at night because if I ate during the day I would want to eat all day long and that would NOT be good at all :)
  • Zara_Pi
    Zara_Pi Posts: 141 Member
    Late for me as well. I set a target time of 9pm, but by the time I get my dinner ready and I'm ready to eat it's nearly 10pm. I allow myself a 2-3 hour eating window, in which I eat and drink what I want and as much as I want.

Yesterday I had a cornetto at 11am because it was a hot sunny day (a rarity in Manchester, England)
    BIG MISTAKE!
    After that I just could not stop eating. I continued eating all day. I added up all my calories today and it was over 3000 cals! Despite eating so many calories, it once did I feel I'd ate enough and was satisfied.

• mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    I'm with everyone else, once I start eating I want to keep eating so I do it in the evening time when I get home from work and I get to look forward to what I eat all day long
  • blambo61
    Zara_Pi wrote: »
    Late for me as well. I set a target time of 9pm, but by the time I get my dinner ready and I'm ready to eat it's nearly 10pm. I allow myself a 2-3 hour eating window, in which I eat and drink what I want and as much as I want.

Yesterday I had a cornetto at 11am because it was a hot sunny day (a rarity in Manchester, England)
    BIG MISTAKE!
    After that I just could not stop eating. I continued eating all day. I added up all my calories today and it was over 3000 cals! Despite eating so many calories, it once did I feel I'd ate enough and was satisfied.

That would be my experience also. Once I awaken "The Beast" (my stomach) I usually don't fare too well. Better to let him sleep!
  • brittdee88
    brittdee88 Posts: 1,874 Member
    I was eating midday before, and while it worked for me willpower-wise, my sleep was super crappy because hunger was an interruption in the middle of the night. Now I eat between 4:45 and 5:15ish most days. That works best for me.
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    I ate at 10-11am and it was fine for the entire day, except I was really sleepy right after and I had to take a nap. (I think it's from all the carbs I overate). When I ate at 6pm, I was so full that it was uncomfortable trying to fall asleep at 10-11. I think I will try it in the middle of those hours, maybe 2-3pm?
  • blambo61
    Whatever works and doesn't cause you to overeat should be good! I get tired after my meal too and that actually helps me sleep in the evenings I think. I'ts hard for a lot of people to eat early and then stop for the rest of the day but if it works for you, why not!
  • blambo61
    In another thread, you wrote,"This is so interesting. The whole calorie intake question and internal battle. I wish I had some definite personal proof as to what works for me. I guess if we keep going we will figure it out!"

I really think that any weight loss program should 1st be based on the simple CI - CO = Fat Loss/Gain. If we take in less than we burn, we are GUARANTEED to lose weight (the energy has to come from somewhere or we are a perpetual motion machine getting energy from nothing). The only problem with that is that for some with very low BMR for whatever reason (thyroid problems, lack of exercise, driving it down to too low of calorie consumption) they will have problems getting the deficit.

Fasting helps in a couple of ways, it helps us have a calorie deficit, which probably is the biggest thing it does for us weight loss-wise. It also forces gluconeogenisis where the food we eat is stored as fat then it has to be broken back down into keytones and glucose for us to use. Each of those processes takes up energy that the body can't use so there are calorie losses incurred which helps in driving a deficit even bigger than what the CICO model predicts. There are other health benefits due to fasting also and I think it is the easiest way to eat to eat at a deficit due to it keeps our insulin levels low while fasting so we don't get very hungry. It also shrinks our stomach which helps us control quantity eaten.

What we eat can make some differences too. Eating fat or eating carbs or eating proteins all take different amounts of energy and also the storage and re-use of these calories by the body are different. Low carb helps (as long as it doesn't drive you crazy and cause binging).

I don't think fasting or anything else is magic and that the above principles are what makes things work. If we eat too much while fasting, we will still gain weight even though we gain some benefits above the CICO equation. There is only so much we can eat with any protocol (including low carb) for it to work.

Things I've read/experience that seem to help:
    1. Get good sleep - lack of sleep causes cortisol which inhibits fat loss and also makes people insulin resistant
    2. Reduce stress - same reasons
    3. Fast
    4. Lower carb (If I eat lunch, it is usually very low carb although I allow carbs in the evening)
    5. Lower calories (this is what you will have to experiment with to see what works or just measure and count cals)
    6. Exercise to increase calorie burn (can fix a low BMR so you can get a deficit. If nothing else, you get to eat more - don't go overboard and cause too much stress though).
    7. Fiber is supposed to keep the body from responding to carbs as much as it would without
    8. ACV is supposed to help, why I'm not sure
    9. I think getting enough protein helps reduce cravings and allows us to continue fasting the next day.
    10. Occasional splurges are sometimes necessary for our sanity and the long-term sustainability of keeping on the diet.

Sorry for the long ramble/rant. Those are kind of the things that guide me. Hope some of it was helpful.
  • gomissfitnes
    gomissfitnes Posts: 268 Member
    Very very helpful! Thanks for all of the good information.
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    blambo61 wrote: »
    In another thread, you wrote,"This is so interesting. The whole calorie intake question and internal battle. I wish I had some definite personal proof as to what works for me. I guess if we keep going we will figure it out!"

I really think that any weight loss program should 1st be based on the simple CI - CO = Fat Loss/Gain. If we take in less than we burn, we are GUARANTEED to lose weight (the energy has to come from somewhere or we are a perpetual motion machine getting energy from nothing). The only problem with that is that for some with very low BMR for whatever reason (thyroid problems, lack of exercise, driving it down to too low of calorie consumption) they will have problems getting the deficit.

Fasting helps in a couple of ways, it helps us have a calorie deficit, which probably is the biggest thing it does for us weight loss-wise. It also forces gluconeogenisis where the food we eat is stored as fat then it has to be broken back down into keytones and glucose for us to use. Each of those processes takes up energy that the body can't use so there are calorie losses incurred which helps in driving a deficit even bigger than what the CICO model predicts. There are other health benefits due to fasting also and I think it is the easiest way to eat to eat at a deficit due to it keeps our insulin levels low while fasting so we don't get very hungry. It also shrinks our stomach which helps us control quantity eaten.

What we eat can make some differences too. Eating fat or eating carbs or eating proteins all take different amounts of energy and also the storage and re-use of these calories by the body are different. Low carb helps (as long as it doesn't drive you crazy and cause binging).

I don't think fasting or anything else is magic and that the above principles are what makes things work. If we eat too much while fasting, we will still gain weight even though we gain some benefits above the CICO equation. There is only so much we can eat with any protocol (including low carb) for it to work.

Things I've read/experience that seem to help:
    1. Get good sleep - lack of sleep causes cortisol which inhibits fat loss and also makes people insulin resistant
    2. Reduce stress - same reasons
    3. Fast
    4. Lower carb (If I eat lunch, it is usually very low carb although I allow carbs in the evening)
    5. Lower calories (this is what you will have to experiment with to see what works or just measure and count cals)
    6. Exercise to increase calorie burn (can fix a low BMR so you can get a deficit. If nothing else, you get to eat more - don't go overboard and cause too much stress though).
    7. Fiber is supposed to keep the body from responding to carbs as much as it would without
    8. ACV is supposed to help, why I'm not sure
    9. I think getting enough protein helps reduce cravings and allows us to continue fasting the next day.
    10. Occasional splurges are sometimes necessary for our sanity and the long-term sustainability of keeping on the diet.

Sorry for the long ramble/rant. Those are kind of the things that guide me. Hope some of it was helpful.

Don't be sorry, it's what people want to know :)
  • barbheart
    barbheart Posts: 433 Member
    I eat at 2 pm and love it, but this is because I am not having too much of a social life lately if I had to go out for dinner I´d soon switch to evenings...
    But I love the benefit of not spiking insuline at night time, I get the feeling its better for me somehow.
  • sammygold2015
    sammygold2015 Posts: 630 Member
    I eat between 4 and 7... just depends on the day.