PMS Weight Gain???

I have been using MFP for less than a month now and I have seen constant weight loss every time I weigh myself (I weigh twice a week) however I have noticed that I have gained almost 2 pounds this week despite my daily deficit of around 750 calories and exercising daily. I know I am about to start my period, so can I account that weight gain to that? I know that sometimes that PMS weight gain can be because people indulge in sweets and junk, but I have kept that in moderation and when I eat them, I always measure out a proper serving. I've read that extra weight is usually just water weight, and if so, will it be easy to lose in a week or so?

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited June 2017
    It should be gone shortly after your period if it's water weight. It times out differently for different people, though, so wait and see what happens. Maybe make a note on a calendar when you start seeing increases and subsequent losses so you can refer to it the next month. You can also try using one of those weight trending apps that are all the rage right now. Libra on Android, and I'm sure someone will be along soon to list the others.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited June 2017
    Weighing myself daily has taught that certain things cause water weight gain. If I feel bloated from a high-sodium meal at Burger King, I avoid weighing myself for 2 days now.
    Ex: alcohol, pizza (due to high sodium), monthly visitor, even aspirin.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Yes, hormonal changes will show up on the scale. Don't sweat it. Keep tracking. Pretty soon you'll know exactly how your body reacts to hormonal changes, extra sodium, etc.

I gain 4 pounds before my period. Every time. It comes off 2-3 days after.
  • smileyducky
    smileyducky Posts: 31 Member
    I'm the same way, I weigh myself daily and I've noticed about 1-2 weeks before my period I slowly gain everyday to a total of 5+ extra pounds even when I count my calories accurately and exercise. It's very frustrating even though I know the reason behind it! Once my period starts I woosh like crazy and in two days I've lost the 5lbs plus one or two extra so don't worry, trust the process it sorts itself out
  • diroka
    diroka Posts: 48 Member
    Yes, hormonal changes will show up on the scale. Don't sweat it. Keep tracking. Pretty soon you'll know exactly how your body reacts to hormonal changes, extra sodium, etc.

I gain 4 pounds before my period. Every time. It comes off 2-3 days after.

This.^ My weight gain/loss is exactly the same. About 4 days before until 2 days after. It sucks but at least I know it's coming.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Yes. This is very common knowledge.
  • DharmainHeels
    DharmainHeels Posts: 94 Member
    I stopped weighing myself during my period. I am literally 5-7 lbs heavier no matter what I am doing in my life.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    I got mine yesterday and my stomach is so round and hard. No way I'm stepping on the scale.
  • labblb86
    labblb86 Posts: 28 Member
    I stay away from the scale at that time. I go up the day I get it, until a few days after it ends.
  • elizabethmcopeland
    elizabethmcopeland Posts: 167 Member
    It's goofy, but every time this comes up, I feel the need to remind us women:

Blood is freakin' heavy. You're not just bloated with gas. You're more than likely going to weigh more than normal.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    It should be gone shortly after your period if it's water weight. It times out differently for different people, though, so wait and see what happens. Maybe make a note on a calendar when you start seeing increases and subsequent losses so you can refer to it the next month. You can also try using one of those weight trending apps that are all the rage right now. Libra on Android, and I'm sure someone will be along soon to list the others.

Happy Scale on iOS.
  • Frequently_Fabulous
    Frequently_Fabulous Posts: 132 Member
    I always hope it's water weight, but I keep weighing myself just because there's a 50/50 chance it's PMS "oh yeah I just ate a carton of ice cream" weight gain. Lol