Weight Watchers - zero point foods?

2»

Replies

• nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Yes, it's accounted for. I don't know the exact numbers, but say if MFP gave me 1500 calories to lose weight, WW points would equal 1300 calories (or whatever) expecting the difference to be made up for in fruits in veggies.

But if you eat close to 1000 calories in fruits and veggies, then that's an issue

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,285 Member
    The closer you get to goal, the more even smaller amounts matter. I have a cup of seedless grapes with breakfast every morning (weighed out, it's usually 145-160 grams). That's around 100 calories. If I have eight cherries (79 grams weighed with the pits in, using the USDA data), that's 50. If I'm trying to lose 1/2 lb per week, then I'm shooting for a daily 250-calorie deficit. Trust me, I want to know to count those 150 calories because at that point, they matter.

(Right now, I'm further away from goal, so it's less of an issue.)
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    They account for it in the Points allowance, which provides for a lower intake than a calorie allowance calculated for the same person. The idea behind it is to get people to eat fruit and veg rather than something else - if they actually allocated the Points to fruit that they clearly have (if you put the relevant macros into a Points calculator, they tend to be around 2 Points, from memory), people would go "Eh, 2 Points for an apple, I may as well have X instead".

Yes, it's accounted for. I don't know the exact numbers, but say if MFP gave me 1500 calories to lose weight, WW points would equal 1300 calories (or whatever) expecting the difference to be made up for in fruits in veggies.

Yes, but only 2 bananas would bridge that gap.

• Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    I think fresh fruits and veggies are hard to binge on. It's true that you could, but I've never done it. Bread? I could eat it all day.
  • laurabadams
    laurabadams Posts: 201 Member
    storyjorie wrote: »
    I think fresh fruits and veggies are hard to binge on. It's true that you could, but I've never done it. Bread? I could eat it all day.

Some people with BED or with BED-type behaviors can share stories of binges that consisted of or included fresh fruit and vegetables. Virtually any food can be an issue, unfortunately.

Yep. This describes me. I've eaten 6 bananas during a 2 hour, late afternoon binge (along with lots of other items).

This is one of my (many) issues with WW. I did WW last year - joined 5/1/16, lost 50# & hit goal 8/20/16, lost 5# more & made lifetime on 10/1/16. I've kept the weight off, but stopped using their app & points method on 3/1/17 when I switched to calorie counting on MFP. I struggled to maintain with their points program (kept losing despite many attempts at point adjustment). I didn't like not knowing what all I was eating from a calorie & macronutrients standpoint. I also didn't like that any size portion of avocado would have points, but I could eat 3 giant bananas for 0 points? What?...

*I say 3 bananas because WW *does* suggest limiting servings of fruit & vegetables, but doesn't really push this information, so people happily eat entire watermelons & count it as 0.
  • caryll4
    caryll4 Posts: 21 Member
    I have been a weight watcher for years yes fruits are zero points , but that doesn't,t mean you can eat endlessly they still contain calories, even though calories are not counted you have to be careful you don,t eat to many. Hope that helps your leader will say same .use caution
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member

Some people with BED or with BED-type behaviors can share stories of binges that consisted of or included fresh fruit and vegetables. Virtually any food can be an issue, unfortunately.

I could give you some horror stories, I have binged on many vegetables.
  • tashygolean730
    tashygolean730 Posts: 92 Member
    On Smart Points I barely get 1100 calories on my points. I can cut on 1600. So that's 500 calories for fruits and veggies. For me that will never happen in one day. Now I don't follow WW, I just experiment with the points a bit on some of the free apps because I like comparing data. But fruits and veggies put into recipes are supposed to be counted in the total recipe. Its really to just encourage an extra helping of greens or fruit to the average dieter who doesn't really get enough in their diet.
  • leanitup123
    leanitup123 Posts: 489 Member

Very true. Been there.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    The "zero point, I didn't get fat on... so I don't count x" mentality has led members to stop counting creamer, condiments, fruit and veggie smoothies, etc. So you have a bunch of plateaued and "turtle club" members (occasionally double track when I need structure). Now some are double tracking and losing again. Because everything counts, especially close to goal.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited July 2017
    Nearly all fruits and vegetables are zero smart points, meaning dieters can eat them endlessly. I have a hard time understanding/agreeing with this.

I did WW many years ago, and with GREAT success. I really don't remember if the veggies and fruits were zero points, but even if they were, apparently that worked for me! I've never been one to eat ANYTHING "endlessly", and most certainly not fruits and veggies. But I certainly did increase my consumption of them while using the WW plan, and I learned to enjoy more of them. So that was a win for me. ;) What the person above stated, makes sense. The points allowance was quite low, so folks are more likely to take advantage of the so-called "free veggies and fruits". It definitely encourages more healthy eating. Can people overeat on them? Sure. And I expect that those people (not many I don't think) did not do well on WW.