I am not eating enough calories, anyone else? advice?

I haven't really had a appetite for a really long time, I have recently started tracking my food over the past few months since being diagnosed with PCOS and on daily I usually eat between 900-1200 on a good day, but sometimes it's just 600-700. I do feel tired alot so im assuming its because I am not eating enough. I am losing weight just from being on the medication for PCOS, and not overeating I guess helps, and I don't really exercise regularly, about 2 times a week plus regular activity with my daughter, swimming, walking through the woods, going to the parks, ect. I try to snack and eat throughout the day but I am only really eating a small lunch and regular dinner, not on a diet or anything just regular food and water, I don't really drink anything else other than water and milk. Most days when I complete my food diary it tells me I am not eating enough and my calorie goal is set at 1275. Is it ok for me to continue with such low intake? I need to lose weight and I am losing still. What can I do to get more calories down? When I am not hungry I really can not eat, it makes me sick to my stomach unless I actually want it, same with breakfast, I try to eat in the morning but I can't get it down. Any advice, or suggestions, maybe foods I should try to eat, any information is welcomed! Thank you!

Replies

• cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    Is this a side effect from your medication? If so, you could ask your doctor about trying something else or maybe a smaller dose. Otherwise, I would suggest trying to add some high calorie/low volume foods like real butter, full fat dairy products, nuts, peanut butter, avocado, extra oils when you cook, creamy salad dressing, etc.
  • defmut3
    defmut3 Posts: 735 Member
    Peanut butter and olive oil.
  • jordandills
    jordandills Posts: 103 Member
    That's really not enough and if the medication is having such a drastic effect, you need to talk to your doctor.

You said you drink milk, if you can manage to get that down I'd recommend drinking whole milk and seeing if you can add a protein powder or meal replacement powder to the milk to get your calories and nutrients up without feeling like you're forcing yourself to eat much more.
  • bogwoppt1
    bogwoppt1 Posts: 159 Member
    Agree that you should opt for more calorie, and nutrient, dense foods. Nut butters, hearty whole grain breads, sweet potatoes, olive oil. Full fat greek yogourt and cheese.
  • vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    I have PCOS as well but not any medications their isn't one specific medication there is depression, anxiety, insulin, all different types check the labels on the medication bottle to see if any of the side effects are loss of appetite. How are determining your food consumption food scale? If no you can be under estimating you calorie intake. Nut butters, yogurt, milk, and nuts are great ways to increase calories
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,262 Member
    I haven't really had a appetite for a really long time, I have recently started tracking my food over the past few months since being diagnosed with PCOS and on daily I usually eat between 900-1200 on a good day, but sometimes it's just 600-700. I do feel tired alot so im assuming its because I am not eating enough. I am losing weight just from being on the medication for PCOS, and not overeating I guess helps, and I don't really exercise regularly, about 2 times a week plus regular activity with my daughter, swimming, walking through the woods, going to the parks, ect. I try to snack and eat throughout the day but I am only really eating a small lunch and regular dinner, not on a diet or anything just regular food and water, I don't really drink anything else other than water and milk. Most days when I complete my food diary it tells me I am not eating enough and my calorie goal is set at 1275. Is it ok for me to continue with such low intake? I need to lose weight and I am losing still. What can I do to get more calories down? When I am not hungry I really can not eat, it makes me sick to my stomach unless I actually want it, same with breakfast, I try to eat in the morning but I can't get it down. Any advice, or suggestions, maybe foods I should try to eat, any information is welcomed! Thank you!

What are your height and weight? How many pounds per week have you lost over each of the last four weeks?
  • Perfection623
    Perfection623 Posts: 6 Member
    5'3" and around 240. I do not weigh myself regularly, just every month or so, since february i'm down nearly 40 lbs

jemhh wrote: »

What are your height and weight? How many pounds per week have you lost over each of the last four weeks?

• Perfection623
    Perfection623 Posts: 6 Member
    edited July 2017
    My medication has no effect on my appetite, I have been this way for awhile. The medication actually seemed to help with everything except bringing my appetite back. Im just never hungry, and I don't eat often. Sometimes I can go nearly 24 hours in between eating and other then feeling a little tired and lazy I feel fine. I also do not follow a diet I eat regular foods, I do eat a lot of fruits and veggies, and I do not really snack on much other then fruits or cheeses, no fast food or anything, I also do not weigh my foods, I do log everything I eat and drink, and I measure out serving sizes I just do not weigh them. I think im going to start trying to drink a meal replacement shake in the morning, its just hard to eat early in the day..
  • shandy82165
    shandy82165 Posts: 184 Member
    If you really can't stomach extra food, you could try drinking some calories. Things like fruit juice can have as much as 120cals per serving.
  • fromaquasar1
    fromaquasar1 Posts: 51 Member
    Calorie dense foods - avocado, peanut butter, nuts, Greek yoghurt, olive oil, cheese!

Is there any way you could incorporate resistance training into your exercise regime? I lift weights and it made a dramatic difference to my appetite, I am ravenous the day after I lift!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    allyphoe wrote: »
    5'3" and around 240. I do not weigh myself regularly, just every month or so, since february i'm down nearly 40 lbs

That's about 2 pounds a week, which is fine for someone your size. Because you're losing at a reasonable rate, and because you aren't necessarily accurately measuring intake, I suggest just keep on keeping on.

This. OP are you using a food scale? Can you double check the database entries you are using for accuracy? Are you logging everything including cooking oil, condiments, beverages etc every day?

If you were really eating so little, you would be losing weight at a very aggressive rate. Now would be a great time to tighten up your logging to get an accurate idea of where you are.
  • DM_78
    DM_78 Posts: 57 Member
    Please talk to your doctor. I also agree with what others have suggested about calorie dense foods such as nuts, nut butters, avocado, maybe cheese etc. Whole foods are usually the better option but if you don't have the appetite for them maybe a protein shake or smoothie with healthy add-ins would help.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,581 Member
    Because you don't use a food scale, chances are excellent you are consuming more calories than you think.

I also suggest accurately tracking your intake by accurately weighing your portions in order to make a more informed decision about where to go from here.

:)
  • Chichibelles
    Chichibelles Posts: 4 Member
    Hello everyone I bought a jawbone calorie counter I think this is the 1st version. I wonder if the active burn and resting burn is the total of my daily calories burned. I am in a 1500 calorie diet and as per my counter it shows with my daily activity I average to 2500 calories both resting and active burn combined.

A lot of times I have more investments on my resting burn which averages to 1500 and the rest is in my active burn by walking and doing some daily chores and a bit of exercise.

Am I doing it right? I need advice pls thanks! :)
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Hello everyone I bought a jawbone calorie counter I think this is the 1st version. I wonder if the active burn and resting burn is the total of my daily calories burned. I am in a 1500 calorie diet and as per my counter it shows with my daily activity I average to 2500 calories both resting and active burn combined.

A lot of times I have more investments on my resting burn which averages to 1500 and the rest is in my active burn by walking and doing some daily chores and a bit of exercise.

Am I doing it right? I need advice pls thanks! :)

you'd be better to start your own thread, so you don't hijack the OP's
  • kayeroze
    kayeroze Posts: 146 Member
    I would do as others suggest. Accurately log because you could be underestimating your intake with a scale and drink more of your calories. Fit in a protein shake or a fruit smoothie with nut better, whole milk, and avocado in it at around 300-400 calories per serving. At your height and weight, you should be at least consuming 1200 calories a day.

I’m 5’2 and 199#, and have some days where I struggle to hit 1200 calories because I can’t volume eat large meals and I am not a huge snacker. I found that by evaluating my daily calories per meal, I needed to up my breakfast, add more fat/oils to my dinner (lunch is leftovers), and to include more fruit in my diet as snacks.