A couple of interesting blog posts about OMAD

minigrrll
minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
Not sure if you guys have read any of Gin Stephen's stuff (she also has a podcast that is pretty good - I'm listening to the episodes when I walk the dogs), she is very interested in the science behind fasting and has written a short book. These two blog posts are pretty interesting:

http://www.ginstephens.com/all-blog-posts/can-your-body-adapt-to-your-fasting-plan

http://www.ginstephens.com/all-blog-posts/the-importance-of-mindset

Replies

• mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    minigrrll wrote: »
    Not sure if you guys have read any of Gin Stephen's stuff (she also has a podcast that is pretty good - I'm listening to the episodes when I walk the dogs), she is very interested in the science behind fasting and has written a short book. These two blog posts are pretty interesting:

http://www.ginstephens.com/all-blog-posts/can-your-body-adapt-to-your-fasting-plan

http://www.ginstephens.com/all-blog-posts/the-importance-of-mindset

OHHHHHHHHHH I love this sorta stuff! Is it just fasting in general or OMAD? Also do you know where I can find the podcasts? I'd love to listen to them OMW home from work (darn you 70 min drive LOL).
  • minigrrll
    70 MIN DRIVE???? OMG, you need the podcasts! http://podcast.ifpodcast.com/

She does OMAD and so does her co-host (they have both written books about it), but they talk about IF in general in the podcasts. The written stuff is more OMAD slanted though.
  • minigrrll
    They have pretty much a whole podcast on wine so this is right up our alley @mistymeadows2005 @brittdee88 ... Total justification right there!
  • wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    Omg, you could not have timed this better for me and my current situation. "Some days I have two meals and on vacation I have three"... even though she's an OMADer, I almost cried when reading it because both write ups resonated with me and with exactly what's going on. I laughed, too, and nodded along in agreement. I was in the "I can't" stage and it was killing me. I felt guilty for "cheating" by having two meals. I am "I can'ting" now with caloric intake.

Omg, I need to relax the reins I've put on myself and loosen up! Some days I may have one meal and others two, occasionally I'll have totally off days.

You've made my day, IFing is the life for me, regardless of times or meal frequency. And, I'm an OMADER at heart, damn it!

Now, maybe I need to check out their wine stuff! Lol
  • minigrrll
    That's awesome Sandy... I have to say I just might have had you in mind (along with some others) when I posted this. :)

There is also some interesting stuff about burning muscle rather than fat (sounds like it might not really happen when you are fasting) and I know you were concerned about that. I think that stuff is in the podcast though. They are definitely worth a listen.
  • minigrrll
    I'd recommend the book too - Delay Don't Deny. It's a quick read and you can get it on Kindle (not sure if you have a Kindle or not though...)
  • wsandy8512
    That's awesome Sandy... I have to say I just might have had you in mind (along with some others) when I posted this. :)

There is also some interesting stuff about burning muscle rather than fat (sounds like it might not really happen when you are fasting) and I know you were concerned about that. I think that stuff is in the podcast though. They are definitely worth a listen.

"Might" wink, wink, elbow, elbow. You knew exactly what you were doing! I love you... in a completely heterosexual way, Of course. If you haven't seen the "Bromance" song on YouTube, google it. I played it for my hubby and his bestie. Bwahahaha

Yes, I think I will get the book! I will also listen to the podcasts. :)
  • minigrrll
    The love is mutual... Funny, when I was camping I was thinking about all you guys on here and how friendly this site is. I've never actually been involved in anything that is strictly online (other than my job - we all work from home - but we do see each other a few times a year), so this is new experience for me! :-)
  • jvcinv
    jvcinv Posts: 504 Member
    thanks for the links, I'm always looking for IF stuff to read or listen to.
    It's like I want to soak up as many perspectives as possible.
  • minigrrll
    Same here...
  • wsandy8512
    The love is mutual... Funny, when I was camping I was thinking about all you guys on here and how friendly this site is. I've never actually been involved in anything that is strictly online (other than my job - we all work from home - but we do see each other a few times a year), so this is new experience for me! :-)

Really is a friendly site with lots of supportive people. How nice you work from home! I had an online job for a few months last year, I quit because I felt the company was shady and my moral compass was just not allowing me to continue with it anymore. Every now and then I search for something to do online again, but not enough to find anything. I let out a sigh, and then forget about it for awhile. I'd love an online job because it would give me something to do when the hubby is offshore, and because I'd get to be home when he is<<--number one reason I haven't sought work outside the home, right there. We love our life :-)

I just sent a request to join the Delay, don't deny FB group. I didn't do their OMAD one yet. I hope I make the cut! lol
  • minigrrll
    edited July 2017
    Yeah, working from home is the best! We are definitely NOT a shady company... :) Best company I've ever worked for actually: (www.lantanagroup.com). The only slight downside is that it is an American company (I'm the only one in Australia) and I have to get up pretty early to do calls (first one was 5am this morning...). But it does mean my day also ends pretty early...

I am in the group you requested to join ( @barbheart is on there too!) - I'm pretty sure I requested to join the OMAD one, but I must have got rejected from it because I'm not a member! Ha!
  • wsandy8512
    edited July 2017
    Yeah, working from home is the best! We are definitely NOT a shady company... :) Best company I've ever worked for actually: (www.lantanagroup.com). The only slight downside is that it is an American company (I'm the only one in Australia) and I have to get up pretty early to do calls (first one was 5am this morning...). But it does mean my day also ends pretty early...

Ouch, that is early! The company I worked for offered *free* and/or $1, 7-day trial to use their legal forms. I am all for people being responsible for what they sign up for, but we weren't allowed to offer a $1/refund unless they asked, if we offered it without customer asking, we'd get written up. Couldn't warn customers to make sure they cancel before 7 days were up or they'd get charged $49.95/month, either. I felt bad for so many people, especially parents. Their college or high school student would sign up for free trial for a quick form, forget to cancel, and... lets just say heaven forbid people were on vacation and weren't seeing their bills. I couldn't take it anymore. I feel like they only make money based solely upon the forgetful nature of people, period.
    I am in the group you requested to join ( @barbheart is on there too!) - I'm pretty sure I requested to join the OMAD one, but I must have got rejected from it because I'm not a member! Ha!

How could anyone ever reject you!? That stinks! I hope I can be in the group with you and Barb. :-)
  • minigrrll
    Whoa - $49.99 is crazy. Yeah, I can see how that would be a hard place to work. I hate those free trial deals where you have to give your credit card before you can do the free trial. They are absolutely banking on you forgetting...

I know right! I actually just went and re-asked to join - I have a feeling something didn't go through (they ask you those questions) as I tried to join that one from my ipad. Looks like my answers have been saved this time though... Fingers crossed!
  • brittdee88
    brittdee88 Posts: 1,874 Member
    Yay!!! Thanks for sharing!
    I am all for the pro-wine argument LOL!
  • brittdee88
    brittdee88 Posts: 1,874 Member
    Those blogs were pretty good reads. Do you all suggest buying her book? I know you're part of her FB group, which I assume means you have it. Is it worth it?
  • jvcinv
    jvcinv Posts: 504 Member
    If you liked the blogs check out the podcast link as well, there are I think 13 podcasts.
    I listened to several last night.
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    Thanks for posting this, I'm going to be reading them both later today :)
  • wsandy8512
    Yay, I got accepted to the Delay, Don't Deny IF group. I may go ahead and get permission for their OMAD one as well.
    Thanks again for sharing this with us!
  • mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    70 MIN DRIVE???? OMG, you need the podcasts! http://podcast.ifpodcast.com/

She does OMAD and so does her co-host (they have both written books about it), but they talk about IF in general in the podcasts. The written stuff is more OMAD slanted though.

LOL yes EACH WAY lol - I'm used to it (though I am in fact moving in 2 weeks and will only be about 35-40 mins which is marginally better) - I'll check out the podcasts :)